[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Closure Update, March 20 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Mar 20 18:18:47 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact .

March 20, 2020

Good afternoon BHS families,

What a week.

Before going into logistics and details, I'd like to propose a frame for
our thinking and response over the next few weeks.  I was just looking
through various emails from the last few days, and it's incredibly striking
how quickly our plans changed hour by hour, and certainly day by day.  We
have adapted, worked together, been flexible, and certainly also taken time
to pause and be astounded, anxious, and stunned by the changing news as it
came to us.

I hope we can continue to first focus on caring for each other and for our
kids.  Absorb the new reality we are in, rest, respond as needed, and know
that COVID-19 has changed life as we know it during this period.  Whenever
I pause to check wider news, I'm reminded that we are not alone.  Our
neighboring districts, states, and other countries are asking and
struggling to answer many of the same questions we face.

Next week, we will continue to share our evolving thinking and plans about
what online learning will look like for BHS students in the weeks to come.
We are pulling together working groups by content area, continuing to
distribute technology, finding best practices for supporting students with
learning needs online, and all the work associated with offering more than
we had anticipated when school closed last Friday.  I will continue to
communicate about those efforts throughout next week, and I deeply
appreciate your patience as we, to use an overworked metaphor, build the
plane while we are flying in it...unexpectedly and without our students
right there with us.  We miss them very much!

Take good care,

Erin, on behalf of the BHS Admin Team

*UPDATES:*

*Technology update *

We began distribution of Chromebooks at BHS yesterday, and will continue
throughout next week.  We are continuing to prioritize students who receive
Free and Reduced Price Lunch.  There are three ways to request a Chromebook
if you have not already - pick your favorite!

   1. Send an email to chromebook at berkeley.net
   <chromebook at berkeley.net?subject=>
   2. Leave a message at (510) 644-8931
   3. Fill out a form at berkeleyschools.net/connecting

Our BHS Pick up location will be on Milvia at the Kittredge doors
(breezeway).  You can choose to come on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday from
between 11-1:00pm.

*Free Internet resources/Network Information **here*
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vR7IDa3L2WehamV76LIqHaxk18J1tYEL/view>*. *

This information can also be found on the Berkeley High School home page
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>.

*Suggested Resources for Families*
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15KxueBGZwhBvxIVS0OLGewgkX273XVeeoBhvwmPzAqY/edit?ts=5e73fb80>*
<--CLICK HERE!*

The BHS administration has pulled together suggested resources for families
here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15KxueBGZwhBvxIVS0OLGewgkX273XVeeoBhvwmPzAqY/edit?ts=5e73fb80>.
This is a new link from the one that was previously shared.  We will
continue to add to and develop this resource.

*Course Scheduling (for 2020-21 School Year)*

All BHS 9th, 10th, and 11th graders should continuously check their student
emails for instructions regarding their course requests and Small Learning
Community (SLC) lottery assignments (if applicable).  All scheduling and
communication will likely need to be completed online, but Administrators
and Counselors will be available via email.  The tentative deadline to
submit and edit course requests is Friday, April 10, 2020.

*Course Withdrawal Requests*

The original deadline to drop a course with a “W” on your transcript was
Tuesday, March 18th - afterwards it would be dropped with an “F” on your
transcript.  We will extend this deadline: if you need to submit a request
to drop a course, please contact your School Counselor via email
immediately but no later than Tuesday, April 7th.

*Volunteerism/Donations*

The Berkeley Public Schools Fund will be leading district volunteerism and
donations efforts and coordination.  Their work is currently focused on
providing support to the students and families most impacted by COVID-19.
They are working with the BUSD Office of Family Engagement and Equity, the
BUSD Homeless Outreach Program and the District Administration to identify
needs and to direct services to students and families.  Needs they are
currently aware of include groceries, emergency housing assistance, books
and access to technology.  While the exact needs are coming into focus, it
is clear that the effects are broad and the need is great.  If you would
like to get involved:

Please Donate to Support Students and Families
<https://www.berkeleypublicschoolsfund.org/donate-2-2/online-donation/>

Sign up to Volunteer
<https://www.berkeleypublicschoolsfund.org/forms/bsv-one-time-volunteer-events/>
(BSF will be in touch regarding upcoming volunteer opportunities)

*Health Center*

Students, check your email for an important update I sent earlier today
about health services while the health center is closed.

*TESTING UPDATES*

*State SBA testing:* Both State Superintendent Tony Thurmond and Governor
Gavin Newsom have stated that all state tests will be suspended, pending
federal waiver.

*ELPAC:* The state has given an extension to complete English Language
Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC); the adjustment window will
depend on the length of school closure.  Ms. Maaze will continue to
coordinate on this assessment.  If we do not return this school year, we
will let you know what our next steps will be.

*IB assessments:* International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) has
informed us that they will send news about the status of May exams by March
27, 2020.  We will let you know once we hear from them.  The IBO has
granted us extensions on Internal Assessments (IAs). IAs will now be due to
teachers by May 1, 2020.  As of now, World Language oral exams will be
completed once students are back at Berkeley High.  There is no expectation
that students are working on their IAs right now; your top priority is to
stay safe and practice social distancing.  Mr. Clegg will be sending up
additional messages later about IAs and IB exams as we have new
information, as this is an evolving situation.

*Advanced Placement (AP) testing:*

*Please check out the most recent **update from the College Board*
<https://apcentral-preview.collegeboard.org/about-ap/news-changes/coronavirus-update>*
today.  Some highlights below:*

   - Traditional face-to-face exam administrations will not take place per
   the College Board, exams will be taken at home.

   - Some students may want to take the exam sooner rather than later,
   while the content is still fresh.  Other students may want more time to
   practice.  For each AP subject, there will be 2 different testing dates.

   - The full exam schedule, specific free-response question types that
   will be on each AP Exam, and additional testing details will be *available
   by April 3.  The College Board will also unlock any relevant free-response
   questions in AP Classroom for digital use so students can access all
   practice questions of the type that will appear on the exam.*

   - *Look for more details to come as we learn new information.  If you
   have further questions, please email Tammy Rose, VP at *
   *tammyrose at berkeley.net* <tammyrose at berkeley.net?subject=>*. *

   - *SATs and ACTs:* College Board has cancelled May SATs
   <https://pages.collegeboard.org/natural-disasters> and April ACTs
   <https://www.act.org/content/act/en/covid-19.html>.  We still have
   openings in the June 6th SAT, so please sign up directly with the College
   Board.  We are unable to limit sign-ups to just BHS students, so instead
   are encouraging our students to sign up as quickly as possible.  BHS has
   not had plans to offer the June 13th ACT, as it falls during BHS graduation.

*ATHLETICS UPDATE*

Berkeley High School Athletics is closed through Spring Break.  There are
no practices, games or access to facilities until we resume normal
operations.  Athletic Directors will respond to messages as they can during
the period of closure.  If you need up-to-date information, please visit
our WEBSITE <https://sites.google.com/berkeley.net/bhsathletics/home>.

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS E-tree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*