[BHS etree] SUPT: Michele Lawrence Released From Alta Bates On Wednesday

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Tue Oct 26 18:09:18 PDT 2004

contact: Mark Coplan publicinfo at berkeley.k12.ca.us

For those of you who haven't heard, BUSD Superintendent Michele Lawrence
fell and broke her left ankle in two places and suffered torn ligaments
Sunday night. She required surgery, which took place on Monday afternoon.
The accident occurred while she was attending a block party, where she
intended to promote Measure B. While being carried away, she was
reportedly overheard saying, "Wait, just let me finish telling you about
Measure B!" I haven't been able to confirm her comments, but I believe the
report to be true.

Michele returns home on Wednesday, for what we figure could be a difficult
recovery period. Though she is already sitting up and working in her
hospital bed, mobility will be a serious issue. Many of you are aware that
Michele's immediate family are in Southern California, so any assistance
will have to come from us, her Berkeley friends and neighbors. A parent
made a suggestion that I put out a plea for help from our school
community, so here it is.

I am looking for anyone who would be willing to sign up to provide her
with a hot dinner for one or more of the next 30 days. Additionally anyone
who could help by providing a ride to or from work from the Marin Circle
area. The Superintendent usually starts her work day early, and doesn't
leave her desk until after dark, but it is likely that she will need to
get more rest then she has in the past, so the times are still to be
determined. She is not expected to return to the office until next week at
the earliest, so the most immediate need is for food.

Knowing the Superintendent, she may kick my butt (with her right foot) for
reaching out to you all, but we are her community. Any of you who have
heard her happily introduce herself as a "Berkeley resident" first and
superintendent of our schools second at the meetings she's attended this
past year will agree.

If you can help, please call her office at 644-6206, or email me at
publicinfo at berkeley.k12.ca.us.
We will put together a list and then let you know when you can participate

Mark Coplan

Mark A. Coplan
Public Information Officer, BUSD
510-644-6320