[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin, Mar. 21 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Mar 21 11:34:09 PDT 2022

Please do not reply to this email.  Use contact information included in
each post.

2021-2022 ASB Leadership

One big, red & gold family!

BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL

STUDENT BULLETIN

Lottie D., Chief of Publicity

Adam W., Chief of Publicity

Jack W., Chief of Publicity

Mr. V, Director of Student Activities

Bulletins & more  @Juicethejackets Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

 Video Bulletin Catalog
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16dVBsMWuRjCYT_Ubp2gnQeE6ZCSa33WSyJB3ZcDdk1A/edit#bookmark=id.e2ygj2vkgg49>
(requires BUSD account)

------------------------------

Video Bulletin: Monday, Wednesday, Friday (shorter)

PA: Trivia Friday with Principal Raygoza

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

March 21, 2022

Here is today’s video bulletin:

student bulletin 32122.mp4
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dAi_x1BO3PMQHw4o2VeM3FndOdGy6NGK/view?usp=drive_web>

------------------------------

NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS

------------------------------

BHS Jacket is Hiring!

The Jacket is hiring copy and layout editors for next year's staff! If you
are interested in fact-checking and editing, Copy is a great fit for you.
If you enjoy graphic design, digital art, and page editing, Layout is right
up your alley. We encourage students from all small schools and grades to
apply! Applications are due Friday, April 8th, and all information
regarding the positions can be found on the applications
<https://berkeleyhighjacket.com/>.

@ bhsjacket

------------------------------

Candidate Meet & Greet

Thursday, March 24

Lunch on the Campus Green

Come meet the 40+ students vying to be your representatives in various
leadership roles across campus. They will answer your questions and share
their vision for the future of Berkeley High.

ELECTION CONVENTION 2022 full video
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_INnM7v5k0XOb-X-GvHMP1kDHy4dGQgd?usp=sharing>

* Thank you to Amri Gray & CAS Students for filming the event!

To be an informed voter, read through the Elected Candidate Handbook and
connect with the elected candidates about their campaigns over social media.

ELECTION HANDBOOK 2022
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zUd8qI24pBgStr68V-FX8KUx6oGuAQdplZg79tV2ipo/edit?usp=sharing>

Good luck candidates!

Submitted by Mr. V & Anna Khan-Akselrod

------------------------------

STEMinist Club talk with ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENTIST

Join the STEMinist Club this Wednesday for a talk with environmental
scientist Lucy Andrews! Andrews works in California water management and
climate change adaptation with interdisciplinary approaches ranging from
quantitative optimization analysis to environmental justice theory and
praxis. She is currently a PhD student in the Department of Environmental
Science, Policy, and Management at the University of California Berkeley.
Specialized in water loss control as a consultant with Water Systems
Optimization, she primarily directed regional water loss control
programming in Orange County, California.

Date: Wednesday, March 23rd 2022 @ lunch

Location: G213

bhssteminist at gmail.com

@bhs.steminist

------------------------------

IMPORTANT PREVIOUS ANNOUNCEMENTS BELOW

------------------------------

Dance Production performance

Dance Production is performing on March 25th and 26th at 7pm in the Little
Theater. Tickets are on Brown Paper Ticket
<https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/5393322>, you can find the link in
@danceproduction22 ‘s bio on instagram. Tickets must be bought online ahead
of time. Masks are required for this indoor performance. No longer checking
vaccination status.

Email Linda Carr if you have questions.

Come and support the arts!

------------------------------

Join Wrestling!

Interested in Wrestling? Come to open mat every Wednesday 4-6 in the
wrestling room (next to the M Gym). It is open to all and you only need to
make sure you come in athletic clothes. We'll provide everything else.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask any of the current team members
or the coach (Mr. Nathan in H112).

Submitted by Mr. Nathan

Sweeney Todd featuring Chiefs of Publicity Adam & Jack

Folks you may have been wondering why Jack and I have been absent from the
announcements for the last two rounds… it’s because we’ve been rehearsing
for a show. A show the likes of which you’ve never seen before, a musical
that dazzles and amazes and shocks with impunity called Sweeney Todd.
Performances are this and next weekend in Oakland, more details and link to
buy tickets in the bulletin email
<https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?ticketing=ymtc>.

Submitted by adamwilan at students.berkeley.net

@ymtcbayarea

------------------------------

Native Student Union

Come join us at our first Native Student Union meeting. On Thursdays after
school at 3:45 across the street on the Civics center grass. Follow the
Instagram for more information- @bhs.nsu

We hope to see you there!

