[BHS Etree] ADMIN: BHS Update, Apr. 15 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Apr 15 13:25:02 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

Good afternoon BHS Families!

I hope that this update finds you all healthy, safe, and strong.  Thank you
for your patience as we worked out details about how we would handle
video-conferencing this week.  We are on our third day of using Google Meet
and I am grateful and amazed at how quickly our teachers have adapted to
the details and nuances of a new system so that we can be connected with
our students in this important way.

We are learning more about the Zoombombing incident last week, namely that
it may have been a pre-recorded video that some students recognized from
online culture.  I have been reflecting that as we adults enter this online
world in new ways, it is certainly not new to our teens, and incidents like
this one will reflect that. I also want to emphasize that regardless of the
origin of the content that day, it was disruptive and upsetting, and we
want to prevent future incidents as much as it is within our power to do
so.  Our district is continuing to communicate with developers at Zoom and
I am hopeful that may lead to a return of this particular platform, but in
the interim I am grateful we have another option for our students and
teachers.

A few other highlights of our current efforts include:

- We are continuing to work out the details of office hours so that
students experience fewer direct conflicts. This includes creating a
"master schedule" of office hours across the school.  If your student is
experiencing multiple conflicts with office hours, we are likely already
working on that, but they are welcome to reach out to their Vice Principal
for help sorting it out.  We have also asked teachers to structure their
office hours into shorter chunks of time to work with smaller groups of
students in order to prevent unwanted intrusions as well as focus in on
connecting as much as possible.

- We finished up with our main Chromebook distribution times, but there are
still opportunities to get help if you need it, or if your issued
Chromebook is having technical difficulties.  Come to the District Office
parking lot at the corner of Allston and Browning at the following times
for support:

Mondays: Noon - 2pm

Wednesdays: 3:30 to 5:30

Fridays: Noon- 2pm.

Finally, I want to emphasize that it is important to us that a student's
experience of Distance Learning has some clear uniformity across the
school.  That can be a challenge even without a pandemic, but the following
elements should be familiar to students from all of their classes:
communication each Monday on Google Classroom about assignments that are
due that week, assignments in each class that require focused work time to
complete off-line, and the optional office hours discussed above.  We are
keeping track of any students that are not checking in and offering support
in a number of ways. Additionally, all students were sent a survey
yesterday so that they were able to sign up for 1-1 tutoring through our
Academic Support Center, much like they were able to access in the College
and Career Center after school.

Please take good care, and I will write again soon.

Erin (on behalf of the admin team)

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe