[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Student Action, Sep. 15 (Fri)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Sep 14 19:46:24 PDT 2017

PLEASE do not reply to this email.

Good evening BHS Families,

I’m writing to let you know that over the past several days, the admin team
has been in communication with the student group CLUV (Chicano Latino
United Voices) as they and other allies are working on plans for an
action *tomorrow,
September 15th* to protest the recent presidential decision about DACA.

CLUV is planning a demonstration during *3rd period, Friday*, in which
students and staff will be invited to leave classrooms and join them on the
courtyard, at which time they will be given directions about how to safely
join in a human chain around the school to show support for undocumented
students.

Their original plan included 2nd period as well, and we worked with the
students to scale back to one period only.  We are feeling the tension of
keeping students safe and in classes, while also appreciating the need that
many feel for an outlet to demonstrate and respond to the actions of this
presidential administration.  It is our preference that students stay on or
near campus as they protest. Rather than leaving for the day as has
happened in the past, we would anticipate that students will be back and in
classes for the remainder of Friday afternoon.

As for practicalities, the admin team has identified teachers on every
floor of every building who will stay behind and welcome any students who
choose not to participate.  We know from experience that not all students
or teachers will choose to join in the action, and that is okay.  Students
who do choose to participate in this one-period demonstration can be marked
absent tomorrow for third period.  We are not able to excuse absences for
this event, and ask students to consider that when making a choice about
whether to join in the demonstration tomorrow.

We understand that any sort of walkout and missed class raises anxiety and
concern for families. My commitment to you is to communicate about what we
know and how we make plans in these kinds of situations to support students
and staff. Teaching and learning in our current political reality is most
certainly not business as usual; there are helicopters overhead for the
events tonight at UC Berkeley as I write this. These are not easy or simple
things to manage, and I speak on behalf of the entire admin team when I say
that we are proud of our students’ passion and mindful of our
responsibility to guide them and keep them safe.

Thank you,

Erin, on behalf of the administrative team

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators
of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at
bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD 2017-2018 Calendar: http://bit.ly/BUSDCalendar

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe*. The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.  If that does not
work, visit the URL at the bottom of each message, or put your email
address at the end of this URL:  http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*