[BHS Etree] BHSDG: $25K Spring Match, Online Video & Updates

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 4 09:35:56 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Berkeley High School Development
Group at info at bhsdg.org.

Dear BHS Community:

Your support of the Development Group is crucial and deeply appreciated.
During this time of the Coronavirus and upcoming school budget cuts, there
will be needs for technology, curriculum resources, professional
development, and so much more. BHSDG is committed to providing assistance
and support to the high schools, but we need your help.

$25,000 Spring Match Campaign

With that in mind, the BHSDG is excited to announce our annual SPRING
CHALLENGE GRANT of $25,000 in time for May 5th, a global day of unity,
#GivingTuesdayNow! This challenge grant will double your contribution to
Berkeley High School Development Group, up to $25,000, if you donate by May
17th!

Thank you to all who have donated so generously this year. For those of you
who have not yet had a chance, now is the perfect opportunity. Our goal is
100% participation at any level.

DONATE Here <http://bhsdg.org/wp/give/> or mail checks to BHSDG, P.O. Box
519, Berkeley, CA 94701.

Online Conversation with Professor Jennifer Doudna & Glenn Wolkenfeld

While we were disappointed our Friends of Berkeley High Luncheon 2020 had
to be canceled due to the COVID-19 crisis, we are delighted to announce an
online version of the planned presentation.

In this online conversation
<https://bhsdg.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0b24f9268faa3e5b9c9e46bde&id=1a5a34ef7f&e=c564828b09>,
we feature UC Berkeley Professor Jennifer Doudna, the co-discoverer of
the CRISPR-cas9
gene-editing method and one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people.
The CRISPR technology has the potential to achieve breakthrough therapies
for diseases ranging from sickle cell anemia to cystic fibrosis. It also
raises questions about the ethics of redesigning life itself. Prof. Doudna
addresses how CRISPR can be used to fight against COVID-19, her UC Berkeley
lab’s vital role as a pop-up testing center
<https://bhsdg.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0b24f9268faa3e5b9c9e46bde&id=126606ef7d&e=c564828b09>,
the ethics of gene-editing technologies, and what everyone must do to
achieve greater diversity and interest in STEM fields.

Superstar BHS biology teacher Glenn Wolkenfeld moderates the discussion.

WATCH HERE! <http://bhsdg.org/wp/event/>

BHSDG Updates during the Shutdown

BHSDG has continued to work throughout the shelter in place. Key areas
include:

   -

   We are working with high school principals and staff to identify site
   needs that can be supported by the BHSDG.
   -

   We are coordinating with the Berkeley Public Schools Fund on high school
   specific funding requests.
   -

   We funded a grant request to purchase custom-designed lawn signs for the
   2020 senior class.
   -

   We are accepting online applications for our First Step Awards for
   graduating seniors to support their transition to college. Application can
   be found here: First Step Application
   <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1X4tmPv_Y3xa8CDLpHZihgjkHOTTRbzj95BAOoG2N9sQ/edit>

The Berkeley High School Development Group is a volunteer-run, 501 (c)(3)
non-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen and support the
educational experience of all BHS students by raising and distributing
funds. Tax-ID #: 94-3173406.

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe