[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin, May 2 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 2 15:56:07 PDT 2022

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, visit the
Bulletin link for submission instructions.

5.2 VIDEO BULLETIN: STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK, CLASS OF 22 UPDATES, MUFFIN
CLUB, ATHLETICS UPDATES, STAR WARS WEEK & more buzz...

2021-2022 ASB Leadership

*One **big**, red & gold family!*

*BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL *

*STUDENT BULLETIN*

Lottie D., Chief of Publicity

Adam W., Chief of Publicity

Jack W., Chief of Publicity

Mr. V, Director of Student Activities

Bulletins & more  @Juicethejackets Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

 Video Bulletin Catalog
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16dVBsMWuRjCYT_Ubp2gnQeE6ZCSa33WSyJB3ZcDdk1A/edit#bookmark=id.e2ygj2vkgg49>
(requires BUSD account)

Video Bulletin: Monday, Wednesday, Friday (shorter)

PA: Trivia Friday with Principal Raygoza

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

*May 2, 2022*

*Here is today’s video bulletin:*

  *Bulletin 5122.mp4*
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FXdJi15xWPIQWyKREKz9si4v1aViRX_B/view?usp=drive_web>

*apologies..no captions. I may have maxxed out all options for the free
subscription :(

*NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS*

*BHS Athletics Update*

Hopefully you are avid followers of the @BHSJacketSports Twitter
<https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports>and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/bhsjacketsports/> pages. If so, then you know
all this. What a week it has been for BHS Sports with tons of excitement
ahead! *AS ALWAYS,* bookmark and check berkeleyhighathletics.org for
everything you want to know about BHS sports including how to get some sweet
BHS Spirit Wear!
<https://sideline.bsnsports.com/schools/california/berkeley/berkeley-high-school>

   - Crew put forth an inspiring effort last weekend with *six first place
   finishes*
   <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1518691206691131392>*. *They
   will be sending several boats to Nationals in NJ at the end of this month!
   - Swimming and Tennis traveled to Chabot College on Friday and Saturday
   for league championships. 3 BHS swimming records fell and the girls
   swimming team also won the WACC championship! Luke Swiggett set a new
   200M IM time,
   <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1520145923162009600> Bri
   Smythe set a new standard for the 100M Fly and Bri Smyth, Marta Maninetti,
   Zuleika Magdaleno, and Talulla Miller-Ross set a new 200M medley relay
   record.  <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1520145923162009600>Sophomore
   Leighton Sproul owned the Chabot College tennis court, defeating all his
   opponents on his way to a WACC Championship singles title!
   <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1520815438493495296>
   - Lucien and Liam qualified for NCS and Phoebe took 3rd in the WACC.
   https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1519775300560687104
   - Baseball and Softball crushed
   <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DUHXApJum5BU67XAhadRcvfyItkzXguB/view?usp=sharing>
   the competition last week - Softball beat O'Dowd and San Leandro by a
   combined score of 26 to 3 and baseball swept O'Dowd
   <https://twitter.com/b_h_s_baseball/status/1520267262069944320> in two
   excellent pitching duels that included some clutch hitting and
defense. Baseball's
   senior day is this Wednesday (5/4) and Softball's senior day is Friday (5/6)
   <https://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/>
   - Girls lacrosse had an incredible double overtime victory in the WACC
   semis on Wednesday against Piedmont
   <https://twitter.com/LaxBerkeley/status/1519539347636178944> and
   advanced to the finals for the first time in years.
   - Track is preparing for League championships on Thursday and Saturday
   of this week. Congrats to Sonia Delangle
   <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KVPmM-yLHiQ7xcK_PjJIhzWouDSVFjgu/view?usp=sharing>
   for breaking the Clash of the Titans track and field meet record for the
   high jump this past weekend!
   - Badminton took 2 out of 3 matches last week and heads into League
   Championships this coming weekend. Watch out for the dynamic duo of
   Jenny Shen and Jackie Dai
   <https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcRUDgJJ366/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link>
   - they're amazing!
   - Congrats to boys lacrosse for finishing up a very successful 12-8
   season <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1520608642256367616>.
   They earned a spot in the division 1 playoffs and travel to Concord on
   Tuesday to take on De La Salle. Good luck boys!
   - On Thursday, the boys volleyball team capped a tremendous regular
   season <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports/status/1519863768171180032>
   with a thrilling 5 set victory over O'Dowd to finish the season 16-1. They
   earned the #5 seed in the Division 1 NCS playoffs and *host San Leandro
   AT HOME at 7PM on Tuesday 5/3!!!*

*TICKETS for Lacrosse and Volleyball NCS games can be found here: *
*https://gofan.co/app/school/CA22867* <https://gofan.co/app/school/CA22867>

*HERE is the rest of the week's schedule*
<https://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/>

And if you cannot make out to the games, make sure to subscribe to the BHS
Athletics YouTube channel to watch all of the live or on replay
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkWWhXu6tGWZDyvjIdlX2Fw>.

