[BHS Etree] BHSDG: February Newsletter

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sat Feb 16 18:11:53 PST 2019

Please do not reply to this email,contact Christine Staples:
christineannestaples at gmail.com <christineannestaples at gmail.com?subject=>

*Berkeley High School Development Group (BHSDG) **is an all-volunteer,
nonprofit foundation run by a group of parents and students, whose sole
mission is to strengthen the educational experience of every Berkeley High
School Student. To learn more about us, please scroll down to the bottom of
the page, or visit our website: **http://bhsdg.org/wp/*
<http://bhsdg.org/wp/>

*BHSDG FEBRUARY NEWS AND UPDATES*

*2019 Partners Luncheon:*  Join us for a conversation with *Michael Lewis*,
author of the new bestseller The Fifth Risk, as well as Moneyball, The Big
Short, The Blind Side, (and yes, a BHS parent!) with BHS parent Claire
Ferrari,*Tuesday, March 19th* at Revival Bar and Kitchen. The event will
include a delicious three course meal, wine, and plenty of great
schmoozing. Buy tickets here:
https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4067894 or visit our website for
more information:http://bhsdg.org/wp/

*Good Eggs Fundraiser: *Starting February 25th and continuing through the
months of March and April, Good Eggs online grocery store will donate 5% of
your order back to BHSDG. If you are a new customer they will also take $15
off your first order. (If 20 new customers sign up, they’ll donate an
additional $500 to us.) Delivery free on orders $60 or more. Order here:
http://schools.goodeggs.com/ and use BHSDG19 as your school code. Positive
reports from BHS parents who shopped with Good Eggs have included remarks
like “super convenient windows on delivery and high quality products” and
“I really appreciate the reusable packaging - they took back the ice packs
and delivery box on the spot!”

*HIGHLIGHTS OF GRANTS APPROVED IN FEBRUARY:* For the month of February, the
Development Group allocated over *$6,830* in grants. Highlights include:

*Field Trip for U9 Students to Destiny Arts - $850*

Tickets for 75 ninth grade students, plus chaperones, to attend a theater
and dance production.

*African American Storytelling Festival - $500*

In celebration of the 50th anniversary of the African American Studies
Department, and in partnership with the Berkeley Public Schools Fund, this
grant will help pay for storytellers to share varied oral traditions with
around 800 BHS students.

*CA Language Teachers Conference - $1,305*

In preparation for the new CA State language standards, this grant will pay
for 3 teachers to attend a training and conference. Attendees will use the
train-the-trainer model to share with the rest of the World Languages
department.

*Striving for Zero Waste - $4,150*

So that BHS can fully participate in BUSD’s new sustainability plan, this
grant will pay for recycling carts, supplies, leadership, training, and
speakers for the BHS Green Team and their staff advisor to take on the task
of redirecting materials from a landfill destination to composting and
recycling.

*Who and What is Berkeley High School Development Group? The BHSDG *is a
group of parent and student volunteers; our mission is to strengthen the
educational experience of every Berkeley High School student. We strive for
equity. We fund grants which benefit our school community and raise the
funds to support this work. We meet on the first Monday of each month
(rescheduled as needed to accomodate holidays and school breaks) from
September through June, consider grant proposals and work on ways to raise
the funds to support them. We are a registered nonprofit 501(c)(3)
organisation; all donations to the BHSDG are tax deductible.* Our next
board meeting will be: Monday, March 4th from 7:00-9:00 in the College
Career Center. Visitors and new members are welcome!*

In a typical year, BHSDG receives around $500,000 in donations; $250K in
gifts to the general fund, and $250K in “restricted” funds (gifts
specifically designated for a learning community or program - like AC,
BIHS, Science, Universal 9th Grade, Band and Orchestra, e.g.) Most of our
donations come from BHS community members - like you!

The Development Group accepts grant proposals from all Berkeley High School
(BHS), Berkeley Technology Academy (BTA), and Independent Studies (IS)
teachers, students, and staff on a monthly basis. (Deadline: 15th of each
month for consideration at the next Board meeting.) *Students and Staff -
if you have a great idea, submit a grant proposal!*

*To learn more about BHSDG, or to make a donation,* please visit our
webpage at http://bhsdg.org/wp/

*This year’s BHSDG Board:* Rosa Luevano and Jessica Hilton, Co-Presidents.
Jennifer Morgan, V.P. Colleen Burns and Nishat Sheikh, Student Reps. Lynne
Yee, Treasurer. Christopher Cherney, Secretary. Catherine Betts; Robin
Claire Barnes; Erin Branagan; Angel Ciangi; Laurel Coates; Lisa Craypo; Deb
Durant; Edward Dua; Michelle Ferrari; Stephen Paik; Sarah Rose; Anne
Schonfield; Christine Staples; Julie Weitz; and Orlando Williams

_____________________________

Nicole Chee, Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket, and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2018-2019 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1819

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe*. The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom
of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net?subject=>.

<bhs-request at lmi.net?subject=> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*