[BHS Etree] PTSA: Day of Action in Sacramento, May 22 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed May 8 16:57:56 PDT 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Mimi Pulich mimipulich at yahoo.com<mailto:mimipulich at yahoo.com>

On Wednesday, May 22nd there will be a Statewide Day of Action in Sacramento to fight for more funding for public education in our state. Thousands of teachers, classified staff, parents, families and community members will converge on Sacramento to call upon our legislators to take action to change California's shameful place as 46th in the nation in per pupil funding. As the state with the highest level of wealth in our country, and one that is the 5th largest economy in the world, California must do better, and citizens must push our legislature to address this crisis.

BFT is organizing buses<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaBmIxpzXWaD26PIZWPrvHpSkslCky83-X-xt6a_MVCHCIVg/viewform> for this event and we welcome parents, families, and community members to join us on these buses. Please spread the word and encourage families at your site to join us.

In Berkeley, we are at risk of losing dozens of excellent teachers and staff if we cannot provide a meaningful increase in compensation, and we need to provide more classroom supports for our Full Inclusion model. State action to provide more base funding to districts is key to this challenge, and a great reason for all of us to head to Sacramento on May 22nd. In addition, multiple studies have shown that districts need more funding in order to expedite progress on closing equity gaps.

This day of action is being organized by the California Federation of Teachers (CFT), the California Teachers Association (CTA) and a grassroots group called California Educators Rising. This is historic collaboration among these groups, and something we should all support in the interests of our children and students. By attending we show that parents, teachers, classified staff and citizens demand that California create a plan to return to being one of the best public education systems in our country.

A tentative schedule for the day is included at the end of this email. BFT will be providing buses at 10:30 a.m., 2 pm and 2:45 p.m. leaving from various locations in Berkeley. You can sign up to join one of our buses using this link.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaBmIxpzXWaD26PIZWPrvHpSkslCky83-X-xt6a_MVCHCIVg/viewform>  All are welcome on our buses as long as they have signed up<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaBmIxpzXWaD26PIZWPrvHpSkslCky83-X-xt6a_MVCHCIVg/viewform> in advance.

We encourage you to bring your children with you on May 22nd and to make this a family affair. Students are the most impacted by the inadequate funding of schools in California.

BFT does not believe that any schools will be closed on May 22nd. At all sites staff are collaborating to make a plan for 5/22. BUSD is allowing teachers to use Personal Leave to go to Sacramento on 5/22, so principals are able to know in advance who will be absent, and plan for the day.

We hope you can join us on May 22nd. Please do not hesitate to send us any questions.

Thank you for anything you can do to spread the word about this important Day of Action!

Cathy Campbell, BFT President
Matt Meyer, BFT Vice-President

Tentative Schedule for May 22nd:
1pm: Rally at the California Charter School Association office; Some lobby visits with legislators
2pm: March to the Capitol
3pm: Group Photo at the Capitol Rotunda
4pm: Music
5pm: Rally!

Nicole Chee, Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2018-2019 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1819
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe (The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.) If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the Etree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net<http://bhs-owner@lmi.net/>.