[BHS etree] JAZZ: Ensemble takes third place at Monterey Festival

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Apr 18 16:07:13 PDT 2005

contact: Lorij54 at aol.com

Congratulations our Berkeley High School Jazz Ensemble. They took third
place at last weekend's prestigious Monterey Jazz Festival's High School
Competition. This is a national competition and to simply be chosen to
compete on this national level is extraordinary. In addition to the
Ensemble's third place showing, our own BHS Combo gave the performance of a
lifetime and place NUMBER ONE COMBO IN THE COUNTRY. Congratulations to
Jullian Pollack, Billy Buss, Andy Baltazar, Alex Greve, and Alex
Shapiro-Romano. Finally, BHS Ensemble members won a number of individual
awards: Billy Buss won a scholarship from the Berkelee School of Music'
summer program in Los Angeles. In the outstanding soloist Big Band division,
congrats go to Julian Pollack-piano and Andy Baltazar-tenor sax and in the
outstanding soloist Combo division, kudos to Billy Buss-trumpet and Julian
Pollack-piano.