[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin Oct. 20 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Oct 21 09:54:51 PDT 2021

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, visit the
Bulletin link for submission instructions.

10.20 VIDEO BULLETIN: SUSTAINABLE COOKING CLASS, JAZZ at LUNCH, SENIOR
SPELLOUT, FREE CALL FOOTBALL TIX + more...

2021-2022 ASB Leadership

*One **big**, red & gold family!*

*BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL *

*STUDENT BULLETIN*

Lottie D., Chief of Publicity

Adam W., Chief of Publicity

Jack W., Chief of Publicity

Mr. V, Director of Student Activities

Current Bulletin Schedule Monday, Wednesday, Friday

*October 20, 2021*

Watch today's bulletin on our @Juicethejackets Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

*Here is today’s video bulletin *

  *bulletin 1020.mp4*
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Kccx8ngmQ9gqYyu4VUjUQqVUh6shUqex/view?usp=drive_web>

*Jazz at Lunch continues!*

Friday, 10/22   Three O'Clock Band

by the portables between M gym and Jacket Stadium

Thursday, 10/28    Eleven O'Clock Band

by the portables between M gym and Jacket Stadium

*Sustainable Cooking Class*

Do you like tacos? Are you interested in learning to cook sustainably? If
so, we invite you to join the Zero Waste Club for our first sustainable
cooking class of the school year to make some delicious roasted sweet
potato, black bean, and cauliflower tacos topped with vegan chipotle lime
cashew crema.

The cooking class will be held this Sunday, October 24th at 5:30 PM via
Zoom, and is open for anyone, which means you're more than welcome to
invite friends and family! We look forward to seeing you there!

Zoom link
<https://zoom.us/j/95743825870?pwd=UXExbjBrUWlTdFllL2xrSGtqS0lNUT09>

@bhszerowaste

bhszerowaste at gmail.com

*Senior Sunrise Spellout *

All Berkelely High Seniors are invited to Senior Sunrise Spellout on
October 25th. As a class we will watch the sunrise then meet at the BHS
football field at 9:15 for our class of 22’ spellout. Free donuts and
coffee will be served so come out!

*Free Cal Football Tickets*

The Cal Student Store is resuming our efforts to bridge the connection
between the local residents of Berkeley and UC Berkeley. As we have done in
the past we are purchasing tickets to a Cal Football Game and offering them
for free to the students, parents, and staff members of the Berkeley
Unified School District. This game is -vs- Colorado on Saturday October 23
at 12:30pm with ticket pickup and other related events starting at 9am on
game day.

Tickets are free to all BUSD students, parents, and staff.

RSVP and more information can be found at thecalstudentstore.com.

Submitted by thecalstudentstore at gmail.com

*VAX UP JACKETS!*

On Wednesday, October 6th, the BUSD Board of Education passed a new policy
that will require all students who are 12 and older to either be vaccinated
by January 3, 2022 or take a weekly COVID test. The full policy, approved
unanimously by the Board, can be viewed here
<http://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/All-Student-Vaccine-and-Testing-Policy.pdf>
.

At Berkeley High School, an overwhelming majority of our students (and
staff) are already fully vaccinated. For unvaccinated students who would be
impacted by the recent Board decision, I met with the City of Berkeley soon
after the Board meeting in order to schedule another Covid vaccination
clinic that would make getting the vaccine easily accessible.

*Covid Vaccine Clinic Details*

Unvaccinated BHS students can receive the *1st dose of the Pfizer Covid
vaccine on* *Tuesday, October 19th from 11:00am - 6:00pm* across the street
from the Main Office of Berkeley High School (corner of Allston and
Milvia). We’ve also already gone ahead and scheduled the *2nd dose
appointment for Wednesday, November 10th from 10:00am - 5:00pm* in the same
location.

Students must receive BOTH doses of this vaccine in order to be considered
fully vaccinated.

If students wish to receive their 1st dose vaccine on October 19th and 2nd
dose vaccine on November 10th, they *must bring the attached **consent form*
<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MqsgKaAiBzuFMuLDm8Ga20OafejVFQE3?usp=sharing>*
signed
by a parent/guardian only if they are under 18 years old*.

*To make an appointment for a Covid vaccine, please go **here*
<https://patient.carbonhealth.com/?_branch_match_id=888236648418697902&%24web_only=true#/schedule?practiceId=136687ba-9e45-4c61-9606-f26399405163&specialtyIds=fc68f27e-b693-4c89-b94c-424432234ca3&apptReasonId=18957b4b-0102-41d4-8f6f-1f8017bf7626&preselectedLocationIds=c8dbfcca-3639-4b03-bbcf-a6f16701695a>
.

We encourage students that want to get vaccinated on October 19th and
November 10th to do so during LUNCH TIME or AFTER SCHOOL.

