[BHS Etree] BUSD: 2020 High School Graduation

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Dec 6 16:15:14 PST 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact superintendent at berkeley.net
<superintendent at berkeley.net?subject=>.

Dear Berkeley High School and Berkeley Technology Academy Families,
Students, and Staff,

As we head toward the winter holiday, with the 2020 year right around the
corner, we know that after January, time seems to accelerate.  Before you
know it, June 13, 2020, the date of high school graduation, will be upon us!

I know that many families make their plans far in advance for this special
occasion, so I wanted to be sure that everyone knows the *graduation date
and time, *which is *Saturday, June 13, at 1:00 pm*.  I am also pleased to
announce that we will again be able to hold the ceremony at the Haas
Pavilion on the UC Berkeley campus.

Last year’s graduation ceremonies went very well, from what I’ve heard.
Families and staff have told me that this venue offered excellent comfort,
capacity, accessibility, audio/video quality and other amenities that
provided a positive experience for all participants.  In particular,
parking, accessibility, security, and seating for patrons, especially those
with disabilities, were greatly improved over the prior location at the
Greek Theatre.

I do want to note that the graduation ceremony will take place on a
Saturday afternoon, as it did last year.  I understand that some families
have a preference for Friday, either because of weekend travel plans, or
because of religious observations on Saturday.  BUSD Staff has worked with
UC Berkeley staff to determine whether a Friday ceremony would be possible,
and we have received a very firm response from UC that for a number of
reasons, including the availability of required UC staffing, this was
simply not possible.  We also explored a number of alternative sites, but
could not find a location that was suitable for the size of our Berkeley
High graduation event.  After several months of work to develop
alternatives, I regret that there was no perfect solution that will work
for every family.

My goal is to have a graduation ceremony that is as comfortable,
accessible, safe and welcoming for our graduates’ family members and
friends as possible, and I look forward to joining you on Saturday, June
13th for a meaningful and joyful celebration.

Thank you,

Brent Stephens, Ed.D.

Superintendent

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the E-tree; please direct any questions about the E-tree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS E-tree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*