[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Climate Strike Tomorrow - Update

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Sep 19 18:11:06 PDT 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

Good afternoon BHS Families,

I want to provide you with an update on the developing Climate Strike plans
since I last wrote on Friday 9/13.  Some things have not changed: our
understanding remains that students will meet at 8:30 in Civic Center Park,
and along with any other supporting adults, travel via BART to the location
of the rally in San Francisco.  What has changed is that over the course of
the last week, we have been monitoring the number of planned staff
absences, and we will have a large number of staff out tomorrow, about half
of which are covered by substitutes.  We simply do not have enough
substitutes to cover on a day like this, and even with support from
district office staff, we know for certain that it will not be a
business-as-usual day at BHS. We have made plans to open the Donahue Gym,
Library, and Little Theater throughout the day, and will of course make
sure that students are safe and supervised. But I want to be clear that
many classes tomorrow will not be proceeding as they normally would.

I’ll also remind you that in order to excuse your student’s absence for
participation in the Climate Strike, you can call the attendance office or
write an email to attendanceoffice at berkeley.net.  While we will not receive
ADA funds for these absences, we will be able to ensure that accrual toward
truancy consequences and robocalls will not happen for those students.

Thank you,

Erin and the BHS Admin Team

------------------------------------

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe.  The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net. <bhs-owner at lmi.net>

To *subscribe* to the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: subscribe