[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin Sep 21 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Sep 21 11:22:33 PDT 2022

Please do not reply to this email. For questions see contacts in individual messages
2022-2023 ASB Leadership
One big, red & gold family!
BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL
STUDENT BULLETIN
David D-R., Chief of Publicity
Ari F., Chief of Publicity
Valerie L, Chief of Publicity
Mr. V, Director of Student Activities
Bulletins & more  @juicethejackets Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>
BHS Leadership website <https://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>
 Video Bulletin Catalog <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wYrUhta8Zh9yi4_8eN8MCzFxsSwOWhGVcjLnLLc5OuE/edit#bookmark=id.e2ygj2vkgg49> (requires BUSD account)

Video Bulletin: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
PA: Trivia Friday with Principal Raygoza
Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>
September 21, 2022
Here is today’s video bulletin:

 bulletin 92122.mp4 <https://drive.google.com/file/d/141ZLTXgoWK4ouiyqgKLQn3gUx17JaO4T/view?usp=drive_web> bulletin 92122.mp4

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS

Gs Who Code
Do you identify as a girl or are gender nonconforming? Are you interested in learning to code, or already love coding and want to meet and hang out with others who share your nerdy vibes? Then come to the first official meeting of Gs Who Code, this Thursday at lunch in the H205 computer lab. Gs Who Code plans to offer mentorship, workshops, activities and camaraderie for girls and gender non-conforming students interesting in computer science. Come say hello and see what we're all about!

Submitted by shoshanaokeefe at berkeley.net <mailto:shoshanaokeefe at berkeley.net>

Jazz @ Lunch
Hello BHS -- we are psyched to announce the beginning of our Jazz at Lunch series, starting this Friday, 9/23 with the BHS Jazz Ensemble.

Concerts will run through lunchtime, and are located between the portables and the M gym (on the basketball court).

Bring a bag lunch and join us -- we are excited to play for you!

Submitted by sarahcline at berkeley.net <mailto:sarahcline at berkeley.net>

US Military and Joint Advertising Market Research Studies (JAMRS)

Each year we give 11th and 12th students the opportunity to opt-out of having contact information shared with the US Military and Joint Advertising Market Research Studies (JAMRS).
We are using an opt-out google form for submission only if you would like to opt-out.

Please submit the Google Form by Friday, September 30, 2022
See more information below.

            Opt-out form here <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15jboN0M9wJDBNca7EhMDAmZClsKnWJNVH6ZMxDHkSYU/edit> using this link.

Release & Disclosure of Student Info.
By law, the school is obligated to give the names, home addresses, and phone numbers of juniors and seniors to the US military.
If you DO NOT want to be contacted by the military, you can submit the form by Friday, September 30, 2022,
If you DO want to be contacted, do nothing.

Joint Advertising Market Research Studies (JAMRS)
The JAMRS database is funded by the Department of Defense with the goal of maximizing recruitment efforts.
Though your personal information is probably already in the database, you can prevent the release of your info to military recruiters.

If you WANT to be removed, you can submit the Opt-out form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15jboN0M9wJDBNca7EhMDAmZClsKnWJNVH6ZMxDHkSYU/edit> using this link.
by Friday, September 30, 2022

Submitted by tammyrose at berkeley.net <mailto:tammyrose at berkeley.net>
IMPORTANT PREVIOUSLY SHARED ANNOUNCEMENTS

Teen Reproductive Justice

The Reproductive Justice Protest is being moved to next Wednesday, the 28th on international sexuality and reproductive rights day in order to not coincide with the climate protest. It will take place from 10-12 and is  meant to leverage teenage power to show how we are affected by the overturn of roe v wade and will not sit still while our rights are taken away. For more information check out teenreprojustice on instagram.

@teenreprojustice

BeeHS Beekeeping Club
- Looking for students to co-chair the BeeHS Beekeeping Club.
- We need bees and bees need our help.
- Are you interested in helping bees pollinate our community?
- Do you want to learn how to harvest honey?
- Contact Declan Hamill if you are interested in co-chairing and/or joining this club.

Submitted by DeclanHamill at students.Berkeley.net <mailto:DeclanHamill at students.Berkeley.net>

BHS Female Athletes Strength and Conditioning Club
A message from the BHS Female Athletes Strength and Conditioning Club: *we have our own short video* we also have an instagram (@female.athletes.s.c) and this is the link to the registration form <https://forms.gle/JNDZeSoMqVzkE78d9>.

