[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Offensive Social Media Posts

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 26 21:25:15 PDT 2017

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

Dear BHS Families:

In the interest of being proactive and transparent, we want to let you know that our administrative team was recently made aware of the existence of a social media account generated by a small group of BHS students that contained deeply offensive and discriminatory content. The account was apparently started over the summer, and posts continued at least through the first week of school. The administration was made aware of this account last night and immediately began reviewing content, with the investigation continuing throughout the day today.

Our administrative team is currently conducting a full investigation into this matter and is prepared to use a combination of restorative practices, appropriate discipline, and a variety of student supports with the students involved. We also want to clearly communicate to all students and families that expressions of racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-semitism, ableism and other forms of bullying and intolerance are not ever to be tolerated nor taken lightly as jokes. Such language and images are harmful and not welcome in any form, on any platform, that connects to our campus and our kids.

As part of our investigation, administration made an effort to hear from students who have been affected by this incident to better understand what students need in order to feel safe, supported, and heard. Students have been instrumental in helping us better understand the situation and next steps needed to restore our community and we will continue to meet with various student groups as we go forward.

Please know that we will make every effort to ensure a safe, respectful, and welcoming environment for all students. We also want to encourage parents/guardians to talk with family members about the use and misuse of social media, the importance of being extremely conscious and thoughtful about what is posted and shared, and the difference between the intent of a message and the impact it has on others.

Thank you for reading this,

Erin Schweng, on behalf of the BHS administrative team

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD 2017-2017 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

To unsubscribe from the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: unsubscribe (The request must be sent from the email address that is subscribed to the list.) If that does not work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/