[BHS Etree] ADMIN: JUNIORS: Registration for Oct 17 PSAT starts Sep 28 (Mon.)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Sep 25 12:13:15 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact benettewilliams at berkeley.net <mailto:benettewilliams at berkeley.net>

We apologize for the delayed information about the PSAT. We have been coordinating with the City of Berkeley around the move to the Red Tier <https://www.berkeleyside.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ACCO-RedTier.pdf> and can share the good news: We are able to offer an in-person PSAT on October 17th. Given that we learned this information after our initial planned registration window, we will be shifting our whole registration process back a week so that it runs from 9/28 - 10/08. Below is the key information about the PSAT you need at this time:

WHO? Interested 11th Graders. Due to COVID-19, we cannot extend the test to 10th graders this year.

WHAT? PSAT is preparation for SAT and Juniors are eligible for National Merit Scholarships Competition.

WHEN? Saturday, October 17, 2020. For the safety of students and staff, we will be using staggered start times; we are still working on the logistics so cannot yet offer start and end times. We ask that you leave the day as open as possible to give the school flexibility.

COST?  Fee is $30, payable online by credit card or through the mail to Total Registration by check.

Juniors participating in the free and reduced lunch program pay $5 once their eligibility has been verified; please email a copy of the confirmation letter or email to benettewilliams at berkeley.net <mailto:benettewilliams at berkeley.net> at the time of registration.
To register for the free and reduced lunch program, go to: https://secure.ezmealapp.com/ApplicationScreen.aspx <https://secure.ezmealapp.com/ApplicationScreen.aspx>).
We had to increase the cost from $25 to $30 because of the need for smaller proctor:student ratios due to COVID. We apologize for the inconvenience.

HOW DO I SIGN UP?

Registration will take place from 8AM on Monday 9/28 until 11PM on Thursday 10/8.
Click on www.TotalRegistation.net/PSAT/050290 <http://www.totalregistation.net/PSAT/050290>. To complete registration, students must answer all required questions. Registration is not complete until students have printed/saved the PDF of the confirmation page that is provided at the end. Please be sure to have a credit or debit card before beginning registration.
Remember, www.TotalRegistation.net/PSAT/050290 <http://www.totalregistation.net/PSAT/050290> goes live at 8AM on Monday 9/28 and ends at 11PM on Thursday 10/8.

WHAT CAN I EXPECT ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM?

Per guidelines from the College Board <https://pages.collegeboard.org/sat-covid-19-updates>: All students and staff must wear a mask at all times during the test, verify that they are in good health on the day of the exam, and observe social distancing.
There will be no more than 15 students per room and 1 proctor.
We will use staggered start times so that entering school, leaving school, and bathroom breaks will vary. Start time information will be forthcoming as we work on logistics, so we ask students to keep the day as open as possible to allow the most flexibility for the school.
Before entering the test rooms, students will need to respond affirmatively to the SAT Test Center COVID-19 Safety Screening here <https://pages.collegeboard.org/sat-covid-19-updates> (scroll down to statements).

WHAT IF I CANNOT TAKE THE PSAT BUT STILL WANT TO QUALIFY FOR THE National Merit Scholarship Program?
A student who does not take the PSAT/NMSQT in October 2020 or January 2021 because of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance (including school closures), but meets all other requirements for NMSC program participation, may still be able to enter the 2022 National Merit Scholarship Program by submitting scores from an administration of the SAT.  The student or a school official must visit www.nationalmerit.org/resources <http://emclick.imodules.com/ls/click?upn=5WN-2FGWfLHGcXV4ziuEWjztGkm7fQ-2FrthRxjNRI5ufony0O4Ssmcc9cy69lNecftTAP2fTpvpOLxtpiZk-2B96Eyd6b34zmBeMn-2Bc2kH-2BbKxSWCbSjsfdGhahm-2Fi4bIviTDhy-2BsXkps16lSqFJsOJWWIw-3D-3Dxi_t_raZPICW2r-2FEj1yR8MsJzegq1c1D1LMx1Y4LFEtFGTWyldcCjJaGtLecOBANG2LgJJw-2Bj6kaYz3DXyKbIhzV6X9C05psMF2Phqe3CBUnf6ox4kZEneQE5d526Hmvfq6zkUUPXaazpIiTsp7X7rXA0Qj7R-2FwYa6824NvExSG1FDEAqRiolcIwfeXWscIE9BB8RsmmBUGWh6dPVoE344-2BKMuQ0Ifq5aL0efKhKKPJ0sY8HBD0bjLI2DH3b5KMwkzQcAyg-2B5MncXbqzPnWQ6BQLvumWQ-2BDhZG8t27HMY6JQ1ANNusa17YsHHyv-2Fng5QvmtnnWEeJXlGMOjQUClAYs1NtXHsVERkjwjHM80oK-2F0L3uXYDGJpC2O-2FdwTvKL5rfaxtfCHTdD00j5aUTAv2hFlym0ZqolPWQP27YTwebokIDY5brNAuBb3-2FwWZxrrFceKcohGCE0J9URBVU9nxWflQbpsNe08NLMKptmF7AYfCZ7AgEbmoIY7rhnNTfTGyg5LZtIHuPX5m6S7IQtwVLPZ2rGgFVGCsTd-2BEV2QTmzeitKImw-3D> after the missed PSAT/NMSQT administration to download information about procedures for Alternate Entry to the 2022 National Merit Scholarship Program.  To be considered, a student must complete certain requirements before April 1, 2021.

Please note that the ability to give the PSAT on 10/17 does not change the cancellation of the SAT on 10/3, as we had to cancel with the College Board at the time we made that announcement. We will continue to monitor trends to see if we are able to move forward with future SATs and ACTs; please continue to check e-tree messages and our BHS website for updates.

If you have additional questions, please contact Benette Williams, SAT/ACT/PSAT Coordinator, at benettewilliams at berkeley.net <mailto:benettewilliams at berkeley.net>.

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, Chaghig Walker, and Charlotte Le Liboux are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2020-2021 Calendar: 2020-2021 Calendar <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/2020-21-BUSDCalendar_5.15.19.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy <http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy>

To unsubscribe from the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>