[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulleting, Sep. 27-29 (Wed-Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Sun Oct 1 19:47:56 PDT 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office by Felicia Phillips,
feliciaphillips at berkeley.net

[Please note: some of these announcements may refer to events that have
passed; we include them because we know may of you may wish to know what
announcements your students have been hearing.  – mods]

Here are the morning announcements for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday,
September 27, 28 and 29.

*Message from the BHS Administrative Team*

Our administrative team was recently made aware of the existence of a
social media account generated by a small group of BHS students that
contained deeply discriminatory, racist, and offensive content. *We want to
be clear that posting, sharing, and supporting messages that express
racism, sexism, anti-semitism, xenophobia, and ableism is unacceptable;
such behavior deeply harms our community and our student code of conduct,
and there are consequences to those actions.*

We will continue to meet with student groups, and encourage you to reach
out for support from your teachers, administrators, counselors, safety
officers, and other adults on campus who you trust if you ever feel unsafe
or concerned about something on social media.

*Special Issue of the Jacket*

The *Jacket* newspaper is looking for submissions for the upcoming issue
celebrating Chicanx & Latinx heritage. Please send illustrations, photos,
blurbs, poems, and other writing and visual art samples to Nina Price at
nina.price654 at gmail.comor bring them to room G108B by *Monday, October 2nd.*

*Vagina Monologues*

Anyone who identifies as a woman or girl is encouraged to audition for the
2017-2018 Production of The Vagina Monologues. We're looking for talented
storytellers, singers, and dancers. No prior acting experience is
necessary! Auditions will be held *October 11-13* (Wednesday through
Friday) at lunch and after school in Room C233. Please reserve your
audition time in advance. There is a sign-up sheet posted on the A building
bulletin board.

*Back to School Night*

Students: Make sure your parents and guardians know that Back to School
Night at Berkeley High is this Thursday, September 28. During Back to
School Night, they will follow your daily schedule, traveling from class to
class, meeting your teachers, and hearing about the curriculum and
expectations for the year. Don’t forget to share your schedule with them
(including the room numbers). Zero period for your parents starts Thursday
at 6:45 pm, and 1st period starts at 7:00.

*Student ID Card Pickup*

Students: If you took your ID card photo during Registration Week or on
Makeup Day, you can pick up your ID card any day this week before school,
during lunch or after school from the main office, located on the first
floor of the D Building. All students must have carry their current-year
student ID while on campus.

*Lockers*

Students who would like to use a locker on campus should visit the OCI,
room H-104, after school to complete an application. Students who already
have a locker must place a lock on it by Friday, September 29. If you do
not have a lock on your locker by that date, then it will be considered
unoccupied and will be reassigned.

*Financial Aid Workshop*

Attention Seniors! There will be a College Financial Aid Information Night
for Parents and Guardians on *Thursday, October 5th, i*n the Library at
6:30pm. Please check your student emails for additional deadlines and
reminders for the college application process.

*Friday Positive Shoutouts*

It’s been a difficult week on our campus, but we thought it was important
to give folks a chance to say something uplifting.

·       Christian wants to shout out Sahand Salari for always being so kind
and caring to all of your peers and always being so positive and uplifting.

·       From David Luu to Travis Dennis: Travis, you're awesome. I see you
spreading positivity and smiles all day long! Keep it up! You're one of the
most consistent positive forces I see!

·       Ms. Warren wants to shout out Roderick and students who played
music in the C building last night between classes during Back to School
Night.

·       Kira wants to shout out the BHS community: Thank you to all the
people that are putting time and effort into mending the broken hearts of
many and addressing what needs to be done. I know it feels like no one is
on your side, but if you are at your low you can always call on me; I will
be there to help lift you up!

·       Finally, teacher Devon Brewer wants to shout out honest
students: Many students have turned in wallets, ATM cards and phones that
they have found around campus. Thank you for taking the time to return
people's lost belongings. It's a small way we can all take care of each
other!

*Concert in the Courtyard*

Berkeley-native Marteen is performing in person at Berkeley High Friday at
lunch in the courtyard. You can hear him sing his single Sriracha as well
as a few other hot tracks. Stay spicy Berkeley High!

*Sports Report*

To all girls interested in playing girls basketball at Berkeley High
School: We are having open gym and conditioning. It doesn’t matter what
your skill level is, come out and have fun. Monday and Wednesday: Open Gym
4:30-6pm in the Jacket Gym. Tuesday and Thursday: Conditioning (meet on the
Track) 4:30-6pm, and Friday: weight training 4:30-6pm in the Weight Room.
If you have any questions, fill free to email Coach Michael Woolridge at
immrwoo at yahoo.com.

Thursday, the water polo teams host Lick-Wilmerding in the Jacket Pool, the
girls field hockey teams travel to Redwood High School, the girls golf team
tees off against San Leandro High School at Tilden Park, the girls
volleyball teams head to Tennyson High School, and the girls tennis team
competes on the road against San Lorenzo High School.

Friday, the Jacket football teams continue their home stand with games
against Alameda High School. The JV game begins at 5:00 and the varsity
game starts at 7:30. Admission is charged for Football games, but students
with ASB stickers get in for free.

*Saturday School*

The first Saturday School session will be held on Saturday, September 30,
from 9:00 a.m. until 12:00 in room M301. Attending Saturday School will
clear up to 6 unverified period absences from August and September.
Students who wish to attend Saturday School must sign up in the Attendance
Office before school, during lunch or after school. We can only take up to
30 students per Saturday School.

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators
of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at
bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*. The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*