Parents/Guardians might also receive phone calls after this email to answer
any questions you may have, including more information about the vaccine.

*ADDITIONAL INFORMATION*

BHS students who have already received their 1st dose but missed their 2nd
dose appointment can receive their 2nd dose at this clinic as well.
Students will need to bring their vaccination card showing their 1st dose.

*Modern Live Zine*

We are Modern Love Zine, a new project at BHS. The zine is designed to give
our community the opportunity to share, read, and reflect on love. We love
seeing and expressing the adoration we have for the world and all of the
things in it. Love is a universal, human feeling, one that is both broad
and narrow -- it means something else to every person. If you have even a
slight idea of something you could talk about under the broad scope of
love, reach out! We want to see the humanity around us -- that humanity is
stored within you.

We are looking for pieces of writing, though if you have other mediums in
mind, feel free to email us at bhsmodernlove at gmail.com. Anyone in the
school (both students and staff) is welcome to submit.

*Click here to for the submission link* <https://linktr.ee/bhsmodernlove>

Reach out to our email with any questions, or check out our poster for more
submission information, guidelines, and inspiration.

* We love you!*

*BHS Athletics Update*

*Upcoming Games*

Monday: golf girls @metropolitan golf course

Boys WaPo JV/Var @ Berkeley v. Amador Valley

Tuesday: tennis girls v. Odowd

Girls Volleyball all levels v. Odowd @Berkeley

Girls WaPo v. Odowd @Berkeley

Girls WaPo has their Senior night tomorrow!!!!

Wednesday: cross country

Thursday: tennis girls v. Alameda

WaPo girls v. Marin Academy @Berkeley

Girls Field Hockey v. Marin Catholic @berkeley

Girls Volleyball v. Piedmont

Friday: girls volleyball v. Albany @Berkeley SENIOR NIGHT

Boys WaPo v. James Logan @Berkeley

Saturday: football v. Washington

Boys WaPo jv tournament

*Open Gym for both girls and boys basketball begins this week!*

*Basketball tryouts are right around the corner*

Interested in trying out for basketball???

*READ CAREFULLY*

*In order to participate in open gym:*

   - All athletes *MUST* take a COVID test after school on 10/14 in
the Athletic
   Plaza <https://goo.gl/maps/nztN27fKQ3vJyAP57> to attend. NO
EXCEPTIONS. CLICK
   HERE <https://my.primary.health/l/berkeley_usd> to register for testing
   (it's a one time registration <https://my.primary.health/l/berkeley_usd>).
   Athletes must then continue to COVID test each week on Wednesdays or
   Thursdays to continue to participate in open gym.
   - CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE OPEN GYM SCHEDULE
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aI81bMulRxRBmrp6QWoXvRTcJsrxLAoB8R9IZ5t5n0U/edit?usp=sharing>
   - All participants must also wear a mask, even while competing and
   conditioning
   - Tryouts for basketball begin on November 1st.

*In order to tryout*

   - student-athletes MUST register online using this link
   <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration>
   .
   - The deadline to register for tryouts is October 26th
   - Additionally, students wishing to tryout on 11/1 must also COVID test
   on either 10/27 or 10/28

For upcoming games & more scores, visit

Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

*Find Your Senior Portrait Appointment *

October 25th-29th & November 1st-6th

Emails to your student account will be sent out 14 days prior to your
appointment with your date and time. Seniors will also receive a reminders
7 days, 3 days and 24 hours prior to your appointment

Prestige Portraits will be offered on the BHS Campus in the *Wrestling Mat
Room located adjacent to the M-Gym. *

***Reminder*** BHS Students must use Prestige Portraits to have their
senior portrait appear in the 21-22 yearbook. You get to select your outfit
in the yearbook portrait as a dress, tuxedo, or cap & gown.

You can also find your appointment online at:

*Prestigeportraits.com* <https://prestigeportraits.com/>

If you need support with locating your appointment, you can also contact Mr.
V <johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>.

If you need to reschedule-or have not gotten an email by October 13;

please reach out to: byarea at lifetouch.com

*Dia de los Muertos *

Bahia Inc. presents “Celebrando Las Vidas” a free family event to honor Dia
de los Muertos. On Saturday, October 30 at the Berkeley Adult School. You
will find free activities such as free haircuts, bike repair along with
food vendors selling tamales, crafts. There will also be an altar and art
exhibition.

