[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Oct. 3 (Tues)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Oct 3 14:03:35 PDT 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office by Felicia Phillips feliciaphillips at berkeley.net<mailto:feliciaphillips at berkeley.net>

Moment of Silence
On Sunday evening in Las Vegas, more than 50 people died, and hundreds more were injured, in the deadliest mass shooting in our nation's history. Our thoughts are with the victims, the families of those affected, and the people of Las Vegas. At this time, I ask that you join me in a moment of silence as we honor those who lost their lives.

Our principal, Ms. Schweng, will introduce the next announcement.

Statement from Ms. Schweng
Good morning students,

It has been one week since our admin team became aware of the harmful and offensive instagram account that has been at the center of many campus conversations and much anger and emotion these past days. I want to take a moment to speak directly to the students who were harmed by this account: As we have listened to you saying what you need in order to begin to repair the harm that was done and feel secure in your school, over and over again, we have heard you say that you do not want this to be swept under the rug. I want you to know we are hearing you and that we take racism, discrimination, and the harm caused by incidents like this seriously. We have taken some concrete steps in the past week to begin the restorative process, and will share more action steps in the days and weeks to come, but I wanted to acknowledge what we have heard so far, and say that as your principal, I hear you, I care about you, and that I stand with you against racist and harmful acts that take away your ability to feel safe in your classrooms. We have a lot of work to do.

I'm going to hand this over right now to BIHS teacher leader Ross Parker, who has a statement that he would like to share on behalf of BIHS.

Statement from Mr. Parker
My name is the Ross Parker, I am a team lead for Berkeley International High School. There are events that have happened in this school and in our community that are unacceptable. We know that many students involved are from our community. Being silent about this is not an option.

In light of the harm done to the whole Berkeley High community, we must reach out to you with this message. If we ignore racist, ableist, anti-Semitic or other hateful actions happening in our community, it appears that we condone those actions; we are contributing to a system which currently (and historically) alienates people of color, Jewish people, and people with different abilities.

So let us be loud and clear; we will not tolerate hate.

As a community we must continue to embrace diversity and reject violence in all its forms. We must double down on our commitment to support and educate all students by working actively to provide a safe space for them to grow. Finally, we, as leaders and teachers, must accept responsibility for our ability to create spaces and systems that either perpetuate or fight against hate.

Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

PSAT Reminders
This Wednesday, Oct. 4, is the last day to register for the October 14 PSAT. You can go to the Jacket Stadium ticket office at lunch or after school to register. The cost is $25. Questions, contact BennetteWilliams at berkeley.net<mailto:BennetteWilliams at berkeley.net>

Attention Seniors!
Achievers will be on campus today and tomorrow in the courtyard, near the Jacket Gym, to take your cap and gown orders. Don't delay; order your graduation gear today!

If you haven't scheduled a date to take your senior portrait, visit 2018senior.com<http://2018senior.com/> to pick a day and time. New dates in October and November have been added. Remember, you can take a Senior Portrait for the yearbook at no charge, and you can choose to purchase portraits later.

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2017-2017 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe (The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.) If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/