[BHS Etree] VOLUNTEERS: Computer Programming Volunteers Needed

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Apr 23 20:31:03 PDT 2018

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Ira Holston,
iraholston at berkeley.net

Dear parents, guardians and alumni,

Did you know computer science majors can earn 40% more than the college
average? Or that there are currently over 500,000 open computer science
positions without qualified talent to fill them? Berkeley High has an
exciting opportunity to teach computer science to our students by
partnering again with TEALS (Technology Education and Literacy in Schools).
Technology is transforming the world around us and having a computer
science education is key to our students being ready for the future job
market. Berkeley High has a growing number of Computer Science course
offerings and is part of the only 40% of U.S. high schools that currently
offer ANY computer science. We are hoping to increase contacts with
industry and enhance BHS computer science education by renewing our
partnership with TEALS.

TEALS (http://www.tealsk12.org) is a program supported by Microsoft
Philanthropies that recruits, mentors, and places passionate technology
professionals into high school classrooms as volunteer instructors. These
volunteers bring subject matter expertise and will join in a team-teaching
model. TEALS provides training for both parties as well as course outlines
based on successful college courses. We applied to partner again with TEALS
after an exciting first year that included working with programmers from
Pixar, Khan Academy, Uber and UC Berkeley. Our application has been
accepted and we will offer two TEALS-aided courses: “Advanced Placement
(AP) Computer Science A (Java)” and “Advanced Placement (AP) Computer
Science Principles.”

As a TEALS partner school, Berkeley High needs volunteers from the computer
science and software engineering fields to team teach these courses with
our teachers. BHS will hold the courses first period (8:27 AM to 9:22 AM)
to permit the volunteers to attend their regular jobs.  Please HELP -- if
you or someone you know works in the computer science or software
engineering field and would be interested in making a difference in our
students’ future success, please contact me at iraholston at berkeley.net. You
can read more about TEALS on their website at http://www.tealsk12.org. I am
excited about this opportunity and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Ira Holston

iraholston at berkeley.net

Computer Science

Berkeley HS

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket, and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*. The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/,
or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*