   -  Check out the calendar to go support your Yellow Jackets!
   - Link to game calendar
   <https://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/>
   - For upcoming games & scores, visit
   - Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

*Muffin Club*

Do you like muffins? Do you also like discord? Then join our muffin discord
server!

Go to https://discord.gg/W6k6UWtf and come share your love of muffins with
us. We have muffin memes, muffin menu, and the 10 muffin commandments!
Also, we will use the server to share important updates about the next
International Muffin Day.

Submitted by benjaminlemkin at students.berkeley.net

*IMPORTANT PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS BELOW*

*Club Registration for 2022-2023*

Do you and your friends want to start a student club? Listen up. The club
registration form for the 2022-2023 school year is now open. All new and
returning student clubs should register now before the end of the school
year. You will need at least two student leaders, a certificated staff
sponsor, a space to meet on campus and to submit a club constitution. If
your club wishes to spend or collect funds, then you will need to submit a
budget. For more information about starting a student club at Berkeley
High, please see the club guidelines linked in the bulletin.

Student Club Registration Form <https://forms.gle/mRwjv44bzUs6WLL17>

Club Guidelines <https://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/?page_id=25>

And for all returning clubs, you should be discussing the leadership
transition from this school year to next school year right now before
summer starts.

*BHS Food Pantry on Tuesday, May 3rd*

Hello BHS Students, Staff, and Community,

Please come to the food pantry this Tuesday, May 3rd, from 3-4pm. We will
be distributing fresh produce, dairy, protein, pantry staples, and some
surprise items. Please bring your own bags. Thank you for your support and
collaboration to help keep our BHS community healthy and strong.

Submitted by debrahill at berkeley.net

*FILM FEST*

The Film fest club has been working toward putting on a student film
festival all year! Come join us in the little theater on May 21st from
7-8:30 pm to support student short films. Everything submitted has been
truly amazing and we can’t wait to share this work with the bhs community.
Tickets are free and available at the door!

Submitted by  Maiakesler at students.berkeley.net &
Dahliahellerstein at students.berkeley.net

@Bhsfilmfest

*Guardian Project*

Guardian has been growing and it’s been so great to see our youth
developing in skill, strength, and confidence. We have classes 5 days a
week at 5pm, 5 partnered restaurants offering free healthy meals, free
academic tutoring and even entry for youth to local tournaments.

We have space for more students to take advantage of these opportunities so
I was wondering if maybe we could get this video on a morning announcements
coming up to spread awareness of our free program. Even more exciting is
that youth that begin training here, once they age out at 19 years old will
be fully sponsored to train with adults at Ralph Gracie Berkeley next door.
If you are able to put the video on morning announcements please just add
that interested youth can apply through our website www.guardiangym.org on
our application form and will find all information there about the program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPmcCooKdkI

Submitted by Calder Powers, BHS Alumni <calder at guardiangym.org>

*not a BUSD-affiliated organization.*

*Seeking Graduation Performers & Speakers*

We are looking for a speech or performance that represents the heart and
spirit of the Class of 2022. We are also looking to represent the wide
range of personalities and experiences that have happened over your last
four years at BHS. Auditions could be for a speech, spoken word, song,
band, dance, etc…

Please submit a video clip of your audition speech or performance by May 2.

GRAD AUDITION <https://forms.gle/Cwp9D69TyEWWUrdj8>

Submitted by Mr. V

*Support AHA Art in the Custom Culture Contest*

As of right now your students/parents/school district and beyond are
allowed to vote (once a day) for your designs – please note that voting
ends on May 6th at 5PM PST.

https://customculture.vans.com/ <https://customculture.vans.com/2022/login>

Click – VOTE NOW to register to vote!

“Our students would like to bring public art projects to our school and
wider community as a service learning project. We would use the money to
work with guest artists, buy art supplies and support students in creating
accessible artwork that responds to community needs, We would for example
work with local elementary schools to create murals on their campuses, work
with the city to transform utility boxes into art and maybe create a
community garden on campus with sculptural elements. Thank you for
considering us and giving us an opportunity to collaborate on this
project!”

