[BHS Etree] ADMIN: BHS Principal: Spirit Activities Planning Update

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sat Nov 13 09:00:25 PST 2021

Please do not reply to this email. If you have any questions please contact BHS Principal Juan Raygoza at juanraygoza at berkeley.net <mailto:juanraygoza at berkeley.net>.

Hello BHS Families,

I want to share with you the message I sent students just a short while ago regarding Spirit Week planning. Please take a few minutes to review the message and, if possible, I encourage you to continue the conversation with your student about working together with their Student Leadership peers, our staff, and my administration team to plan for safe and positive activities for our community.

Thank you.
__________
Hello BHS Students,

I hope you are all doing well.

I want you all to know that I've spoken with many of you in the last few weeks about my decision around Spirit Week. I've had individual conversations, visited ASB, spoken with Jacket reporters, and heard many of you via email. It is clear you want opportunities for celebration and to feel connected to BHS. I want the same for our students and I want those activities to be safe.

I did not cancel Spirit Week, but instead postponed Spirit activities until I believe that we've planned intentionally and collaboratively (students, staff, and administration), actively participated in learning opportunities like consent education, ensured that we have sufficient staff (teaching, administrative, custodial, safety staff, etc.) on the day-to-day, engaged in honest dialogue about past Spirit Weeks and Rally Days, and assessed how the Covid pandemic continues to impact our everyday lives. I believe we are making progress.

This week, I invited Mr. John V, as well as your ASB President (Chloe Burke) and Vice President (Hanim Nuru) to speak with our SLC/Department Teacher Leaders. We had a good conversation about students' wants and ideas and staff’s concerns and hopes. It is clear everyone wants something for students and our work is to plan for safe and positive Spirit activities. I am committed to continuing the work to make that happen this year.

I am aware of plans for an unofficial Spirit Week next week, November 15-19. I am asking that students not participate in an unofficial Spirit Week as it would be unsafe to do so without proper planning and will also jeopardize our work in planning for official Spirit activities in the Spring.

Please feel free to reach out to share your thoughts and concerns.

Thank you.

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

To unsubscribe from the E-tree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list. If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>