Submitted by mahelacabrini at students.berkeley.net

------------------------------

TeenTechSF Stem Inclusivity Forum

Join us on Saturday, April 9th , this year in our STEM Inclusivity Forum,
Diversity in Tech: Closing the Gap, we’re focusing on diversity, equity,
and inclusion and learning about life in the tech industry from engineers,
engineering graduates and like Justin Friend, the Head of Customer
Onboarding at Adobe!

REGISTER NOW for the April 9th TeenTechSF Stem Inclusivity Forum!

We will send you a Zoom link and full instructions on how to participate.

Like all TeenTechSF events, this event is completely FREE, but advance
registration is required! Open to all students 13-18 years old -- no
previous coding experience necessary.

TeenTechSF is run by and for teens – Find out more about Who We Are and
What We Do at TeenTechSF.org and fill out tinyurl.com/TTSFLeadershipInterest
if you’d like to join the TeenTechSF student leadership team!

Submitted by emilysidharta at students.berkeley.net

@teentechsf

------------------------------

The League of Women Voters

To all Berkeley High School Students Interested:

The League of Women Voters (LWV) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, grassroots
organization. It supports and opposes selected governmental issues and
ballot measures. It promotes political responsibility through informed and
active participation in government.

The League of Women Voters Berkeley, Albany, Emeryville is interested in
creating a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Team for high school youth to
create change through a variety of projects and group efforts. If you are
interested in exploring/creating a youth led DEI team, please contact us
below.

If you have any additional comments or questions, please email:
arabellaloste at lwvbae.org and/or emmamartinez at lwvbae.org

------------------------------

Common Concerns Form

This is your Sophomore leadership team and we are reaching out to you as a
part of our planned updates. In this email, we will discuss past
achievements, recurring concerns, and future plans we have for our class.

To start off the email, we would like to share our interest in hearing back
from you. One of our main priorities this year as a team was to improve
communication between the administration and the larger student population.
In order to help improve issues related to that, we have created a common
concerns form for all of you to reach out to give direct feedback to the
administration. This form is not limited to sophomores so, go ahead and let
other students know about it! (Common Concerns Form
<https://forms.gle/EcFo7XhMnwD9Li3B8>).

Submitted by Sophomore Class Leadership

@bhs2024leadership

------------------------------

YOUTH SPEAKS TEEN POETRY SLAM FINALS

Youth Speaks <http://youthspeaks.org/> is finally back and in person!

Come check out amazing poetry from teenagers from across the Bay Area.

   -

   Semifinals #2 @ The Bayview Opera House, Friday March 25th
   <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/youth-speaks-teen-poetry-slam-semi-finals-in-association-with-bayview-opera-tickets-266491943577?ref=estw>
   -

   Finals @ The Sydney Goldstein Theater, Friday April 8th
   <https://www.eventbrite.com/e/youth-speaks-teen-poetry-finals-in-association-with-city-arts-lectures-tickets-262143707887?ref=estw>

For more information, visit youthspeaks.org/teen-poetry-slam.

@youthspeaks

------------------------------

BHS Yearbook

Senior Quote

Seniors, please fill out this google form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScRVw1HVey-TtHctILfmzIS1NzPoXw-8KORbtQ39c4a63HErw/viewform?usp=sf_link>
with your senior quote for the yearbook by March 25! Please only fill out
one entry by the deadline. Link to the form can be found in your email
under the school bulletin.

Submitted by bhsyearbook at berkeley.net

@berkeleyearbook

------------------------------

Join the BHS Crash Course Consent Committee

See video in the bulletin

Watch announcements for video. Hey, we’re the writers of the consent videos
that you may have seen in class, and we’re looking to recruit a new team
for the upcoming school year! If you’re an artist, writer, video editor or
just someone who’s interested in making BHS a little better, come to C221
on this Thursday, March 10th during lunch. You will learn about our group
and our video making process. We hope you join us in our efforts to make
Berkeley High a safer and more conscious space. Hope to see you there!

Submitted by bhsconsentvideo at gmail.com

Athletics YouTube channel to watch all of the live or on replay
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkWWhXu6tGWZDyvjIdlX2Fw>.

