[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Attendance Make-Up Opportunity and Saturday School

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sat Sep 17 22:19:46 PDT 2022

Greetings BHS Families,

Please do not reply to this email. Contact cassandratesch at berkeley.net with
questions

Hello. The purpose of this email is to share a few updates with you about:

   1.

   Attendance Intervention Program (Making up unexcused absences/cuts)
   2.

   Data
   3.

   Saturday School
   4.

   Coming up next..

I. Attendance Intervention Program ( the not-so- ‘detention’)

The Attendance Intervention Program (AIP) is a way for students to make-up
time they have missed from classes due to cutting class or having unexcused
absences.  This system historically was utilized by 11th and 12th graders
who wanted to access prom or work permits but had 30+ unexcused absences.
In order to build on the existing asset of this system and create an
equitable one that is accessible to all students, we have invited all
students who have 1 CUT or 3+ unexcused absences to access AIP to make-up
their cuts/unexcused absences.   Once students complete 1 hour of
tutorials, their attendance gets credited with the distinction of “MAK” -
which indicates that they successfully completed 1 hour tutorial session.

What students can do:

What staff must do:

What the attendance office does

Students can access tutoring with any teacher, through the CCC, Black
Scholars, RISE, or any other school-based tutorial program.  They get to
choose any option they prefer.

Each One Hour = 1 Attendance Make-up credit

Staff submit
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XYtApFss_cgD2DQpAJYlK6QVObrxnHdDuSRCLePXxeQ/edit>
a form to the attendance office to give the student credit for completing
their tutorials

Every week the Attendance office collects the data and makes changes on IC.

You will see the code MAK that indicates your child has earned a make-up
period credit through attending tutorials.

How do students get notified if they are assigned to AIP?

Students get email invitations when they are assigned to AIP based on
attendance. Otherwise, they might be provided the suggestions in person
through a check-in or attendance meeting. Parents can also assign their
children to AIP by encouraging them to take advantage of this program.

II. Data

Tutorial Make up system Data:

Who has accessed the MAK system according to Infinite Campus?

The first 5 weeks of the 2022-2023 School Year

The 2021-2022 School Year

80

Students

232

Students

III. *Saturday School*

Saturday School is optional and open to everyone!

We are hosting our first Saturday School on Saturday, October 1st from
9am-12pm in the M Building.  Food will be provided.

Every student is invited to attend, but this is specifically designed for
students who have had unexcused absences or who are currently not passing 1
or more classes.  Additionally, any student who needs a quiet place to get
work done can also join us.   It is not mandatory, but we highly encourage
you to encourage your child to attend if they have any attendance or
academic needs.  Every student who attends can receive 3 period make-up
credits.

All I need from you is to fill out this brief google form to
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSffbd47ScdUvagwLnhC5FXna6GyPrtetkVieGVdrmOQppnqhQ/viewform>RSVP
so we can plan for food.

IV. Coming up next…Positive Incentives!

We are currently working on designing some positive incentives around
attendance.  If you have any ideas about ways we could positively impact
student attendance, please drop your feedback in this form here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeXtjTsEaHV_swIVclC7uqwJpDZ_kse_mJFj0zrNdtqJY8rHg/viewform>
.

--
Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2022-2023 Calendar
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/BUSD-Calendar-K12-22-23.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list. If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

word only in the subject line: subscribe.

PLEASE NOTE: The system will send a confirmation email; t*he subscription
or unsubscription **will not be complete until you follow the link in that
email and confirm that you want to subscribe or unsubscribe*. Tip: Check
your spam folder if you do not see the confirmation message shortly after
you subscribe/unsubscribe!