[BHS Etree] FRESHMEN: Orientation/Registration and Parent Coffee, Aug. 22 (Wed)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Aug 21 07:02:50 PDT 2018

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Lisa Sibony lisasibony at berkeley.net<mailto:lisasibony at berkeley.net>

Incoming 9th graders should report to the BHS Donahue Gym by 8:00 am for the start of their orientation and registration session. Orientation will consist of an assembly, small group sessions facilitated by Link Leaders, and a campus tour. Link Leaders are trained students who will guide a group of 9th graders through orientation until the end of the school year.

When students attend registration, they should bring with them the following:

·         Completed Emergency Card or Have It Filled Out Online

1. Preferred: Have their parents/guardians activate/access their Illuminate Home Connect account (parent portal) today! Parents/guardians can complete the online emergency card form that will post to active BHS parent Illuminate accounts soon. More here.<https://www.berkeleyschools.net/2018/08/complete-your-students-emergency-card-online/>

2. Use this link<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxP1J3Nz2IFnV09TUmI4SkZweTg/view> to print out the emergency card and turn in at orientation. Download the form, print, and fill it out by hand or fill it out on a computer using Adobe Acrobat, then print.

NOTE: 9th Grade Students' Health Forms should have been turned in with registration packet unless there have been changes.

·         A lock for their locker (we suggest combination locks)

·         Money for ASB (Associated Student Body) Leadership sticker and Jacket Pride gear. More information can be found at http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership

·         Their personal cell phone number and the password to their school email to sign up for emergency text message notifications. As part of our school safety plan, we will be implementing an emergency text message notification system for students to receive critical information in the event of a schoolwide emergency. We strongly recommend that all students opt-in to this service.

·         Please send a bag lunch with your student as they will be at BHS through the lunch hour.

·         If your student is interested, BHS PE Department shirts and shorts ($10 each) and sweats ($15) will be for sale. Please note that students are not required to wear BHS issued items to PE classes, any type of athletic wear is acceptable.

Freshman Parent Coffee on Wednesday at 8:00 am: BHS Food Court

Contact Jana Jandra at janajandra at berkeley.net<mailto:janajandra at berkeley.net>

The Berkeley High School Parent Teacher and Student Association (PTSA) is hosting a U9 parents meet and greet with coffee, pastries, and an information session on Wednesday morning, August 22nd starting at 8:00 am. After you drop off your child for freshman orientation, join us in the BHS Food Court, which extends off the Administration building on the corner of Allston and Milvia.

There will be a few short presentations and several information tables.

Introductions:

Tonia Coleman, U9 Vice-Principal

Linh Le and Maribel Quiroz, U9 Counselors

Presenters:

Attendance Office Staff: How do I clear an absence? What do I do if my student is sick and staying home?

Health Center: What Services do they offer? How does my student access the services?

Athletics: What Sports do you have at BHS? How do I register my child to play a sport?

Volunteer Coordinator: How do I volunteer at BHS?

Front Office: What do I do if I need to pick up my student from school for an appointment?

Tiffany Sutherland: PE Waivers, How do they work?

Information Tables:

Parent Resource Center

BHS Athletics

BHS PTSA

Berkeley High School Development Group

Berkeley Public Schools Fund

Y-Scholars

YAP: Leadership & Life Academy program

For Students Unable to Attend Registration

On the first day of school (Monday, August 27), please check in at the counseling office in the Admin building, starting at 8:30 am, where students can get a printed copy of their schedule. In the Student Daily Bulletin and during the morning announcements during the first week of school we will announce Textbook Room hours, share information about photo ID make-ups, and locker assignments.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2018-2019 Calendar: http://www.bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Calendar-K12-1819.pdf
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe (The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.) If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.