[BHS Etree] COLLEGE/CAREER: College and Career Center News and Updates

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Aug 22 16:59:00 PDT 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact David An, at davidan at berkeley.net
<davidan at berkeley.net?subject=>.

College/Career: College and Career Center News and Updates

*Introductions*

Welcome back to another school year!  The College and Career Center (CCC)
exists to serve our students in their post-secondary endeavors (Community
College, 4-Year Universities, Technical Schools, Work Force, Gap Year
Options, Etc.).  We run workshops out of our department in D-221, host
in-class presentations, meet with parents, and support our students through
one-on-one/group appointments.

We have attached a full CCC Contact List to this e-mail but we wanted to
highlight some of our new faces in the CCC:

*Jennifer Hammond* (jenniferhammond at berkeley.net
<jenniferhammond at berkeley.net?subject=>)

is our new College Advisor (AC, CAS, CEC, HB, & SEIP) this year.  Before
becoming a counselor, she taught English and social studies at the middle
school level and Peer Resources at the high school level.  It is in
training peer counselors and restorative justice leaders in this role that
prompted Jennifer to pursue school counseling.  As part of her program,
Jennifer completed an internship in school psychology at Emery High and
most recently, in our office of On-Campus Intervention (OCI), here at
Berkeley High, last year.  Raised in London, England, by a French mother
and American father, Jennifer found her way to Berkeley, California by way
of Camp Tawonga, where she spent all her college summers and discovered a
passion for working with youth.  In her spare time, Jennifer enjoys hanging
out with her rambunctious kids (7 and 9), cooking French food, watching
Warriors games, and practicing lots of yoga.  Jennifer brings a wealth of
experience to the CCC and her alma maters include Wesleyan University, Long
Beach State, San Jose State, and Saint Mary's College of California.

*Gabriela Diaz* (Undergraduate Counseling Intern)

Hi, my name is Gabriela Diaz, but everyone calls me Gaby.  I am 24 years
old and I am currently finishing up my bachelor’s degree in sociology at
San Francisco State.  I am so excited to be helping out at the CCC at
Berkeley High this year as I hope to work in this type of field after
graduation.  I can’t wait to meet all of you, so feel free to stop by and
say hi!

*Addison Fonseca* (Graduate Counseling Intern)

Hi all! My name is Addison Fonseca (addisonfonseca at berkeley.net
<addisonfonseca at berkeley.net?subject=>) and I’ll be an intern from Saint
Mary’s college, working in the College and Career Center with David An.  I
think the role of a school counselor is really great because it has the
ability to empower students by supporting them in learning their strengths
and abilities.  Outside of school and work I like to rock climb and eat
burritos.  I cannot wait to meet, get to know, and learn from the
counseling team at BHS!

*College Info Night*

*September 10th, 6:30 - 8:30pm*

BHS Library

Mark your calendars for our annual College Info Night for Senior Families!

 Come and learn about all the resources provided for you by the CCC at
Berkeley High School.  You can expect to hear about dates and deadlines,
colleges coming to visit the CCC, college essay readers, testing resources,
financial aid, and application workshops and support for UCs, CSUs, private
colleges, and community colleges.  Please arrive early so we can get
started right on time!

*Local College Fairs to Attend*

On *September 9th at 7pm*, at the InterContinental Mark Hopkins Hotel in
San Francisco, there is a College Fair featuring the following schools:

Claremont McKenna College

Colorado College

Connecticut College

Grinnell College

Haverford College

Kenyon College

Macalester College

Sarah Lawrence College

Click here
<https://8ofthebestcolleges.org/student-programs/fall/sanfrancisco-ca/> to
register if your student is interested in any of the colleges listed above.

On *September 19th from 7-9pm*, there is a visual and performing arts
college fair in Santa Clara.

Click here
<https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/pva/san-francisco-performing-and-visual-arts-college-fair/>
to register if your student is interested in pursuing visual or performing
arts in college! See the extensive list of participating colleges here
<https://hub.nacacnet.org/CollegeFairDirectory?id=a0k1P0000114ifiQAA&_ga=2.204731991.655386176.1566412107-1883015356.1566412107>
.

On *October 6th from 1-4pm*, there is a STEM college fair in Santa Clara.

Click here
<https://www.nacacfairs.org/attend/stem-college-and-career-fairs/silicon-valley-stem-college-and-career-fair/>
to register if your student is interested in pursuing fields in Science,
Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). See the extensive list of
participating colleges here
<https://hub.nacacnet.org/CollegeFairDirectory?id=a0k1P000013DNWbQAO&_ga=2.264960328.655386176.1566412107-1883015356.1566412107>
.

Looking ahead...

*Financial Aid Information Night*

*Thursday, October 10th, 2019*

6:30 - 8:30pm

BHS Library

*Cash 4 College FAFSA Workshop*

*Thursday, October 17th, 2019*

6:30 - 8:30pm

College & Career Center (CCC)

*Useful CCC Links:*

College &Career Center Resources:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/college-career-guide/
<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/college-career-guide/>

College & Career Calendar:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/college-and-career-center-calendar/
<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/college-and-career-center-calendar/>

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Jenny Fosket, and Chaghig Walker are the parent-volunteer
facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to
them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS Etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2019-2020 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1920
<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/BerkeleyUSDCalendar-K12-2019-20-v6.pdf>

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*.  The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.