[BHS Etree] MISC: Book Donations

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Sep 19 20:54:59 PDT 2022

Please do not reply to this email. For questions contact arynfaur at berkeley.net <mailto:arynfaur at berkeley.net>

Hi beloved BHS family,

I teach ELD, an English class for immigrant newcomers. These are some of our most diligent students, but they also have the greatest need for resources. I want to surround them with irresistible books.

I teach a level of ELD in which students begin to develop the stamina to read whole novels, but at a lower reading level. So I'm on the hunt for SPECIFIC middle school/elementary novels and graphic novels for my class. Please focus only on these, or very hot titles, or hit me up and offer suggestions? I just don't want a bunch of books that aren't right for them or that I already have.

In the interest of carbon neutrality, I'd LOVE USED books that are in attractive, good shape but will also accept donations of new books. (I will hopefully write a grant for a more robust class library soon.) Please leave books for me in a bag labeled with my name in the main office. THANK YOU!

Here are some of the big titles/series I'm looking for:
I would especially love any graphic adaptations of more literary novels or classics such as The Golden Compass.
Believe it or not, I'll also take CD audiobooks if you have them of REALLY GOOD middle grade novels:

The "Who was" historic person series
Science Comics
Dork Diaries
The Series of Unfortunate Events
The "I Survived" series
Spiderwick Chronicles
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Unlikely Friendships (there's a ton of these-the shorter the better)
Any and all good graphic novels: Bone, Raina Telgemeier, Amulet, Locke and Key, Hilo, Babysitter's Club, El Deafo, etc (I have Maus, Persepolis already- NO MANGA, please)
Emmie and Friends Series
Sammy Keyes
Rules
Counting by 7s
Middle School by James Patterson
Lightning thief series Rick Riordan
Anything written by Sharon Draper
Ms Marvel (a Muslim female protagonist!)
Listen, Slowly
Lucky Broken Girl
Dealing with Dragons Series- Patricia Wrede
The Wild Robot series
Mockingjay and Catching Fire (already have the first one)
Yes, Harry Potter!
Anything by Kate Barnhill

Beautiful picture books about nature, history, money, health, anxiety, self care, etc  with a reasonable amount of text that are not babyish.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Aryn Faur (she/her)
proud teacher for "The Foundress <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/thefoundress/home>" literary magazine
and English for the Multilingual Program for Newcomers
 at Berkeley High

I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think . -Socrates

--
Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2022-2023 Calendar <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/BUSD-Calendar-K12-22-23.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

To unsubscribe from the E-tree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list. If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>

PLEASE NOTE: The system will send a confirmation email; the subscription or unsubscription will not be complete until you follow the link in that email and confirm that you want to subscribe or unsubscribe. Tip: Check your spam folder if you do not see the confirmation message shortly after you subscribe/unsubscribe!