[BHS Etree] ADMIN: School Closure

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Mar 12 20:41:58 PDT 2020

PLEASE do not reply to this email

Good evening students and staff,

I'm copying below a communication that has just come from the Supt's office.  Please note a few things:

- School for students will be cancelled at BHS tomorrow (and on Monday for all other BUSD students) up through at least Spring Break.  Students, you do not need to worry about clearing absences during this time.

- Staff will report to work one last day tomorrow in order to prepare for online learning options; students, you will hear more about that in the next few days, so please keep checking your student email.

- For tomorrow, students who need breakfast and lunch can get it at BHS, please see the letter below for details.

Thank you for your patience and care for so many others in our community as we worked to figure out what to do in response to COVID-19.  Feel free to email me or any administrator with questions.

Ms. Schweng

March 12, 2020

Dear BUSD Colleagues.

As you may know, many local school districts are choosing to close schools, beginning next week, in order to address concerns about the spread of the coronavirus. I’m writing to let you know that Berkeley Unified will close our preschools, elementary and middle schools, as well as Berkeley Adult School, starting on Monday, March 16.

We have decided to cancel classes for our high school students sooner, and we apologize for the short notice, but as of Friday, March 13, all high school classes will be closed, so that high school staff can have time to work on options for students to do home learning while they are away from school.

Please remind your students that coronavirus is a serious health concern and they can help prevent the spread by staying home as much as possible. Berkeley High School students can still go to school on Friday to pick up breakfast from 9:00 to 9:30 and lunch from 12:00 to 12:30  at the Allston gate, and BTA students can pick up food in front of BTA. We are also making plans to provide meals for all students starting next week and will provide further details.

We hope to re-open schools after Spring Break, on Monday, April 6.  Our District Office will be closed to the public while schools are closed, but District Office staff will continue to work to keep essential operations going and we will continue to communicate with you, and if need be, we will adjust the reopening date.

Please know that the Board of Education and I do not take this decision lightly. After considering guidance from health officials, we wrestled a great deal to measure the costs and benefits of closing our schools. Today’s announcement of four new coronavirus cases in Alameda County <http://www.acphd.org/media/559189/alameda-county-press-release-20200312.pdf>, two of which are the county’s first cases of community-acquired transmission, added to our concerns.

I have been deeply touched by the overwhelming concern I hear in our community about protecting our most vulnerable individuals from the coronavirus. We hope that this step will support the regional effort to slow the spread of coronavirus in our area.

It’s very important that we all do our part to prevent further spread of the virus.  Everyone should continue to wash hands, cover your cough, stay home if you are not well, and avoid large gatherings in order to help slow the spread of the disease.

We’ll communicate more tomorrow with additional information about resources for students and families during this closure.  Please go to our website at berkeleyschools.net <http://berkeleyschools.net/> and also watch your email for further updates as we work on providing ways to support our staff and students while the District is closed.

Sincerely,

Brent Stepehns, Ed.D.
Superintendent

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920 <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy <http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy>

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.