Visit bahiainc.com for more information

*Quick Links*

Submit an entry for the BHS Film Festival BHS Film Festival Submissions
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeRO278OPn6rt8XmKdBSg9fZ8Vk4ObOi-JpDIjR7g8zJ0B9PA/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Good Eggs Fundraiser schools.goodeggs.com with school code:
goodeggsforberkeleyhighschool

Title IX Resource Document Click here for the document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AwT_RskEtnxpzMMeaZWjf_gsgrMDglzo7EMIlHJBRfg/edit?usp=sharing>

Complete a Free & Reduced Lunch Application secure.ezmealapp.com

Join a BHS Student Club BHS Student Club List
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

Register a new or returning club before October 31st Register a BHS Student
Club for 2021-22 <https://forms.gle/NbSbChjSjWzeLP9y6>

BHS Athletics Berkeleyhighathletics.org <http://berkeleyhighathletics.org/>

Class of 2022 Senior Letter Senior Info, Dates & Resources
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/senior-information-2/>

*Submit A Bulletin*

If any BHS student or staff member is interested in submitting an
announcement,

there are some basic guidelines to follow:

Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:

1. It must be relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members.

2. It must be a message that promotes community and builds up positive
school culture.

3. Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.

Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From by Monday
morning: http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin

*About*

ASB Leadership is a collective student voice composed of a diverse body of
student leaders. Our mission is to create a more positive and engaging
experience at Berkeley High through civic engagement, community building,
sustainability, social events, and positive staff-student relations.

*Useful Links*

BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

Follow @juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

Current List of Student Clubs
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

BHS Events Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_b3hvfpkecpkeh4gc3atup2dang%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>

*Contact Info*

Berkeley High ASB Leadership

1980 Allston Way, Berkeley CA United States 94704

johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

510.644.8990

*Go Jackets!*

*Notification of Non-Discrimination Policy*

The Berkeley Unified School District is committed to providing a
hostile-free working and learning environment. The District prohibits
discrimination, harassment, bullying, intimidation, and retaliation, based
on actual or perceived race, ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, gender,
gender identity/expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding/lactation
status (related medical conditions), religion, color, national origin
(including language restrictions and possession of a driver’s license
(issued under Vehicle Code), ancestry, immigration status, physical or
mental disability (including clinical depression and bipolar disorder,
HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, epilepsy, seizure disorder, diabetes, multiple
sclerosis, and heart attack), medical condition (cancer-related and genetic
characteristics), military and veteran status, marital status, registered
domestic partner status, age (40 and above), genetic information, political
belief or affiliation (unless union related), a person’s association with a
person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived
characteristics, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local
law, ordinance, or regulation in any program or activity it conducts or to
which it provides significant assistance.

Discrimination is different treatment based on a protected characteristic
in the context of an educational program, work or activity without a
legitimate, nondiscriminatory reason that interferes with or limits the
individual’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services,
activities, or privileges provided by the District or includes an adverse
employment action.

Hostile environment harassment occurs when a target is subjected to
unwelcome conduct based on a protected characteristic, which is both
subjectively offensive to the target and would be offensive to a reasonable
person of similar circumstances/characteristics and is sufficiently so
severe, and so pervasive to interfere with or limit an individual’s ability
to effectively work or to participate in or benefit from the services,
activities, or opportunities offered by the District. Harassment may take
many forms, including but not limited to, verbal remarks and name-calling,
graphic and written statements, or any conduct that may be threatening or
humiliating. Harassment based on any of the above protected categories is a
form of unlawful discrimination and will not be tolerated by the District
and can result in disciplinary action against the offending student or
employee.

Upon witnessing an act of discrimination, harassment, bullying,
intimidation, and retaliation, based on actual or perceived protected
characteristics, school personnel are required to take immediate steps to
intervene when it is safe to do so. Once a school/office has expressed
notice or reason to know of such conduct, whether carried out by employees,
students, or third parties, it should take immediate and appropriate steps
to investigate, determine what occurred, take prompt and effective steps
reasonably calculated to end the conduct, eliminate a hostile environment,
if one has been created and prevent the conduct from occurring again. These
steps should be taken regardless of whether an individual makes a complaint
or asks the school/office to take action. Complaints are protected from
retaliation. The District prohibits retaliation against any person who
files a complaint or an appeal, reports instances of noncompliance,
discrimination, harassment, bullying, and intimidation, or who participates
in the complaint-filing or investigation process. This nondiscriminatory
policy applies to all acts related to school activity or school attendance
within any school/office under the jurisdiction of the Berkeley Unified
School District.

For more information, or to file a complaint please contact:

District Title IX Coordinator/Compliance Officer Berkeley Unified School
District, 2020 Bonar Street, Room 117, Berkeley CA 94702 Phone: (510)
486-9338; Email: complaints at berkeley.net

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions
about the E-tree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS E-tree archives <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>

BHS website <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

BUSD 2021-2022 Calendar
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/Calendar-21-22-v71221.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XoKaZIol254f7rDheAHhgr1FEJWfEOS2e4nU7_4LcqM/edit>

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the E-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

word only in the subject line: subscribe