[BHS etree] ADMIN:Yearbook explanation

bhs at idiom.com bhs at idiom.com
Wed May 19 16:24:04 PDT 2004

contact: Lee Trampleasure Amosslee lamosslee at berkeley.k12.ca.us

Dear Students and Parents of BHS,

I am writing to you to apologize for two mistakes the yearbook class,
under my leadership, made in the past year:
1. Last year's CD supplement was never completed.
2. We missed our deadline for having names printed on the covers this year.

When I took over the yearbook class in the fall of 2003, I received a
program in good shape thanks to the previous year's advisor, Maria Kersey.
The 2004 yearbook, for the third year in a row, will again be in the black
(and continue to pay off a debt from several years ago). This year we
moved the process to 100% digital, saving us over $1,000 in film and
processing expenses. Last spring we "went out to bid" with six publishers,
and were able to get a full-color yearbook this year for the same price as
last year's 65% black and white book. This year we collaborated with
Dharini Rasiah's Video Yearbook, and the Video Yearbook is being produced
on DVD and will be distributed with the Yearbook for no additional cost.
Ms. Rasiah and I are both excited about this venture: the DVD format
allowed for creation of "chapters" in the video for quick navigating, and
the addition of surprise "extras."

But, as one stretches to improve, sometimes things don't get completed.

1. For anyone who paid the $.50 for mailing of the CD, we will offer a
refund to those who desire it. For those who don't, we will put the money
collected by the mailing fee towards our past debt. If you would like a
refund, please email me or stop by H-102 zero period.

2. About 70 students paid extra for having their names and an icon printed
on the front of the book. This is the first year we tried this, and due to
miscommunication we missed the deadline for getting the names in to the
publisher. We will have refunds available for students when they pick up
their yearbooks. These will be pre-packaged for students who paid this
extra (most paid $5, some got an extra line of text and paid $7).

Once again, I express my apologies to those who are disappointed. I'm sure
you will be pleased by this year's book. Distribution begins June 1st.

Sincerely,

Lee Amosslee

Lee Trampleasure Amosslee
Berkeley High Science Teacher and Yearbook Advisor

510-644-6856 x 2
lamosslee at berkeley.k12.ca.us

http://www.bhs.berkeley.k12.ca.us/