[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Nov. 13-15

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Nov 15 20:07:37 PST 2017

If you have questions about the announcements in the Student Daily Bulletin, please contact bhsmorningannouncements at berkeley.net<mailto:bhsmorningannouncements at berkeley.net>

Morning Sports Report
The varsity football team lost to San Leandro last weekend in the first round of the NCS Division I playoffs<http://www.maxpreps.com/tournament/ECHnA51oEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/cFU0-p1oEeeT-Oz0u-e-FA/football-fall-17/ncs-les-schwab-tires-football-championships-division-1.htm>. Congratulations to the Football team on a great season filled with long practices since early August, hard work and great Jacket Spirit!

On Wednesday, November 15, at 4 pm at the bleachers by the softball field, there will be a meeting for all girls interested in playing softball in the Spring. You will be provided with information about conditioning and the upcoming season. For more details or questions email Varsity Head Coach Jason Kaneko at Jkcma5 at gmail.com<mailto:Jkcma5 at gmail.com>.

Winter sports actions begins this week<http://westalamedacountyconference.org/public/genie/678/school/3/> as the three boys basketball teams take on Albany High School in scrimmage games on Thursday, November 16, in the Donahue Gym.

If you are interested in a spring sport<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x9eL5h3yZBYVGA1wd-4KJyXQPbqpH0DjJ6tkynbm5Z4/edit> and want more info, please email coaches. Contact info for coaches is available on the BHS website athletics tab. And if you haven't done so already, be sure to register on the Family ID website<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N05Es1zvEyXmA2fSAw6M5WgIj5GezsWsZeIy1rgoqbY/edit> for spring sports.

College Reminders for Seniors
Applications for all University of California<https://admissions.universityofcalifornia.edu/applicant/login.htm> and California State University<https://www2.calstate.edu/apply> campuses are due on November 30. We invite seniors applying to UCs & CSUs to come to the BHS library computer lab after school on Wednesday and Thursday for assistance with UC/CSU applications or any online college applications. And if you want help with your essay questions, qualified adult volunteers who are serving as essay readers can meet with you on a drop-in basis Monday through Thursday at lunch and after school in the College & Career Center.

Finally, happening this week in the CCC: on Tuesday at lunch, the CAP Making Waves Scholarship<https://making-waves.academicworks.com/opportunities/76>; on Wednesday at lunch, the Air Force<https://www.airforce.com/>; on Thursday at lunch, the Berkeley Community Fund<http://berkfund.org/scholarships/>; and on Friday during 4th period, the UC Pre-Med Health Sciences Partnership. Visit the CCC<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/college-career-center/> at lunch for more information on these events.

Club Spotlight
Just can't get enough coding? Have nothing to do during lunch? Come to room H-205 during lunch every Tuesday for the Coding Club. We will do a myriad of things, from making a game to entering a hacking competition. For more information, contact Felix Moses at felixmoses at students.berkeley.net<mailto:felixmoses at students.berkeley.net> or come to room H-205 on Tuesdays during lunch.

SPARK Assembly
On Wednesday, November 15, all 9th graders will go to the Little Theater during their Ethnic Studies/Social Living classes for the annual SPARK assembly. The topics covered during the SPARK assembly - discrimination, harassment, bullying, and their consequences; being an upstander; help and support at Berkeley High, and building a positive school culture - are very important, and we are committed to continuing to examine them throughout the year in our Ethnic Studies/Social Living courses. Presentation materials will be available on the BHS website soon after the assembly.

Moving forward, we will use the momentum from the SPARK assembly and encourage students to get more involved at Berkeley High School, stand up against any form of harassment or violence, and connect this to other events throughout the year. We look forward to this important work, and thank all students and staff for your support.

Announcement from the Health Center
Are you feeling stressed out due to classes, homework, and home life? Join us at The Support Group on Thursday during 4th period in room H-215. Meet others who are going through similar situations and learn techniques to decrease stress and anxiety. There will be snacks so please come by. If you have any questions, stop by the Health Center<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/resources/health-center/> to gain more information. Remember: H215, 4th period on Thursday.

Know-Your-Rights Workshop
There will an immigration forum at 7 pm this Thursday November 16, at Longfellow Middle School. In this forum there will be a Know-Your-Rights Workshop, followed by free legal consultations from immigration attorneys. Please come out and learn about immigration rights! This workshop is sponsored by UC Berkeley's student government organization.

Concert This Friday
You are invited to a one-of-a-kind concert this Friday, November 17th featuring the award-winning BHS Jazz Ensemble<http://bhsjazz.org/> + BHS Chamber Orchestra playing jazz for studio orchestra! Music of Artie Shaw, Charlie Parker, Clare Fischer, Dave Samuels and Chris Walden. Spanning 8 decades and 5 different genres, this concert is going to hit on all cylinders. We hope to see you there on Friday night at 7:00 in the Little Theater. Admission is free for students and BUSD staff.

Saturday School
The next Saturday School<http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/SATURDAY-SCHOOL-flyer-2017-18.pdf> will be held on Saturday, November 18, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 in room M301. Attending this Saturday School will clear up to 6 unverified period absences from October. Students who wish to attend Saturday School must sign up in the Attendance Office before school, during lunch or after school. We can only take up to 30 students per Saturday School.

Holiday Meal
The 2017 Holiday Meal, which will take place on Saturday, December 9, is an annual event where over 250 guests receive food and good cheer from 200+ Berkeley High volunteers. Although some of the guests typically are living without full-time housing, the doors are open to anyone who wants a heartwarming meal. We invite the entire BHS community to get involved in this service event in any or all of these ways:
·  Contribute Funds
·  Contribute Canned Food
·  Contribute Fresh Food (sign up online)
·  Volunteer (link is now open!!! scroll down)
Visit the Holiday Meal page<http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/?page_id=214> on the ASB Leadership website<http://berkeleyschools.net/leadership/> for more information and to sign up to volunteer.

Positive Shout Outs
Have you been waiting for your opportunity to recognize an individual or group for their awesome contributions to our school community? On Friday, November 17, Ms. Schweng will read the morning announcements and share Positive Shout Outs. Be on the lookout for an Email message with a link to the form.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Jenny Fosket and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2017-2017 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the Etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe (The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.) If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/ or contact the e-tree moderators at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.