[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Confronting Hate as a School Community

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Jun 10 15:20:08 PDT 2022

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please contact Principal Juan Raygoza at juanraygoza at berkeley.net <mailto:juanraygoza at berkeley.net>.

Dear BHS Community,

Racial hate and acts of cruelty are often the result of dehumanizing others.  Individuals who think of others as somehow less than them, or less human, give themselves permission to directly and purposely target others for harm. It is with a heavy heart that I write today to report something deeply hateful that recently occurred at BHS–something clearly meant to dehumanize and hurt beloved members of our school community.  This hate incident was reprehensible and unacceptable. I am asking that you join me in standing against this incident and all forms of hate.

On May 26, a group of BHS students reported finding a large amount of hate speech containing hurtful racial slurs and hateful language and images, including swastikas, the “N” word, and the letters “KKK,”  in a girl’s restroom in the M building. This hate incident, which targeted members of our school community, was profoundly upsetting to many–most especially to targeted students.

I want to thank the students who reported this incident and who have asked that BHS address it. These students are rightfully seeking a better, more inclusive, affirming, and supportive BHS community where everyone is treated with kindness and respect. Make no mistake, written words and symbols can profoundly harm others. Some of our students were deeply shaken by this hate incident.  Others felt unsafe. I am deeply sorry for those who were harmed and appreciative of their courageous activism to confront this incident and stop hate in our community.

Please know that this incident is already under investigation, and the district is fully committed to supporting BHS in this investigation. We have been working to identify the perpetrators. We fully recognize that hate incidents that are not properly addressed can escalate to hate violence. For that reason, we are deeply committed to identifying the perpetrators.

If anyone in our school community has information about this hate incident, I ask that you speak up. This is what we must do to protect each other and to foster a healthy, safe, and positive educational environment at BHS. You can share what you know by emailing me or you can also share any tips anonymously to the Title IX Office via nondiscrimination at berkeley.net <mailto:nondiscrimination at berkeley.net>.

While our staff has engaged for the last several years in antiracist professional development, this incident reminds us that this work must be community wide. We have much work ahead of us–work that each and every one of us must engage in. If you were harmed by this or any other hate incident, or if you would like to be an ally to those who were harmed, please consider reviewing some of these important resources for students and families:

Resilience Following Hate Crimes: Information and Tips <https://www.nmvvrc.org/media/hcnphst3/tipsheet16.pdf>
Talking to Children After Racial Incidents <https://www.gse.upenn.edu/news/talking-children-after-racial-incidents>
Talk and Take Action: Parents’ and Caregivers’ Guide to Countering Antisemitism <https://s3.amazonaws.com/nickhelps.com-qa/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/02164012/Nick_TTA_ANTISEMITISIM_Parents-10.25.pdf>
Talking to Children About Hate Crimes <https://www.nmvvrc.org/media/wbuhhigx/tipsheet17.pdf>
Parent Family, and Caregiver Resources <https://www.adl.org/resources/tools-and-strategies/parent-family-and-caregiver-resources>
How Adults Can Support the Mental Health of Black Children <https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_adults_can_support_mental_health_black_children>
I hope we can learn from this incident as a school community and understand the significant harm that it has caused. All students have a right to learn in a safe, anti-racist, affirming, and inclusive space. There is no room for hate at Berkeley High School.
Thank you.

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

To unsubscribe from the E-tree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>