[BHS etree] MISC: Students, Volunteer opportunities (3) for students

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Mon Feb 21 22:32:12 PST 2005

The etree received the following THREE opportunities for student community
service volunteers:

1. I direct a program that will involve health education to 4th and 5th
grade students in two Oakland Schools.  I wonder is BHS students interested
in science and health, might be interested in volunteering to help in this
program.  Part to the work is done at the Hall of Health on Shattuck.

Bertram Lubin, MD  [mailto:blubin at chori.org]
Children's Hospital Oakland Research Institute

3. The Museum of Children's Art (MOCHA), in downtown Oakland, is recruiting
high school students for volunteer positions as
Counselors-in-Training/Artist Assistants for its Spring Break Art Camp April
11- April 15 CITs will  work with children, creating art projects,
supervising camp activities, and assisting with art lessons taught by
professional artists.  CITs must be willing to work a morning shift from
8am-1pm or an afternoon shift from 1pm to 6pm.  Interested High School
students should call Rae Holzman at MOCHA (510) 465-8770 x 310 or check the
web at www.mocha.org.

Rae Holzman
Associate Director
Museum Programs
Museum of Children's Art (MOCHA)
538 9th St.
Oakland  CA  94607
(510) 465-8770 x 310
www.mocha.org

3. I am organizing the Ecole Bilingue of Berkeley School Fair, called La
Place du Marché (May 22) this year. I am wondering if we could get the High
School Students to come help on the day prior to the event and on the day of
the event, and have that count for their community service credits.

On the day prior to the event, it's mainly clean up of the school yard and
streets around the school. On the day of the event, it would be helping on
setting up the vendors and other booths for the early birds. Then, from 11
to 4, there are a bunch of kids activities organized and we need volunteers
to supervise and receive the tickets. Last but not least, the 4 to 7 p.m. is
clean-up time again. Parents and the older students at the school are
participating but we are always looking for ways to increase the pool of
volunteers and allow everyone to have fun at the event.

The school is dedicated to teaching French and American but it is very much
international and I think the students would have a lot of fun being around
the school community. I would also figure out a way to get them to
participate to a raffle or over fun event of that kind to motivate them (may
be food?).The event is open to more than the school as well.

let me know what you think and any help to help me figure out how to make it
happen would be great.

Nancy Philippine
245 Alvarado Road
Berkeley Ca94705