Submitted by miriamstahl at berkeley.net

*BE A LINK LEADER! APPLICATIONS DUE MAY 2*

For 9th grade Orientation this August, we are looking for upperclassmen
from all learning communities to be a friendly face to the incoming 9th
graders in their first interaction with BHS as a student. Link Leaders
provide a warm welcome and introduction to the incoming 9th graders and
older new-to-BHS students at orientation.

You will partner with another upperclassmen to guide a small group of 9th
graders through community building activities, a campus tour, and a few
registration tasks.

If you are kind, generous, spirited or just want to make a positive
difference on campus, then you should consider becoming a small group
leader for 9th grade orientation. Members of the Class of 2023, 2024 or
2025 are eligible to participate. Our goal is to recruit enough group
leaders to make group sizes from 4-6 9th graders.

Due Date May 2.

2022-2023 LEADERSHIP APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE HERE
<https://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/?page_id=21>

Submitted by Mr. V

*The Jacket Honors Asian American & Pacific Islander Month*

May is Asian American and Pacific Islander History Month. The Jacket is
accepting student submissions for our celebratory issue! Any student can
submit a piece of work to the Jacket honoring this month and what it
represents. Submissions are due on Sunday, May 8th by 7pm. Please send your
work to Lianna Leung, liannaleung at students.berkeley.net

*Reminders for Class of 2022 Graduates*

*CAP & GOWN PICK UP APRIL 29 & GRAD PERFORMERS & GRAD RSVP FORM*

Class of 2022 Graduation Ceremony

Berkeley High School Jacket Stadium

Saturday, June 4

Last Names A-K 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

Last Names L-Z 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Entrance Milvia St. & Bancroft Way opens up 60 minutes before each ceremony

Watch the 2022 Livestream for each ceremony
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZB_ZVmbS0&list=PLz1tylbrICf2VNkpTWpqxvvXybaPMVYEC>

Watch 2021 ceremony replays, click here <http://bit.ly/watchBHSgrad21>.

We will share any updates regarding graduation directly via student email,
the BHS e-tree, the BHS website, this section of the senior letter
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/senior-information-2/>
among other means.

*Wristbands**: *All graduating students from BHS, BIS and BTA can receive
up to six wristbands for the large graduation ceremony on June 4. Each
graduate will also receive one wristband for themselves. We plan to post an
RSVP form closer to May 1.

*Every person attending, regardless of age, must have a wristband for
entrance.*

*Wristband Distribution Schedule*

Graduates can receive up to six wristbands based on their RSVP form
<https://forms.gle/2MG38GGmFfPGydvj8>* response. More details about date
and times of wristband distribution will take place closer to May 1.
*currently form only accessible to BUSD accounts.

*GRAD PERFORMER AUDITIONS*

Graduates, if you would like to make a speech or give a performance, please
complete this audition form by May 1. Please note that these auditions only
apply to the BHS Graduation and do not apply to any of the SLC/Cultural
celebrations which may have their own process. Please review the guidelines
on the form.

GRAD PERFORMER AUDITION FORM <https://forms.gle/NzWfLYaVyvkhNxw17>

*CAP & GOWN*

A cap, gown, and tassel will be required for the large June 4 graduation.
Each SLC/Cultural celebration may have their own preferences for dress.

Graduation orders can be placed at any time online, by phone or by mail.
Achievers Inc. handles orders for just the cap and gown as well as rings,
announcements, grad swag and even graduation packages. Cap & gowns are
traditionally worn at an in-person graduation. Consider using a cap & gown
for senior portraits, graduation pictures, at home celebrations as well as
any of graduation activities to be confirmed in the spring.

Online: GraduationOrder.com <http://graduationorder.com/>  (password
*bhs510*)

Phone: 408.441.7200 Monday - Friday   9:00 am - 4:00 pm (English/Spanish)

Mail: Achievers Inc., 877 Commercial Street, San Jose, CA 95112

*SENIOR LETTER*

All of the above details will be organized and updated in the Class of 2022
Senior Letter
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/senior-information-2/>
.

