[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Feb. 6 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Feb 6 17:14:57 PST 2019

PLEASE do not reply to this email; announcements are reviewed in the BHS Main Office by Vice Principal Tammy Rose bhsmorningannouncements at berkeley.net<mailto:bhsmorningannouncements at berkeley.net>

Juniors, Class of 2020:  Students Rising Above Program

You are invited to an information meeting about a mentoring program for college and career choices called Students Rising Above.  Check out the program and eligibility in the flyer below.

Come to the CCC on Thursday, February 14th at lunch to meet Rose Allen, College & Career Advisor, from Students Rising Above. Rose Allen can tell you more about the program and how to apply by March 4, 2019.  Apply here: Here is the application link: https://app.smarterselect.com/programs/50451-Students-Rising-Above It can also be found on the menu at the top of our website at studentsrisingabove.org<http://studentsrisingabove.org/>

DANCERS, come out and audition for NEXT YEAR'S Dance Production class. We welcome ALL kinds of dancers, but you must be a sophomore or junior to audition. Workshops start TOMORROW (Thursday, February 7), and run during lunch and after school, 3:30 - 5pm in the A Building dance studio. The audition is next Wednesday, February 13. Questions? Come see Ms. Carr in the A Building!

Talent Show: “Showcasing the Creativity, Intelligence, and Talent of Black Youth”

TALENT SHOW – PRIZES 1ST – $500.00, 2ND – 250.00, 3RD – 125.00

ALL ARE INVITED TO ATTEND THIS CELEBRATION AND SUPPORT OUR YOUTH

Wednesday, February 20th; 6:00 PM – 8:30 PM in the Little Theater

Thinking about taking Creative Arts or IB Art next year?  Attend a lunch meeting on Tuesday, February 12th in Ms. D'Adamo's classroom, A104, to find out more about these exciting classes!

Talent Show auditions are February 12-13 and February 19-20 during lunch and after school. The Junior Class Leadership Team is looking for singers, dancers, bands and performers of all styles for the Talent Show in mid-March. The sign-up sheet if outside of the Leadership Office in the cafeteria. If you have any questions, feel free to email Mr. V or anyone on Junior Class Leadership.

Little Theater Film-screening of Loving! Check our booth out at the club fair this Friday 1st - 3rd period  and get a really sweet deal for you and a friend to go to our movie screening! The multicultural student association is hosting a their first public event ever in the little theater- a movie screening! The movie is based on the true story of Richard and Mildred, Loving. The Lovings were an interracial couple living in Virginia during Jim Crow. Their marriage, and arrest for violating miscegenation laws, caused a legal battle that led to the U.S. Supreme Court decision that legalized interracial marriage in the US.

Hot beverages and desserts will be served at intermission. As usual students and faculty get in at an reduced price!

Bring your significant others, friends, and family for this powerful screening! Make sure to pass on the word and the EVITE  to anyone you think would be interested!!!!!!!!

Check our booth out at the club fair this Friday 1st - 3rd period  and get a really sweet deal for you and a friend to go to our movie screening!

To RSVP please click here- RSVP FOR "LOVING"<http://evite.me/Bf41MqM31F>.  To watch a trailer click here- Trailer<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33g-ZHBQdNU>

Hope to see you there!

Sakai, Japan, is Berkeley's oldest sister city, and the Berkeley-Sakai Sister City Association is looking for families to host 1 or 2 Japanese students next summer from July 26 to July 31.  We are also looking for students who would be interested in participating in a student exchange to Sakai and other parts of Japan in July 2020. If you are interested in hosting and/or going to Sakai, please visit our website at www.berkeley-sakai.org<http://www.berkeley-sakai.org/> and fill out an Interest Form.  We would also like to invite you to our Annual Dinner on Friday, March 8, 2019 from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. at the Berkeley Methodist United Church.  Please join us and find out more about our student exchange program!

Come out to support the Berkeley High Women Basketball team this Wednesday night at 5:30 pm in the Donahue Gym. Cheer on the graduating Class of 2019 Yellow Jackets at senior night and the last home game before playoffs begin. See you there on Wednesday.

Twilight Basketball 3on3 Twilight basketball is open for registration.  Please share this information with your students, parents, E-tree and in your morning announcements.  The league is Free for all Berkeley students!! The season is starting in a couple of weeks. Submit registration forms to YAP, 1730 Oregon St.

Happy Chinese New Year! Gung Hay Fat Choy!  The Berkeley High Mandarin program is pleased host a Chinese Culture Fair at the EAST GALLERY on Friday, February 8th from 8:45 am to 11:30 am. There will be awesome activities, delicious food, and it is all FREE! Please come with your class and get ready to have a good time!

The Jacket~Black History Month Edition, due date extension

The Jacket Newspaper is looking for submissions from the BHS community to be included in the Black History Month special edition Jacket. Submissions can be illustrations, photos, quotes, poems, and other writing and visual art samples on black history about the black experience in this country ~ Due February 10th, and anyone with questions can contact dylandelancie at students.berkeley.net<mailto:dylandelancie at students.berkeley.net>.

City of Joy Screening

Join us for a screening of the award-winning documentary film CITY OF JOY and talk back with Eve and Christine on February 13 in Oakland, CA at the Grand Lake Theatre.  CITY OF JOY<http://action.vday.org/site/R?i=rkmNA_nW-CThXsnxaFuDQg>, directed by first-time director Madeleine Gavin, follows the first class of women at a revolutionary leadership center in eastern Congo called City of Joy<http://action.vday.org/site/R?i=6SQ3XsDoX0Mfwu9vRbMYhA>, from which the film derives its title, and weaves their journey as burgeoning leaders with that of the center's founders (a devout Congolese doctor Dr. Denis Mukwege (2018 Nobel Peace Prize winner), women's rights activist Christine Schuler-Deschryver (Director of City of Joy and V-Day Congo) and radical feminist Eve Ensler (author of The Vagina Monologues and Founder of V-Day/One Billion Rising) - three individuals who imagined a place where women who have suffered horrific rape and abuse can heal and become powerful voices of change for their country. A story about the profound resilience of the human spirit, CITY OF JOY witnesses Congolese women's fierce will to reclaim hope, even when so much of what was meaningful to them has been stripped away.

OAKLAND – WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13 $5 Tickets. To purchase tix and for info, visit https://turningpaintopower.eventbrite.com<http://action.vday.org/site/R?i=3nJo1hhFTOeRDm0jri2rAA>

Thank you!

--
Tammy Rose
Vice Principal, Berkeley High School

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2018-2019 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1819
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe. The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.