AUDITION for the BERKELEY HIGH TALENT SHOW in NOVEMBER
There will be a talent show on Friday night, November 4th in the Little Theater! We will have auditions in early October weeks before the show, so get your act together and show us what you got!

Sign up for an audition time here. <https://forms.gle/E49mSvGuooiLmgk88>
And follow our Instagram @bhsleadership2025 and read the bulletin to get more info about ticket sales and sign ups.

 @bhsleadership2025

A Tropical Homecoming Dance
A Tropical Homecoming Dance is coming to Berkeley High on October 15th. The Junior Class Leadership team is collaborating with the Poly Club to put on an amazing evening of island vibes. Guests can expect light food options, food and beverage for sale, karaoke, performances, and free photo booth pics. Guests will also have access to professional photography at an extra cost. This is a semi-formal event for all grades 9-12. For this dance, no non-BHS students will be allowed. Students will have their names screened for any attendance and/or discipline issues.

A Tropical Homecoming Dance Tickets Sold Here <https://berkeleyunified.hometownticketing.com/embed/event/86?es=2gh708qht88ls4ga0i50iurasm&single=0>
Tickets go on sale next Monday, September 26 online only.
There will be a limited number of tickets available so buy early.

We need parent or staff volunteers!
And if you are a parent or staff member looking to support the event, please contact parent volunteer coordinator, Yolanda Brown-Clark <mailto:yolandabrownclark at berkeley.net>.

@bhs2024leadership
@bhspolyclub_

This week in BHS Athletics!

BHS Boys Soccer

Attention: All students interested in playing Boys Soccer at Berkeley High this winter. The annual preseason meeting will be held at 3pm on Sunday, October 2nd at the Sports Basement in Berkeley – 2727 Milvia St. By the meeting students should have registered for tryouts through Home Campus (on the BHS Athletics website at berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>) and submitted, or at least scheduled, a physical exam. Coaches will provide program history, the arc of the season and tryout details. Students and parents are welcome, at least one representative from each family should plan to attend.

Atención: Todos los estudiantes interesados en jugar Boys Soccer en Berkeley High este invierno. La reunión anual de pretemporada se llevará a cabo a las 3 p.m. el domingo 2de Octubre  en el Sports Basement en Berkeley - 2727 Milvia St. Para la reunión, los estudiantes deben haberse registrado para las pruebas a través de Home Campus(en el sitio web de BHS at  berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>) y haber presentado un examen físico. Los entrenadores proporcionarán la historia del programa y los detalles de la prueba. Los estudiantes y los padres son bienvenidos, al menos un representante de cada familia debe planear asistir.

Contact stace at bandworks.com <mailto:stace at bandworks.com>
@bhsmenssoccer

Here are this week’s home games.
On Monday,
Girls Golf plays at Tilden Park.
Girls Hockey play Redwood. Varsity at 4:00 pm and JV at 5:15.
On Wednesday,
Water Polo plays Piedmont in the BHS Natatorium. Boys JV at 4:00. Boys Varsity at 4:45. Girls JV at 5:45. Girls Varsity at 6:30
On Friday
Football takes on Castro Valley. JV at 4:30. Varsity at 7:00.

Student BHS Athletics Season Passes
Student BHS Athletics Season Passes are on sale again this Thursday at lunch in front of the Donahue. For $30, you get unlimited access to home ticketed sports events (volleyball, water polo, football, soccer, basketball, lacrosse). We accept cash, credit, and debit. [note: there is a fee for CC/Debit cards].

CAN'T MAKE IT TO A GAME? STREAM HOME GAMES FOR FREE
Watch the YouTube <https://www.youtube.com/c/BHSAthleticsYellowJackets> stream of home Football, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Basketball, Soccer, and lacrosse games for free.

Click here to get registered for winter or spring sports <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration?authuser=0>.
berkeleyhighathletics.org <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/home>
Twitter @BHSjacketSports <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/>

Go Jackets!

Saturday Academic Support Session
October 1, 2022 from 9am-12pm
Food Provided!

Do you need a quiet, focused place to get work done?
Do you want to get your grades up?
Would you like to get 3 unexcused absences cleared at once?
Would you like some extra tutoring support?