*Quick Links*

Need a Replacement Student ID? Replacement ID Form
<https://forms.gle/JeV7JLVzAn9qw4YG8>

Submit an entry for the BHS Film Festival BHS Film Festival Submissions
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRO278OPn6rt8XmKdBSg9fZ8Vk4ObOi-JpDIjR7g8zJ0B9PA/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Title IX Resource Document Click here for the document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AwT_RskEtnxpzMMeaZWjf_gsgrMDglzo7EMIlHJBRfg/edit?usp=sharing>

Complete a Free & Reduced Lunch Application secure.ezmealapp.com contact
saraleon at berkeley.net

Join a BHS Student Club BHS Student Club List
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

*New Club Registration has closed for 21-22* Register a BHS Student Club
for 2021-22 <https://forms.gle/NbSbChjSjWzeLP9y6>

BHS Athletics Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

Class of 2022 Senior Letter Senior Info, Dates & Resources
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/senior-information-2/>

*Submit A Bulletin*

If any BHS student or staff member is interested in submitting an
announcement,

there are some basic guidelines to follow:

Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:

1. It must be relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members.

2. It must be a message that promotes community and builds up positive
school culture.

3. Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.

Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From by Monday
morning: http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin

*About*

ASB Leadership is a collective student voice composed of a diverse body of
student leaders. Our mission is to create a more positive and engaging
experience at Berkeley High through civic engagement, community building,
sustainability, social events, and positive staff-student relations.

*Useful Links*

BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

Follow @juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

Current List of Student Clubs
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

BHS Events Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_b3hvfpkecpkeh4gc3atup2dang%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>

Common Concerns Form <https://forms.gle/EcFo7XhMnwD9Li3B8>

*Contact Info*

Berkeley High ASB Leadership

1980 Allston Way, Berkeley CA United States 94704

johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

510.644.8990

*Go Jackets!*

*Notification of Non-Discrimination Policy*

The Berkeley Unified School District is committed to providing a
hostile-free working and learning environment. The District prohibits
discrimination, harassment, bullying, intimidation, and retaliation, based
on actual or perceived race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender,
gender identity/expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding/lactation
status (related medical conditions), religion, color, national origin
(including language restrictions and possession of a driver’s license
(issued under Vehicle Code), ancestry, immigration status, physical or
mental disability (including clinical depression and bipolar disorder,
HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, epilepsy, seizure disorder, diabetes, multiple
sclerosis, and heart attack), medical condition (cancer-related and genetic
characteristics), military and veteran status, marital status, registered
domestic partner status, age (40 and above), genetic information, political
belief or affiliation (unless union related), a person’s association with a
person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived
characteristics, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local
law, ordinance, or regulation in any program or activity it conducts or to
which it provides significant assistance.

Discrimination is different treatment based on a protected characteristic
in the context of an educational program, work or activity without a
legitimate, nondiscriminatory reason that interferes with or limits the
individual’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services,
activities, or privileges provided by the District or includes an adverse
employment action.

Hostile environment harassment occurs when a target is subjected to
unwelcome conduct based on a protected characteristic, which is both
subjectively offensive to the target and would be offensive to a reasonable
person of similar circumstances/characteristics and is sufficiently so
severe, and so pervasive to interfere with or limit an individual’s ability
to effectively work or to participate in or benefit from the services,
activities, or opportunities offered by the District. Harassment may take
many forms, including but not limited to, verbal remarks and name-calling,
graphic and written statements, or any conduct that may be threatening or
humiliating. Harassment based on any of the above protected categories is a
form of unlawful discrimination and will not be tolerated by the District
and can result in disciplinary action against the offending student or
employee.

Upon witnessing an act of discrimination, harassment, bullying,
intimidation, and retaliation, based on actual or perceived protected
characteristics, school personnel are required to take immediate steps to
intervene when it is safe to do so. Once a school/office has expressed
notice or reason to know of such conduct, whether carried out by employees,
students, or third parties, it should take immediate and appropriate steps
to investigate, determine what occurred, take prompt and effective steps
reasonably calculated to end the conduct, eliminate a hostile environment,
if one has been created and prevent the conduct from occurring again. These
steps should be taken regardless of whether an individual makes a complaint
or asks the school/office to take action. Complaints are protected from
retaliation. The District prohibits retaliation against any person who
files a complaint or an appeal, reports instances of noncompliance,
discrimination, harassment, bullying, and intimidation, or who participates
in the complaint-filing or investigation process. This nondiscriminatory
policy applies to all acts related to school activity or school attendance
within any school/office under the jurisdiction of the Berkeley Unified
School District.

For more information, or to file a complaint please contact:

District Title IX Coordinator/Compliance Officer Berkeley Unified School
District, 2020 Bonar Street, Room 117, Berkeley CA 94702 Phone: (510)
486-9338; Email: complaints at berkeley.net

*_____________________________*

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions
about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>

BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

word only in the subject line: subscribe