   -

    Check out the calendar to go support your Yellow Jackets!
   -

   Link to game calendar
   <https://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/>
   -

   For upcoming games & scores, visit
   -

   Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

------------------------------

Quick Links

Need a Replacement Student ID? Replacement ID Form
<https://forms.gle/JeV7JLVzAn9qw4YG8>

Submit an entry for the BHS Film Festival BHS Film Festival Submissions
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRO278OPn6rt8XmKdBSg9fZ8Vk4ObOi-JpDIjR7g8zJ0B9PA/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Title IX Resource Document Click here for the document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AwT_RskEtnxpzMMeaZWjf_gsgrMDglzo7EMIlHJBRfg/edit?usp=sharing>

Complete a Free & Reduced Lunch Application secure.ezmealapp.com contact
saraleon at berkeley.net

Join a BHS Student Club BHS Student Club List
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

New Club Registration has closed for 21-22 Register a BHS Student Club for
2021-22 <https://forms.gle/NbSbChjSjWzeLP9y6>

BHS Athletics Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

Class of 2022 Senior Letter Senior Info, Dates & Resources
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/senior-information-2/>

------------------------------

Submit A Bulletin

If any BHS student or staff member is interested in submitting an
announcement,

there are some basic guidelines to follow:

Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:

1. It must be relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members.

2. It must be a message that promotes community and builds up positive
school culture.

3. Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.

Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From by Monday
morning: http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin

About

ASB Leadership is a collective student voice composed of a diverse body of
student leaders. Our mission is to create a more positive and engaging
experience at Berkeley High through civic engagement, community building,
sustainability, social events, and positive staff-student relations.

Useful Links

BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

Follow @juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

Current List of Student Clubs
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

BHS Events Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_b3hvfpkecpkeh4gc3atup2dang%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>

Contact Info

Berkeley High ASB Leadership

1980 Allston Way, Berkeley CA United States 94704

johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

510.644.8990

Go Jackets!

Notification of Non-Discrimination Policy

The Berkeley Unified School District is committed to providing a
hostile-free working and learning environment. The District prohibits
discrimination, harassment, bullying, intimidation, and retaliation, based
on actual or perceived race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender,
gender identity/expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding/lactation
status (related medical conditions), religion, color, national origin
(including language restrictions and possession of a driver’s license
(issued under Vehicle Code), ancestry, immigration status, physical or
mental disability (including clinical depression and bipolar disorder,
HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, epilepsy, seizure disorder, diabetes, multiple
sclerosis, and heart attack), medical condition (cancer-related and genetic
characteristics), military and veteran status, marital status, registered
domestic partner status, age (40 and above), genetic information, political
belief or affiliation (unless union related), a person’s association with a
person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived
characteristics, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local
law, ordinance, or regulation in any program or activity it conducts or to
which it provides significant assistance.

Discrimination is different treatment based on a protected characteristic
in the context of an educational program, work or activity without a
legitimate, nondiscriminatory reason that interferes with or limits the
individual’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services,
activities, or privileges provided by the District or includes an adverse
employment action.

Hostile environment harassment occurs when a target is subjected to
unwelcome conduct based on a protected characteristic, which is both
subjectively offensive to the target and would be offensive to a reasonable
person of similar circumstances/characteristics and is sufficiently so
severe, and so pervasive to interfere with or limit an individual’s ability
to effectively work or to participate in or benefit from the services,
activities, or opportunities offered by the District. Harassment may take
many forms, including but not limited to, verbal remarks and name-calling,
graphic and written statements, or any conduct that may be threatening or
humiliating. Harassment based on any of the above protected categories is a
form of unlawful discrimination and will not be tolerated by the District
and can result in disciplinary action against the offending student or
employee.

Upon witnessing an act of discrimination, harassment, bullying,
intimidation, and retaliation, based on actual or perceived protected
characteristics, school personnel are required to take immediate steps to
intervene when it is safe to do so. Once a school/office has expressed
notice or reason to know of such conduct, whether carried out by employees,
students, or third parties, it should take immediate and appropriate steps
to investigate, determine what occurred, take prompt and effective steps
reasonably calculated to end the conduct, eliminate a hostile environment,
if one has been created and prevent the conduct from occurring again. These
steps should be taken regardless of whether an individual makes a complaint
or asks the school/office to take action. Complaints are protected from
retaliation. The District prohibits retaliation against any person who
files a complaint or an appeal, reports instances of noncompliance,
discrimination, harassment, bullying, and intimidation, or who participates
in the complaint-filing or investigation process. This nondiscriminatory
policy applies to all acts related to school activity or school attendance
within any school/office under the jurisdiction of the Berkeley Unified
School District.

For more information, or to file a complaint please contact:

District Title IX Coordinator/Compliance Officer Berkeley Unified School
District, 2020 Bonar Street, Room 117, Berkeley CA 94702 Phone: (510)
486-9338; Email: complaints at berkeley.net

------------------------------------
Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions
about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list. If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

word only in the subject line: subscribe.