[BHS etree] SUPT: Measure B Wins Voter Approval, now recycle signs

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Nov 3 13:49:58 PST 2004

contact:  Mark Coplan [mailto:Mark_Coplan at berkeley.k12.ca.us]

Measure B Wins Voter Approval

The District is indebted once again to the generosity of this community
for their continuing commitment to public education.

We are pleased to report that Measure B, a special tax measure for the
Berkeley public schools, received approval by over 70% of the voters and
will provide funds to the schools for the next two years. About two thirds
of the money will go to lower class sizes. The remainder of the funds will
restore and enhance the library and music programs, provide staff
development, and expand parent outreach and translation services.

Not only was the community willing to make the financial sacrifices to
keep the credibility of our programs, but they gave countless hours of
time working to ensure the passage of Measure B.

The BSEP Planning and Oversight Committee has been charged with fiscal
oversight for Measure B funds. Discussions will begin immediately
regarding time lines and the most effective ways to begin implementation.

Thank you once again, community and staff for your belief in the
importance of public education.

Michele Lawrence, Superintendent
Berkeley Unified School District

note from Mark A. Coplan, Public Information Officer, BUSD

To the many citizens of Berkeley who have also worked hard, for your
candidate, your measure or your cause... For your country. We all have our
reasons to be proud. And now that the ballots are being counted it is time
for us all to work together to clean up the last remaining signs of the
race. Yes, the signs. I encourage everyone to go out into your own
neighborhoods and help the candidates clean up all of the remaining
posters and campaign material. Regardless of the writing on the sign, this
is something we can all do together, for each other. And while you are at
it, I ask that you collect all of the sign posts, both the wooden ones and
the metal 'wiggets' holding the lawn signs, and save them for a few days
while we find a way to store and recycle them. The recycling is easy. For
each 'wigget' you rescue, you will have saved one dollar in the campaign
costs for a possible ballot measure in 2006. School Board Director Nancy
Riddle is the force behind this recycling effort, and is looking for a
storage solution.

Let's clean up Berkeley together. Plans for collecting the wooden stakes
and wiggets is forthcoming. Please put the signs themselves into your own
recycling.