[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: JUNIORS: Free webinars on college application process, Apr. 22 and Apr. 29

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 15 18:14:58 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mary Jacobs at
maryjacobs at berkeley.net.

Juniors:  Got questions about the college application process?

Sign Up for Free Webinar from the College Essay Guy, Ethan Sawyer, on 4/22
and 4/29 at 4:00pm.

https://event.webinarjam.com/register/23/pqz5gal

Two-part webinar series for juniors to kick off the college application
process this year.

Junior Night: What can I be doing right now? (Part 1)

April 22nd, 4pm-5:00pm PT (7pm-8:00pm ET)

Special Guests:

Rick Clark, Director of Undergraduate Admission @ Georgia Tech

Susan Tree, Former HS Counselor & Former Associate Dean of Admission @
Bates College

In this interview-style webinar, we’ll focus on two themes: de-stressing
and focusing on things we can control. Call it A College Admissions
Serenity Prayer.

We’ll cover:

   -

   What impact is COVID-19 likely to have on the admissions process? What’s
   likely to be different? The same?
   -

   How should students and families approach the college admissions process
   amidst some uncertainty?
   -

   Are juniors at a disadvantage? Why or why not?
   -

   What can juniors be doing right now?
   -

      An overall timeline
      -

      What we do and don’t know about standardized testing
      -

      Teacher recommendations
      -

   What can parents be doing right now?
   -

   How to begin developing a balanced college list (even if you can’t visit
   campus)
   -

   Q&A

Did you notice I didn’t mention essays at all there?

I’m saving that for the following week:

Planting Seeds for Your College Application & Essays (Part 2)

April 29th, 4pm-5:00pm PT (7pm-8:00pm ET)

Notice I didn’t call this a “College Essay Kick-off” or “Hurry Up and Write
Your Essay Tomorrow” Webinar. Why? Because you do NOT have to start your
essays yet. You’ve got plenty of time. Focus on finishing the year strong
with grades/finals/APs.

On this session, I’ll cover:

   -

   Big Picture Stuff: 5 Tips for Keeping Stress Low and Creativity High
   -

   A Sane College Application Timeline
   -

   The Importance of Finding and Showing Your Core Values
   -

   How to Create a Great Activities List
   -

   What’s the Additional Info Section, Anyway?
   -

   The Purpose of the Personal Statement
   -

   Two Fun Ways to Find Your Personal Statement Topic
   -

   50+ College Application Resources
   -

   Q&A Time with Ethan

Register Here
<https://el2.convertkit-mail.com/c/4zux2v9qg8iehg9xxnhx/6qheh8hdgpqxpm/aHR0cHM6Ly9ldmVudC53ZWJpbmFyamFtLmNvbS9yZWdpc3Rlci8yMy9wcXo1Z2Fs>

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe