[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Spirit Week / Red and Gold Day, Oct. 19 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Oct 18 14:55:36 PDT 2018

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

Hello BHS Families:

We have had fun and positive Unity Week so far.  In particular, yesterday's
Unity Assembly represented some of the best of what BHS can be.  Big
shout-out to John V. and the student leadership team for planning that for
all of us! My personal highlights included the LEGO film made by our
students, the staff and student dances, and the powerful speech about
sexual assault and affirmative consent by our Senior Class President.

As we prepare for Red and Gold Day tomorrow, I have a few simple reminders
and requests.

Most students are excited about tomorrow, to dress up in red and gold, and
have fun with day.  However, it is without a doubt one of the most
challenging days of the year to manage on campus, and I want to outline a
few of our concerns and consequences.

· We expect all the parts of the body that are normally covered at school
be covered on Red and Gold Day.

· Students in any grade who are intoxicated or under the influence of any
drug will be suspended.  Additional consequences could include mandatory
counseling and/or not being able to participate in upcoming school events.

· The admin team will also support any teacher's decision not to write a
letter of recommendation for a student who is under the influence at school
tomorrow, and any suspension will be reported in the college application
process where applicable, as per our policy, by our academic counseling
team.  We do encourage you checking in with your students tonight and
tomorrow before school to make sure they are staying safe and following our
school rules.

Finally, we are aware that some students are planning to attend a party
<https://www.thenewparish.com/e/rally-day--51236219913/> at a venue in
Oakland tomorrow night.  Please know that this event is not sponsored in
any way by BHS, and we cannot vouch for the safety and security at that
event.

We all have been working hard to change the culture of this day to be more
positive, unifying and safe.  Yesterday's assembly was a great step in that
direction. Thank you, parents and guardians, for your support in all its
various forms - volunteering on campus this week, speaking with your
students, and reading this message!

Ms. Schweng and the Admin Team

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket, and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at *bhs-owner at lmi.net <bhs-owner at lmi.net>*.

BHS etree archives: *http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
<http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/>*

BHS website: *http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/
<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/>*

BUSD 2018-2019 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar1819

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the
list.  If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message,
or put your email address at the end of this URL:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/, or contact the e-tree moderators
at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

To *subscribe*to the etree, send an email to *bhs-request at lmi.net
<bhs-request at lmi.net>*with one word only in the subject line: *subscribe*