[BHS etree] EVENTS: Lunar eclipse Wednesday night

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Oct 26 18:09:19 PDT 2004

contact:  Lee Amosslee (510) 642-8718

Come watch the moon disappear!

Lee Amosslee, former BHS science teacher and current Lawrence Hall of
Science Science Curriculum Developer, invites you to another gathering
to watch a lunar eclipse.

* Date: Wednesday, October 27th.
* Time: 6:45 - 7:45.
* Location: Berkeley Marina.
This year we'll meet at the corner of University Avenue and Marina Blvd,
marked with a V on the map found here:
http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/marina/marinamap.html
The area is a small lawn area with trees to the west (so we won't be as
cold as last time!) and plenty of clear sky over the water to the east
(it's not supposed to be TOO cloudy).
After coming down University and getting to the stop sign at Marina
Blvd, you can make a U turn and park along the water on the south side
of University Ave.

** Timing for the eclipse **
6:58 pm   Moonrise (probably a little later due to the hills).
6:14 pm   Moon starts into earth's shadow (partial eclipse).
7:23 pm   Moon fully shadowed by earth (full eclipse).

7:45 pm   We'll probably leave, but those who want to stay
longer can wait for:

8:45 pm   Moon starts coming out of earth's shadow
9:54 pm   Moon leaves earth's shadow.

You don't need to bring anything, but if you have binoculars or a
telescope, bring them along to see the moon up close. Binoculars are a
great moon viewing tool! Hot drinks should help keep you warm.

You can see the eclipse from anywhere you can see the moon, so if you
can't make it down to the Marina, at least step outside your door.

For more information on the eclipse, visit http://www.stardate.org/
(note that their image of the eclipse shows Central Standard Times) or
http://www.chabotspace.org/. Chabot is open for those who wish to pay
for more information and have an indoor area to retreat to.

RAIN cancels the gathering.

CAUTION NOTE: No filters are needed for a LUNAR eclipse, since you will
be looking at the moon, and the sun is on the opposite side of the
earth. During a SOLAR eclipse (when the sun goes 'behind' the moon), you
need to use special filters to protect your eyes. NEVER look directly at
the sun, even if you are lucky enough to experience a full solar eclipse.

For more information, contact Lee at Lamosslee at berkeley.edu

--

Lee Amosslee
Curriculum Developer