[BHS Etree] ATHLETICS: Year End Update

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Dec 18 11:11:28 PST 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email Contact:  <>President at Berkeleyathleticfund.net <mailto:President at Berkeleyathleticfund.net>

Year End Update from Berkeley Athletic Fund

It’s been a great year for Berkeley High Athletics!  Many of our student athletes earned League and NCS championships or were designated as NCS Scholastic Championship teams, while all of our 1200 student athletes gained the social, physical and mental benefits of representing Berkeley High on an athletic team.  Berkeley Athletic Fund (BAF) is proud to play a vital role in Berkeley High Athletics.

Increased Coach Stipends

We are most excited to report that after years of languishing far behind other schools, stipends for all our coaches have been increased to the median rate for schools in our league.  This was a major effort kicked off by BAF that required the cooperation of the School Board, Berkeley Federation of Teachers, BUSD administration, BHS administration, BSEP and BHS families and we have already experienced an improved ability to recruit and retain skilled coaches.  Sustaining these increased stipends will require ongoing support from BHS families as private fundraising through BAF is responsible for securing 20% of the increased stipend budget.

Supported BHS Teams

Donations to Berkeley Athletic Fund have funded the equipment, infrastructure and travel expenses that enrich the Berkeley High Athletic experience for all our student athletes.  Items funded or jointly funded this year include:

New shooting machine for Girls and Boys Basketball
New scoreboard and shot clocks for Girls and Boys Water Polo
New pitching machine for Baseball
New uniforms for Girls Soccer
New outdoor storage of athletic training equipment shared by all teams
New inflatable tunnel
Registration software used by all athletes
HUDL software to manage game film for all athletes
Workout tracking software used by all athletes
Travel support for Cheer squad to attend National Competition
Travel support for Boys Basketball to attend Tournament
Travel support for Baseball to attend Tournament and visit a college

  Booster Club Launched

Berkeley Athletic Fund has launched a new Berkeley High Booster Club this year to recognize those who support Berkeley High Athletics.  These Boosters, recognizable by their exclusive car magnets and BHS spirit wear, are essential for delivering a quality athletic experience for all 1200 BHS student athletes.  You can join the Booster Club today at www.berkeleyathleticfund.net/fundraising/booster-club <http://www.berkeleyathleticfund.net/fundraising/booster-club/>/

 How can you help?

Donate. Donate online at www.berkeleyathleticfund.net <http://www.berkeleyathleticfund.net/>, or via check payable to Berkeley Athletic Fund, P.O. Box 11525, Berkeley, CA 94712. Please inquire if your employer has a matching gift program that could double your donation.

Cheer.  Come out to a Berkeley High game, match, or meet to cheer on student athletes who balance demanding academics with demanding practice schedules.  Complete team schedules are always available here: westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/ <http://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/>

Volunteer.  BAF is entirely volunteer-run and we need parents who believe in the value of athletics as part of the High School educational experience to help collaborate on projects large and small.  BAF meets in the BHS Library at 7 pm on the second Monday of each month.  The next meeting is January 13 and all are invited!

Go Jackets!

Berkeley Athletic Fund
The mission of the Berkeley Athletic Fund (BAF), a non-profit volunteer organization, is to promote athletic excellence by enhancing the safety and competitiveness of the Berkeley High School sports programs.  BAF donations are crucial to the success of athletic programs and pay for such things as: freshman coaches, uniforms, equipment, expenses for overnight tournament trips, coach education courses and much more.  More information is available at www.berkeleyathleticfund.net <http://www.berkeleyathleticfund.net/>

Joe Vega
President, Berkeley Athletic Fund

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>
BHS website: http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/ <http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>
BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920 <https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy <http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy>

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ <http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/>, or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.