If so, please join us!
All I need from you is to fill out this brief google form to RSVP <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSffbd47ScdUvagwLnhC5FXna6GyPrtetkVieGVdrmOQppnqhQ/viewform>.

We look forward to having you join us!

Submitted by cassandratesch at berkeley.net <mailto:cassandratesch at berkeley.net>

Class of 2023 Senior Portrait Update
Seniors, there will be one more round of portrait appointments on campus in mid-October. If you have yet to take your portraits with Prestige, you should expect to receive an email reminder in early October. You must take a portrait with Prestige by Thanksgiving Break if you want to have that photo in the yearbook. After this next round of appointments you should expect to travel to Prestige’s Hayward office if needed.
Prestige Portraits will send out appointment information by email and mail 14 days prior to the appointment. Also, students will get appointment information 7 days, 3 days, and 24 hours prior to the appointment.  If you would like to cancel or change the appointment time they can call 877-825-7922 or email us at byarea at lifetouch.com <mailto:byarea at lifetouch.com>. Please let Prestige know if you have any questions.

If you would like to take your portraits on a different date than what is listed above, please schedule an appointment with Prestige at their Hayward office <https://www.google.com/maps?cid=15429473368053727856>.

Petition to Graduate Early
And Seniors, If you are thinking about completing your graduation requirements by the end of the first semester,  you will need to complete the Petition to Graduate Early Form <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F-CH0p3ZiGd2UCJqBvESXL633kJcMiPd/view?usp=sharing> and submit it to your counselor or to the Registrar’s Office before 3 p.m., Friday, October 7th 2022

Submitted by bhsregistrar at berkeley.net <mailto:bhsregistrar at berkeley.net>

Free & Reduced Meals Verification
Families should complete an EZ Meal App <http://secure.ezmealapp.com/> in order to receive benefits under the free & reduced lunch program. If determined to qualify, students can receive discounts to school events (prom, graduation, etc.) among other testing discounts if they have completed forms on file with B.U.S.D. Once determined to qualify for free & reduced meals, Nutrition Services will send a paper copy of the eligibility letter to the home mailing address. To receive the discount, this paper copy or digital photo of the eligibility letter will be shown to school officials overseeing the school event. Families can also request an eligibility letter if they completed the Alternative Income Form at registration.

If a household needs another letter they should contact Sara Leon either through saraleon at berkeley.net <mailto:saraleon at berkeley.net> or nutritionservices at berkeley.net <mailto:nutritionservices at berkeley.net>. This information is protected by right to privacy so we are not able to provide this information to minors or someone other than the head of household. Requests can be made by phone 510.644.6200 or through email, or by US mail 2020 Bonar Street, Suite 1, Berkeley CA, 94702. Nutrition Services require up to three days to process their request as these do not tend to come in one at a time.

Participate in the Bell Schedule Redesign

Berkeley High School is investigating the way we use instructional time through a Bell Schedule Redesign Process which will culminate in a recommendation for a potential redesigned bell schedule. This work is led by the Bell Schedule Committee. You can find more information about the Bell Schedule Redesign Process at this website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/bell-schedule-redesign/>. Please join us for a Community Town Hall prior to Back To School Night in the BHS Library. Students, staff, and families are welcome to join.

Community Town Hall
Who: Staff, Students, and Families
What: Presentation and Q&A
When: Thursday September 22 4:30-5:30
Where: BHS Library

Submitted by harrisonblatt at berkeley.net <mailto:harrisonblatt at berkeley.net>

Youth Speaks
Do you love to write? Are you interested in participating in free Bay Area wide workshops, open mics, poetry slams, and more? Check out Youth Speaks. We offer free after school writing workshops in the fall and spring both online and in the SF office. Interested in performing? Come through to the Open mic & teen poetry slam every 2nd Friday out in the mission.

Everything is 100% free!
For more info and to sign up, go to youthspeaks.org <http://youthspeaks.org/>. Don't wait! Spots are limited!

Yearbook Quotes
Calling all seniors! Its time for you to submit your 2022-2023 Yearbook quotes! Click here the form link <https://linktr.ee/bhsyearbook510> or visit our instagram bio (@berkeleyearbook). Be sure to read your quote VERY carefully as you only get one submission and alterations will not be accepted. Get them in ASAP to ensure that they make it into the 2022-2023 book!!

Submitted by bhsyearbook at berkeley.net <mailto:bhsyearbook at berkeley.net>
@berkeleyearbook

High School Voter Registration Week

High School Voter Registration Week (Sept. 19-23) <http://url4553.thecivicscenter.org/ls/click?upn=-2Fg-2F5oaKBitjmCoa85d30XKe-2B8q-2F7B5W-2F5JVQSyTTULiunwwvAAU-2B4PA53yeJGjbiUm6M_MHFtQq8nU3xKaIQzDilrgY74wZEGN-2BawyEvTRXO43eokkQfQTWT6pNQXoXI-2FlEBpr9L8O88ux6yraX5FxuNj2TzIMdlznkR1YP0LnMQYCL2ED33kk1s3lCLIBilgkKDWsMuOY2MfCOnLJSWOeAKn9zUny1uRQzYdzda4d2vxEopD-2ByB07t119Yva964USMjvzLKds-2Fl2wLT4YPEiqAxOrlHGmAMFIN85jLFA5o-2F-2Bu0n7q3e4Syqqf-2B-2BxxclpKpH7S6SOZNYgraRfp7HAEkLDaxVj72vqpeR6IMv6hPSrlllO8SylNU-2BfLGp-2Fp7w400-2FEQsNSISAd7d-2B-2BZgzC5VMzeqI6cPitX4-2Fdo57tKCO8l8w24jLlbOFMcNR9IAIqJg-2BDwNkiL0xbIvVo2OhkxvXgNojpJLZIK30B8p0umufXY7M-3D> is a national week of action for students to engage in service learning to help everyone eligible in their high school communities to register to vote.

One million high school students will be old enough to vote in November if they get registered. You and your friends can lead the way in making sure these young citizens are given a meaningful opportunity to register and vote!
This Thursday at lunch on the campus green, the Alameda County Registrar of Voters will register 18 year olds to vote or pre-register any 16-17 year olds. And don’t wait, you can register to vote online right now <https://registertovote.ca.gov/> at registertovote.ca.gov <https://registertovote.ca.gov/>.

Student Election Workers
The Alameda County Registrar of Voters (ROV) is preparing to appoint Student Election Workers to serve in the Tuesday, November 8, 2022, General Election
We truly appreciate your leadership in promoting participation on your campus. ROV encourages Student Election Workers that are available all 4 days will have a better chance of being appointed.
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION <https://alamedacountyregistrarofvoters.cmail19.com/t/j-l-vilhuhl-dtdykjkdtu-y/>
We are following mandates from County and State COVID-19 requirements. Personal Protective Equipment will be provided during training and voting dates.
Students can earn between $495 - $520 and bilingual election workers can earn an extra $25 for the highest amount. If you have friends or family that are looking to earn extra money and community service experience, please pass on this high school application to them.
If you are no longer a student in high school, you are still strongly encouraged to participate as your experience and tech-savviness will help as we introduce our new electronic voting system to our voters.
The Student Poll Worker Program is truly a “Civics in Action” exercise.
High school students must meet the following criteria to participate:
Be age 16 or older on or before October, 29th, 2022
Have a GPA of 2.5 or greater
Have permission from a parent/guardian and a school administrator
Approval is not needed for weekend hours from school

Make-up Student ID Dates
Students must carry their student ID cards on their person at all times while on the BHS campus. These are the open time slots for all students who need to take their first photo of the 2022-23 school year. Photos be will taken in the BHS Cafeteria (D-Building)

Monday, October 17: before school, at lunch or after school

Quick Links
Need a Replacement Student ID? Replacement ID Form <https://forms.gle/JeV7JLVzAn9qw4YG8> (please take a new 2022-23 ID photo first)
WELCOME ASSEMBLY slide deck <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1WfVCEqOqrvvhzZKAoDxjz7zouMwo5C1L1_UNYpRJ8Ps/edit?usp=sharing>
Need a Locker? Visit C210 or complete this form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIF6PhqXosut77pNPDER7txZAiuA7YE9XiKDByk9VFnGD8Pw/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
Make a BHS Health Center Appt. Click here <https://cityofberkeley.jotform.com/213505530585857>

--
Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2022-2023 Calendar <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/BUSD-Calendar-K12-22-23.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

To unsubscribe from the E-tree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list. If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>