[BHS etree] ADMIN: Letter from Principal Slemp

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed Sep 8 14:08:09 PDT 2004

To:  The Berkeley High School Community

From:  Jim Slemp, Principal

First of all, I would like to report that we are having a wonderful start to
our new school year.  Students seem to be really enjoying school and are
working hard to live up to the high academic and behavior standards that we
are striving for at Berkeley High School.  I would also like to thank our
many volunteers who have helped us to start this school year so
successfully.

There have recently been a number of emails and discussions in the Berkeley
High School community regarding Academic Choice.  The purpose of this email
is to give you some accurate information regarding Academic Choice.

First of all, I remain committed to encouraging a strong Academic Choice
program that reflects the diversity of the whole school and helps meet the
goals of our School Site Plan.  (If you would like a copy of our School Site
Plan, it is available in the Administrative Office.)

Last Spring, Berkeley High's Shared Governance Committee and the School Site
Council decided that by Fall of 2005 the Academic Choice program needs to
reflect the diversity of the student population at large. This is the same
standard that was used in student placement for ninth grade students
entering small schools this Fall. During the next several months, the Site
Council and Shared Governance Committee will work to develop an action plan
to meet this goal of diversity for Academic Choice.

Reports that Academic Choice was threatened were inspired by the difference
between the number of students who expressed an initial interest in the
program last Spring and those actually enrolled in the program this fall.
Two main factors contributed to the decrease in enrollment: an elimination
of Academic Choice Math and Science classes and a decision to combine non
Academic Choice Advanced Placement classes with regular Advanced Placement
Classes.  In both cases, students who were taken out of Academic Choice
classes were offered equally challenging courses, often taught by the same
teachers.  In addition, in a few cases Academic Choice classes were
oversubscribed, as was the case with many other classes in the large school
and the small schools.  As a result, we were unable to honor some student
requests for Academic Choice classes.  With the exception of a few students
who suffered from scheduling conflicts, no 10th graders were dropped from
Academic Choice History or English.

 Academic Choice Math and Science classes were eliminated because Honors and
Advanced Placement classes, which are traditionally more rigorous, are
already available in math and science.

For Advanced Placement classes, our priority is to enroll students in the
Advanced Placement classes they signed up for even if they aren’t in
Academic Choice.  By combining Advanced Placement classes which share the
same academic standards, we have created a much more flexible schedule which
gives students a greater chance of getting all the courses they requested.
We have dramatically increased the number of Advanced Placement classes
offered at Berkeley High School with the expectation that all students may
enroll in Advanced Placement classes should they choose to do so.  There are
currently 1295 enrollees in Advanced Placement classes at Berkeley High and
418 in Honors classes.

It was also reported that a large number of students of color were dropped
from Academic Choice as a result of our combining some classes and
eliminating others.  While it is true that some students of color were
dropped from Academic Choice Honors and Advanced Placement classes, they
were the students who were in most cases placed in the equally academically
demanding Honors or Advanced Placement classes. We have worked hard to
include all students who indicated an interest in the program following
Academic Choice's Spring and Summer outreach and recruitment efforts.

Berkeley High School is committed to a rigorous and challenging academic
program in the small and large schools so that all students succeed at a
high level.  We have provided training to our staff to deliver this kind of
curriculum to our students.   We will continue our efforts to provide the
best education possible for all students.

Thank you for your support and commitment to Berkeley High School.