[BHS Etree] BHSDG: Fundraising News from the Berkeley High Development Group

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Dec 11 12:09:03 PST 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact info at bhsdg.org.

Your Donations at Work: Fundraising News from the Berkeley High School
Development Group

December 2019

Read on to learn more about fundraising activities this month from the
Berkeley High School Development Group (BHSDG), a story of impact, and
details of vital programs that your donations have funded, as well as the
many ways you can invest in strengthening our school.

Fundraising Updates

Annual report mailing: We hope you enjoyed reading the annual report we
mailed out recently. It’s our biggest fundraiser of the year, and last year
brought in more than $86,000 for the school. Many thanks to those who have
been inspired to make a donation. To those who have not yet donated, you
can still make a tax-deductible donation before the end of the year at
www.bhsdg.org, or via check payable to BHSDG, P.O. Box 519, Berkeley, CA
94701-0519. Please inquire if your employer has a matching gift program
that could double your donation.

The 2018-19 school year in review: Here are just a few of the things you
made possible with your gifts:

   -

   58 teacher and staff grants for teacher professional development,
   classroom supplies, field trips, and activities to enrich students’
   classroom experience.
   -

   More than 5,000 after-school tutoring sessions.
   -

   92 badly needed new Chromebooks and 220 new Kindle Fires to support
   student learning and increase student access to technology.
   -

   Testing and college application fees paid for 100 students.

You can read more about the impact of your gifts in our annual report:

http://bhsdg.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Annual-Report_2019_final_web.pdf

Partners Luncheon sponsorships now available: Special thanks to North
Berkeley Investment Partners for being our first sponsor for this year’s
annual Partners Luncheon, to be held March 24 at Revival Bar + Kitchen
(save the date!). Do you know a local business that might like to be a
sponsor? Last year, four businesses joined as platinum, gold, or silver
sponsors, and 82 business partners and friends participated in the
luncheon, raising $65,000 for BHS. Contact Ed Dua to learn more about the
sponsorship levels available: edwarddua at gmail.com.

Mrs. Dalloway's fundraiser. Many thanks to those who bought books during
November’s fundraiser at Mrs. Dalloway's. We raised $751!

A Story of Impact

For the second year, your donations have made possible a critical
professional development day for 19 BHS math teachers – who currently teach
2,329 students – to learn about each others’ philosophies for teaching
math, align course expectations, and develop common objectives for the
year. The goals are for students to have a consistent experience taking the
same course, and for teachers to cover the same material and uphold similar
standards for student success. “For me, being given the opportunity to
speak about my own reasons for teaching helped remind me of what was
important to me as a teacher,” says Monique Duncan-Harris, who co-leads the
math department. “Doing this helped me restructure some of the procedures
in my classroom to align more with my actual philosophy for teaching
mathematics.”

What Have Donations Funded Recently?

 Highlights of grants funded at our December board meeting include these
programs benefiting students:

Generation Citizen program ($2,500). Thanks to your donations, about 200
BIHS students in 12th grade Government class will participate in this
semester-long civic engagement program. Students will choose a key social,
economic, or political issue in our community, research its root causes,
and then design and act on a plan to address it with the help of local
leaders and influencers.

Green Dot T-shirts ($1,300). Each year, the Green Dot program trains BHS
juniors in a two-year program aimed at reducing sexual harassment, dating
violence, and bullying. Students who complete the training receive a
T-shirt, which allows the entire student body to identify these
“upstanders” who are available to help.

Special education tools ($419). Instructional Aides can access “on the fly
boxes” around campus to provide accommodations for students who need extra
support in their classes.

Field trip to SFMOMA ($148). Thirty art students will be able to get to the
museum on BART.

How You Can Help

Donate. Donate online at www.bhsdg.org, or via check payable to BHSDG, P.O.
Box 519, Berkeley, CA 94701-0519. Please inquire if your employer has a
matching gift program that could double your donation. You can also donate
stock by contacting stock at bhsdg.org.

Shop with eScrip. Register your credit, debit, and store club and loyalty
cards at www.escrip.com and earn money for Berkeley High. It's free to
enroll, and your purchases benefit the Berkeley Athletic Fund and BHSDG.
The BHS school code is 137646958.

Shop with AmazonSmile. When you remember to shop on Amazon at
smile.amazon.com, a portion of your order can go to BHSDG. Just choose
Berkeley High School Development Group as your charity when first signing
up or on the "Your Amazon Smile" page.

Volunteer. Are you an event planner, designer, organizer, fundraiser, tech
person, or other expert? BHSDG can use your help. Questions? Contact
info at bhsdg.org.

About BHSDG

We are an all-volunteer, nonprofit foundation made up of parents and
students whose mission is to strengthen the educational experience of every
Berkeley High School student. In the 2018-2019 school year, we directly
funded $352,000 in grants, and we managed an additional $261,000 of
donations and other revenue earmarked for specific learning communities,
programs, and departments.

BHSDG is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, and all donations
to BHSDG are tax deductible. We generally meet on the first Monday of each
month from September through June, except for holidays and school breaks.
The next board meeting will be 7-9 pm on Monday, January 6, in the College
and Career Center. Visitors and those interested in becoming members are
welcome!

To learn more about BHSDG, make a donation, become a business partner, or
submit a grant proposal, please visit http://bhsdg.org/wp/. For more
information, send an email to info at bhsdg.org.

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe