[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Bulletin Week of March 15

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Mar 17 11:28:24 PDT 2021

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any questions, please use
contact information included below.

Speaker Event, Physics Lecture + more...

*BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT BULLETIN*

2020-2021 ASB Leadership

*One **big**, red & gold family!*

Felix Mousigian, Chief of Publicity

Aaron Rumph, Chief of Publicity

Mr. V, Director of Student Activities

*Week of March 15* *Berkeley High Events Calendar*

Consider following & adding the Berkeley High Events Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=c_b3hvfpkecpkeh4gc3atup2dang%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FLos_Angeles>

We plan to add club events, performances, large school events, and other
important deadlines.

*Striving for Racial Equity with BHS Anti-Racism (BHSAR)*

Hello all! We are BHS Anti-Racism, BHSAR, a group devoted to achieving
racial equity here at BHS. We are trying to open up an office that would
help bridge the gap between students and admin to hopefully come up with
solutions to the large achievement gap present at Berkeley high. We want to
come up with innovative ways for students of color to get access to the
resources available, and communicate with the administration about racial
issues that need to be addressed. If you identify as a student of color,
please help us out by completing  this google form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dsezHGyuiMtxflDDhkGlBa00vu4MVvga5BQyrryybzU/edit?ts=6043d4e2&gxids=7628>
.

Submitted by ameliawileymoreira at students.berkeley.net

*Join Redwood Literary Magazine*

Interested in writing fiction or poetry? Join Redwood Literary Magazine!
Our next meeting for new writers is this Friday, March 19th, at
lunch. Please email redwoodberkeleyhigh at gmail.com for more information.

Our website: redwoodberkeleyhigh.com

*Join Rugby Berkeley Rhino Rugby Club is recruiting for JV & Varsity*

Who Can Join the Team?

Any enrolled high school student is eligible

No previous experience necessary

Players of all sizes and ages are welcome

Especially seeking freshmen and sophomores

Practices start Saturday, March 6th

Practices are Tuesday & Thursday 5 - 7 pm

Practice or Games Saturday 9 am - 12 pm

At the Tom Bates Sports Complex at Gilman

Rain or Shine

More Information at

www.berkeleyrhinos.org

Or

Contact Coach Nate Muhler 510.295.7092

*Cultural Club Mixer & Speaker Event to Support Asian American*The United
Cultural Coalition (leaders of prominent BIPOC lead organizations at BHS)
are hosting the FIRST EVER all cultural club mixer this Wednesday 2-3pm!
It is going to be a really fun event as we will be *playing many games *

and having many opportunities to get to know people from other clubs. The
goal of this event is to unite BIPOC students, and allies so that in the
future all our organizations can work together to fight injustices!

*Clubs included in this event:*

Black Student Union,Asian Pacific Islanders Club(APIC), Latinx Unidos,
Multi-Cultural Student Association( MCSA), Muslim Student Association,
QueerPOC( QPOC) and more!!

Here is the zoom info:
https://zoom.us/j/97171167345?pwd=bFVqSk82NzNOMzJNTGtTdFFvSEN2Zz09

Meeting ID: 971 7116 7345

Passcode: BIPOC

*Friday, March 19 at lunch *The Multi-Cultural Student Association which is
a mixed race & cultural appreciation organization i*s facilitating a
discussion about the rise of Anti-Asian discrimination.* We invite students
who would like to share their experiences or just listen as allies to join
us for this meeting. It will be this Friday lunch.

Here is the zoom info*:*
https://zoom.us/j/92052368077?pwd=ZEJYTHFGSXdYd0JGK24rTlhDM2RZdz09Meeting
ID: 920 5236 8077

Passcode: 7q6dRt at bhs_mcsa

*Request a Library Book and Join a Book Club*

The Berkeley High Library is super excited to be partnering with our
friends at BPL who are hosting Stories for Change: a YA Author Series
<https://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/events/stories-change-aiden-thomas-author-cemetery-boys>
this Spring!

Our library team is organizing a series of lunchtime book clubs
<https://forms.gle/kDxVArhPxeXCnKwV8> that students and staff can join to
engage with these incredible books together and prepare for each author’s
visit. Our first meeting to chat about *Cemetery Boys *will be on
Wednesday, March 24th from 11:30 - 12:15pm. BPL has also graciously gifted
us a set of books for the *first 30 students* who register to take home!

We are hoping to get students to register for the book club by the end of
this week (March 12th) to coordinate book distribution to students at the
Supply Center next week.  Click here to register for a copy of *Cemetery
Boys* <https://forms.gle/kDxVArhPxeXCnKwV8>

@berkeleyhighlibrary

*TAKING ENVIRONMENTAL ACTION SPEAKER SERIES begins on March 17*Students
will gain insight into how Bay Area professionals are promoting resilience
in our communities and integrating their passion for sustainability into
their career paths. Business leaders, energy conservation experts, food
entrepreneurs, and systems thinkers will visit with the BUSD’s
Sustainability Coordinator to present their visions, research, and
experiences. Come and be inspired by these forward-thinking speakers
addressing complex problems in sustainability-related fields!

Webinar #1: An Introduction to Sustainability with Gil Friend: When: Mar
17, 2021, 04:00 PM Please click the link in the bulletin to join the webinar
<https://berkeley-net.zoom.us/j/88967793354?pwd=NDZZckpCeGpxK2FuY3BlNkdiT2pTdz09>:Passcode:
127410

Webinar #2: Leticia Landa on Incubating Local Immigrant Owned Food
Enterprises When: Mar 19, 2021 03:00 PM Please click the link to join the
webinar
<https://berkeley-net.zoom.us/j/84221895880?pwd=TE10VzRaekxreFd0eGZtRno4ZGcvQT09>:Passcode:
630966

Webinar #3: Food Insecurity and Policy Approaches in the Bay Area with
Katie Ettman When: Mar 23, 2021 03:00 PM

Please click the link to join the webinar
<https://berkeley-net.zoom.us/j/81743972453?pwd=elIvNE9IWDhJYWpHVXF4SStoNVdiQT09%20Passcode:%20803203>
:

Submitted by @bhsgreenteam

*Q&A Panel on String Theory, Dark Matter, and More! w/ Christian Bauer,
Jacob Leedom, and Nicholas Rodd* This Friday, the Physics Club will hold
another event. What: A Q&A panel with three particle physicists. Topics
will include the Standard Model, String Theory, and dark matter, but there
will also be plenty of time for questions. Who: Christian Bauer, Nicholas
Rodd, and Jacob Leedom. When: Friday, March 19th at 3:30 pm.

Fill out this <https://forms.gle/PaYqk9ZzWe7NkNhc6> form if you are
interested in attending.

Here <https://youtu.be/FPbFF4ptE3Q> is the link to the last lecture about
the Standard Model!

Here <https://youtu.be/kP4QkDBalpM> is the link to our most recent lecture,
which was about space travel, the Perseverance Rover, and the Europa
Clipper mission.

Hope to see you there,Alessandra Ionescu-Zanetti

Physics Club

Additionally, the Physics Club is still accepting submissions for the
Science Fair!The Science Fair will have an award ceremony at which a Nobel
Prize winner, Jennifer Doudna, will come speak to us. There will also be a
cash prize! Here is more information about the event:
tinyurl.com/bhs-science-fair  Parents, please feel free to donate to the
Physics Club using the Eventbrite link. Proceeds will go towards making
physics more fun and accessible for all!

*AC Leadership Women’s History Month Video Project*

Academic Choice Leadership is planning a video project to celebrate and
empower the women of Berkeley.

We are reaching out to all students of all grades (you don’t have to be in
AC to join) to participate in this project. Essentially, you will submit a
video answering a couple of questions to be featured in the project.
However, if you are not comfortable showing your face, you can still
participate by answering the prompts as we will have a quotes section in
the video!

If you are interested, you can sign up here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nNLGlqvJjo1Mj_A3896wo6m-DyhtosGB_9p5mxchSUc/edit?usp=sharing>.The
ACLC Team will reach out to you and email you the prompts as soon as you
sign up!

Submitted by desireesolis at students.berkeley.net

@ac.leadership

*BHS Sports Update!*

High School Sports have returned! *Your most important resource is our**
WEBSITE...BOOKMARK IT!*
<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/home>...and follow us on
Twitter <https://twitter.com/BHSjacketSports> and Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/bhsjacketsports/>

*Athletes must be** REGISTERED and CLEARED*
<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration>*
to participate*

To register, go HERE.
<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration>

*Confirmed Tryout Date of April 19!!  *

<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration>
and contact the coaches.

*Girls Soccer* (Alé Mendoza: amen510gs at gmail.com)

*Boys Soccer* (Andre Hebert: ianesco at comcast.net)

*Boys lacrosse* (Andrew Peritore: coachpbhslax at gmail.com)

*Boys Water Polo *(Brodie Jasper: brodinj at gmail.com)

*Girls Water Polo* (Bill Gaebler: williamfgaebler at gmail.com and Amanda
Palmquist: amanda.palmquist at gmail.com)

Other sports are waiting to get clearance from the state

*Volleyball, Badminton, Basketball, and Wrestling*

<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration>
for these sports ASAP even if you haven’t got your physical yet!
Registering puts you on contact lists used by coaches and administrators.
You must add your physical to be cleared. Find coach contact information
for these sports here
<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Sports>.

*Basketball conditioning:* Boys and girls basketball is doing outdoor
conditioning once a week. There may be some space. You must Register
<https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/Resources/athlete-registration>
and contact the coaches:

*Girls basketball* (Shawn Hipol: coachshawnhipol at gmail.com)

*Boys basketball* (Mike Hudson: yellowjacketshoops at gmail.com)

*Buy the 2020-2021 yearbookApply to be on the 2021-2022 Yearbook Staff*

 Please go to this link to purchase the yearbook
<https://www.yearbookordercenter.com/?event=general.displayLanding&jobnumber=16356>

Time is running out. If there is anything related to the yearbook that you
need or want please visit this linktree: https://linktr.ee/BerkeleyYearBook

*Apply to be on the 2021-2022 Yearbook Staff*

Yearbook is a 7th period for all grade levels. It's an UC (f) arts credit
and we need editor positions (which gets honors credit). We're accepting
apps until the end of the month.  The Sign up URL is here:
https://tinyurl.com/yb2122

Submitted by @berkeleyearbook

*Our Monologues 2021*

The show must go on! Our Monologues 2021, directed by Risa Sundu and Rusma
Kharel, has adapted to the restraints of the pandemic and will be free to
watch live on YouTube on March 13th at 6:00pm and March 20th at 7:30pm.
Find us by looking up "Our Monologues Berkeley High" on YouTube or Google.

Our Monologues is dedicated to giving a platform to stories that might
otherwise go unheard, with an emphasis on the intersections of gender,
sexuality, race, identity, trauma, and more. We hope you tune in March 13th
and 20th to hear the stories your community has to share!

Our Monologues Website <https://ourmonologuesbhs.wordpress.com>Our
Monologues YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqf5aRV5byTogFkOR70N-_g>

Submitted by @ourmonologuesbhs

*Guide to the 2021 BHS Elections*We are just over one week away from the
2021 ASB Ballot going live and students across "campus" being able to elect
their preferred candidates for various student leadership positions using
ranked choice voting. It is crucial that we have great representation and
turnout for this student led election of student representatives. Get
prepared before voting begins on March 22nd.

*A Guide to the 2021 BHS Elections*
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1sSwmlj9xFLIign0xpK5zWvL-0h0g8e4b_ogWeYaD7-Y/edit#slide=id.gbfa3f25e90_0_0>

Submitted by @juicethejackets

*Weekly Volunteer Opportunity*

Interested in uncovering historical documents and helping historians better
understand our past? Check out this volunteer opportunity with the National
Archives — you transcribe old documents, from hundred-year-old military
reports to letters written between diplomatic leaders. Visit
bit.ly/bhsArchives to sign up!

For more volunteer opportunity recommendations, visit Emi's Linktree:
https://linktr.ee/emichiefofservice

Submitted by @emichiefofservice

*Women’s History Month Issue*The Jacket Newspaper is accepting submissions
for the Women’s History Month Issue!

Is there a woman in your life who you want to celebrate, whether they are a
family member, essential worker, teacher, or friend? The Jacket is planning
a “Women of Berkeley” portrait project to celebrate the women of the
Berkeley community. Nominate someone here
https://forms.gle/aNYRabUtWuGKp6EF6

The Jacket is also accepting submissions from all writers, poets,
illustrators, photographers, designers, and artists. Submissions may be of
any form, including photos, visual art, poetry, audios, etc. Send them to
adelinepraskins at students.berkeley.net by March 5th.

Find out more on @bhsjacket

If any BHS student/staff member is interested in submitting an announcement
this year, there are some basic guidelines to follow:

Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:1. It must be
relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members. 2. It must be a
message that promotes community and builds up positive school culture. 3.
Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.

Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From by Monday
morning: http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin

About

ASB Leadership is a collective student voice composed of a diverse body of
student leaders. Our mission is to create a more positive and engaging
experience at Berkeley High through civic engagement, community building,
sustainability, social events, and positive staff-student relations.

Contact Info

Berkeley High ASB Leadership

1980 Allston Way, Berkeley CA United States 94704
johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net

510.644.8990

Go Jackets!

Useful Links

BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>

Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>

Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

Follow @juicethejacket <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>

Current List of Student Clubs
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/student-activities-3/berkeley-high-clubs/>

*Notification of Non-Discrimination Policy*The Berkeley Unified School
District is committed to providing equal opportunity for all individuals in
district programs and activities. Accordingly, BUSD programs and activities
shall be free from discrimination, harassment, intimidation and bullying
based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender,
gender identity, gender expression; nationality, race or ethnicity,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group
with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. The Board
shall promote programs which ensure that discriminatory practices are
eliminated in all district activities. (Board Policy 0410, Board Policy
1311, Board Policy 4030, Board Policy 5145.3, Board Policy 5145.7)

The Board also prohibits retaliation against any district employee or job
applicant who complains, testifies or in any way participates in the
district’s complaint procedures instituted pursuant to this policy. (Board
Policy 4030)

Complaint forms are available at school sites and on the district webpage
at www.berkeleyschools.net/complaints.

December 1, 2020. For inquiries or concerns regarding BUSD
nondiscrimination policy 5145.3 or the filing of discrimination complaints
please contact:Stephen Jimenez-Robb, Title IX and Compliance2020 Bonar
Street Room 116, Berkeley, CA 94702 Phone: 510.486.9338

Email: nondiscrimination at berkeley.net

*_____________________________*

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2020-2021 Calendar: 2020-2021 Calendar
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2020-21-BUSDCalendar_5.15.19.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

word only in the subject line: subscribe