[BHS Etree] PTSA: This year, next year, congratulations & farewells

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Jun 4 09:55:23 PDT 2021

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please contact Sandra Loving at bhsptsa at gmail.com

It's been a school year unlike any other, and time to extend congratulations to all of our graduating seniors and a farewell to parents who will no longer have kids in BUSD.

Despite the pandemic, the 2020-21 school year has been the PTSA's most active year thus far. Major achievements include:
Establishing a student executive leadership team - it's been the most amazing and inspiring PTA experience imaginable
Launching a new website https://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/ <https://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/> and social media presence Instagram at ptsa.bhsd <mailto:Instagram at ptsa.bhsd>
Hosting our first Black History Month Art Contest - check out the winners on the student section of the PTSA website
Providing a Math Survival Kit with videos for problems in Math 1-2-3 on the Student section of the PTSA website
Working more closely with staff members and establishing our first Staff Advisory Board
Sponsoring a "Let's Talk Berkeley High" student discussion about reopening hosted by student leaders
Having monthly Zoom meetings that included another Math Discussion Night, a Kwanzaa Party, a Distance Learning Discussion, a Black History Month celebration, and 2 preliminary meetings for a 504 support/advocacy subcommittee
Creating a working draft of our "Red and Gold Book" to spell out our goals, roles, responsibilities, annual schedules etc.
We are so proud of our student executive team who met weekly and networked with other student groups and staff to develop their roles and generate creative web content. Four of them are graduating and going off to college next year.
Student President Suhera Nuru got a full 4-year Posse academic scholarship to Boston University
VP's Gabriela Cruickshank and Mestie Thomas are going to UC Santa Cruz
VP and Webmaster Lauri Loving is going to Howard University.
We are also saying farewell to half of our parent executive team of the past 4-5 years as their kids graduate this year: past president and current VP Maria Rohlsson, Dr. Ramona Coates who established the VP of Equity and Inclusion position on the PTA Council and at BHS, and current treasurer and past secretary Amy Eden. Next year Sandra Loving will continue as president, execs Bridgett Bernhard and Steve Levine are staying on as is Mimi Pulich to pioneer our 504 subcommittee. Student execs Anaya Loving and Marco Levine will continue next year and take on new challenges.

The last few months, weeks, and days have flown by. Our students have more content to put on the website that will be added in a week or two. Before school reopens in August we'll have some info about the 504 parent community we're establishing and the 2021-22 BUSD budget, but as of June 5th VP Mimi Pulich's lengthy essay "The Big Picture of Math at Berkeley High" is on the Information section of our website.

We've been so busy we never got to the membership drive we talked about. Unlike PTA's the PTSA does not actively fund raise. We get income through membership contributions and donations that come through our website along with occasional grants and money from employee matching grant programs and AmazonSmile. We'll make it happen when the 2021-22 school year begins, but you can always join early if you'd like on our website https://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/ <https://www.bhs.berkeleypta.org/>

Best wishes for the summer,

The PTSA parent and student executive team
Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2020-2021 Calendar: 2020-2021 Calendar <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2020-21-BUSDCalendar_5.15.19.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy <http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy>

To unsubscribe from the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>