[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Welcome from Principal Schweng

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Fri Aug 23 14:31:53 PDT 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

August 22, 2019

Dear BHS Families,

On behalf of the entire administrative team, I would like to extend a very
warm welcome to you for the 2019-20 school year!  We have spent the last
several weeks doing the many tasks necessary to get BHS up and running and
ready for our 3100+ students to begin school on Monday, August 26th!
(Don’t forget, Monday is our late-start day in which we begin 1st period at
9:57 am).  We have one new member of our admin team this year; I’ve
included a chart below to show the areas that we each supervise as well as
introduce Aman Watson, our new Dean of Attendance.  We look forward to
meeting you at various parent meetings and at school activities throughout
the year.

As I write this, our teaching staff is meeting for their first Professional
Development meetings of the year.  We spent a significant chunk of time as
a staff this morning talking about our “why” - what brings us to this work,
especially in the world of 2019?  More than ever, we are committed as a
staff to focus on classroom and school-wide practices that bring equity to
the forefront, elevate and amplify the voices of the marginalized, and
provide all of our students the kind of education that will prepare them
for whatever they choose to be and do after they leave Berkeley High.  It
is an honor to work with this staff toward these important goals.

We so look forward to meeting our students on Monday.  It’s going to be a
great year.

Erin Schweng

Principal

*IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES:*

Monday, September 2:  NO SCHOOL - Labor Day

Thursday, September 26:  BHS Back to School Night

*IMPORTANT UPCOMING LINKS AND INFORMATION:*

Our BHS website <https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>: check out the new
sticky note on the front page with frequently updated info and resources!

Nutrition Services
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/departments/nutrition-services/> page
and Application
for Free and Reduced Lunch
<https://secure.ezmealapp.com/ApplicationScreen.aspx>

Order school pictures here!
<https://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Picture-Day-2019-08-19.pdf>

*VERY IMPORTANT ILLUMINATE INSTRUCTIONS - PLEASE USE TO UPDATE EMERGENCY
INFORMATION!*

Look for an emergency information survey in your student’s Illuminate Home
Connect Portal (berkeley.illuminatehc.com)  on the first day of school. If
you don't have an account,

   1.

   To access the Portal, go to  https://berkeley.illuminatehc.com/

   1.

   The first time you visit, click on Create Account (in Green).

   1.

   Complete the following page by filling in

First Name

Last Name

Email (This is the email address you will receive notifications about
grades and attendance.)

Phone

Access Code

Password Create your own password

Once this form is complete, click Submit.

If you need an access code, go to
https://script.google.com/macros/s/AKfycbx1t4jBdrtB7Wgtu5wThY32XAhACdVkgHmnevrk5dicW_ENlW4/exec

*If you are having issues*, please email illuminatehc at berkeley.net.

BHS Admin Team 2019-20

Role

Name

SLC and/or Department:

Returning as Principal

Erin Schweng

Returning as Vice Principal

Tammy Rose

AC, AFAM Studies Dept, P.E. Dept.

Returning as Vice Principal

Carrie Berg

BIHS, VAPA

Returning as Vice Principal

Tonia Coleman

U9, AMPS, World Languages Dept, Multilingual Program

Returning as Vice Principal

Juan Raygoza

CAS, AHA, Math 10th-12th grade

NEW Dean of Attendance

Aman Watson

Attendance, Science Dept

I’m super excited to join the Berkeley High community as the new Dean of
Attendance! I grew up in San Jose after immigrating to California from
India as a 3-year-old with my family. I have always loved working with
young people and started that journey 20 years ago as a history teacher at
Helms Middle School in San Pablo. I then taught art for five years at
Richmond High, coordinated after school programs, and finally made the leap
into school administration.  Before taking some time off to become a mother
last year, I served as an assistant principal at Life Academy in Oakland
for two years. I’m a UC Davis grad, with degrees in History and Psychology
and a Masters in education from UC Berkeley through the Principal
Leadership Institute. I have a real passion for working on teams and with
the whole school community to bring change and equity for all students. I
am an avid nature lover and road tripper with my partner and 1 year old
baby girl.  In my rare free time these days, you can find me learning
guitar, cooking something spicy, or biking up in Tilden.

Returning as Dean of Students

Kiernan Rok

OCI Staff and Program

Returning as SPED Program Manager

Susannah Bell

SPED Staff and Program

Returning as Math Coordinator

Sumeyye Cardakli

9th grade Math

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*