[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Week of October 5th Student Video Bulletin

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Oct 5 16:39:24 PDT 2020

BERKELEY HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT BULLETIN
*One big, red & gold family!*

Felix Mousigian, Chief of Publicity
Aaron Rumph, Chief of Publicity
Mr. V, Director of Student Activities
2020-2021 ASB Leadership
Week of October 5, 2020
The Student Bulletin Archives are always available here
<http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>.
Student Bulletin Video Episodes release Monday or Tuesday
Student Bulletin messages release Monday & Thursday or Friday

Student Bulletin Episode 7 <https://youtu.be/H1Ukc1C-lSA>

Friday Shoutouts <https://youtu.be/CQLV08wkOZE>

Join Our Club Education For A Younger Generation!!

 Our club will meet once a week on Tuesdays at lunch. We will create
slideshows on relevant issues in our society that we want to educate middle
schoolers on! Those topics include body image, mental health, how to feel
comfortable using the word no etc. Later in the year we will present the
slideshows we make over zoom to the middle schoolers interested. If you
want to sign up here is the Google Form
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc6YGGZ9BkG3UApXq1NDy5xtp16QopjIJLtL_u0oEy8ucEe6w/viewform?usp=sf_link>!
 If
you have any questions feel free to email me.

My email is juliathomas at students.berkeley.net

Calling all Jacket Creatives!

We are looking for a new opening theme song and backing track for this
student video bulletin. And we are also taking video submissions for an
upcoming assembly. If you have a video clip of a recent song, dance, rap,
poem, soliloquy, dramatic reading, impersonation, or other, consider
sharing it with the wider BHS community at our upcoming virtual
assembly. Submit your video for consideration by October 9th.

DM @juicethejackets <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>on
Instagram or send a message to Mr. V <johnvillavicencio at berkeley.net>from
your student email.

BHS Student Mock Election

  It is cliche to state that this upcoming election is the most important
one of our lifetimes, but also very true. Even though most high school
students cannot place a vote in this election, you can have an impact in
other ways. You can educate your older voting contacts about the issues.
You can work at the polls. You can pre-register to vote. The more aware and
engaged we all are, the better this will serve our community and
democracy. BHS is hosting a student mock election that closes on the
afternoon of October 5th with BHS results to be announced later in the
week. Students check your email for the ballot if it isn’t past the
deadline.For more info on California voter registration, please visit the
BHS Leadership website
<https://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/?page_id=1553>. Remember 16 and 17
year olds can PRE-register to vote and 18 year olds, you can register
online to vote in this year’s election up until October 19th. Make your
voting plan today!

Class of ‘24 Freshman Mentorship Program

We are really excited to invite you to the first Freshman Mentorship
Program meeting on Wednesday October 7, at 1:30 pm.You have the opportunity
to interact with and get advice from some exceptional upperclassmen and
continue to build relationships with other students  in your hive.The
program will only be around 30 minutes per week, and less as the year goes
on. You will meet with your group (2 mentors and around 6-10 freshmen) to
check in, learn about our school, and just socialize in general. Here is a
direct message from the mentors to the Class of 2024. You will get a
follow-up email from your mentors with a Zoom link. We look forward to
getting to know you!
See you October 7th at 1:30 pm.  *P.S. If you have any questions you want
an upperclassman to answer, enter it in this **linked form*
<https://forms.gle/jmFewNhfNCjKVRru6>*.* Go Jackets!

Upcoming Panel

UC Berkeley Graduate students & Professors will present about Democracy in
short segments, allowing for a minimal time commitment, and an opportunity
to ask questions and enlist in the mentorship program for research.
Learn more about Democracy Wed. Oct. 7 at 4pm
https://berkeley.zoom.us/j/99703589657
Meeting ID: 997 0358 9657
Mentorship Program

Following the panel discussion, consider getting involved in the mentorship
program in order to participate in projects l at UC Berkeley. This can also
be a great extracurricular activity for college applications.
Reach out to Zephyr Zoidis if you have any questions.

College & Career Center Updates

Please review the weekly CCC message from Mary Jacobs for the latest
college-related info. The message contains the schedule for college visits,
essay readers, advising appointments with BHS counselors, study abroad
options, application workshops, scholarships, and other great
resources.  You can always find a great wealth of information on the CCC
website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/>
and the CCC Calendar
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/calendar/>
.

Here is a list of this week’s college visits:
Mon. 10/5/20 at 11:30am: Lewis & Clark College
https://zoom.us/j/2513694049

Tues. 10/6/20 at 11:30am: University of Puget Sound
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89723152525?pwd=T3NLUGh1ZXVFOGNQQXh5ck9ySXh4UT09

Wed. 10/7/20 at 11:30am: Johns Hopkins University
https://jh.zoom.us/j/97503924730

Thurs. 10/8/20 at 11:30am: Colorado University, Boulder
https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/94736297315

Fri. 10/9/20 at 11:30am: Oberlin College
https://oberlin.zoom.us/j/94896887651

CSU Week: Register for info sessions for 23 campuses at:
https://www2.calstate.edu/apply/csuweek/Pages/default.aspx

If anyone is interested in submitting an announcement this year, there are
some basic guidelines to follow:

Here are the basic guidelines for submitting a bulletin:

1. It must be relevant to roughly 100 or more students or staff members.
2. It must be a message that promotes community and builds up positive
school culture.
3. Please no birthday announcements or personal requests.
Please submit your morning announcement to the Google From:
http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin

*BHS Activities & Events*
BHS Website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
Follow @juicethejackets  <https://www.instagram.com/juicethejackets/>
Student Bulletin Archive <http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/>
Submit a Bulletin <http://bit.ly/bhsstudentbulletin>

--
Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2020-2021 Calendar: 2020-2021 Calendar
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2020-21-BUSDCalendar_5.15.19.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe