[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, May 22 (Mon)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon May 22 13:06:15 PDT 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office, by Felicia Phillips feliciaphillips at berkeley.net<mailto:feliciaphillips at berkeley.net>. For those of you who do not hear the announcements where you are during second period, or if you would like to read them each day, you can find them in the Daily Bulletin section of Powerschool.

Morning Sports Report - Playoff & Championship Edition
Both the varsity baseball and softball teams are competing this week in the first round of the North Coast Section Division I championships. On Tuesday the softball team travels to San Ramon to play California High School at 5:00 pm, and on Wednesday the baseball team travels to Lafayette to play Acalanes High School at 5:00.
________________________________
Spring Football
Spring training for football has begun! All students who are interested in playing football in the fall must attend spring training sessions, which start at 4:30 at Jacket Stadium every day, Monday through Friday. You do not need an athletic packet to participate. Students who have received a fourth quarter progress report must attend after school tutoring before coming to spring training.
________________________________
SBA Testing for Juniors
This week 11th graders will continue taking the Smarter Balanced Assessment, an online test taken by juniors across California. The English Language Arts and Mathematics scores on the SBA will provide an indicator of a student's predicted readiness to take college-level English and mathematics. SBA results are one of several options used by California State University campuses and California Community Colleges to assess student readiness.

We encourage juniors to fill the bubble at the end of the SBA that will allow CSUs and community colleges to receive their SBA results. Your scores may exempt you from the placement tests and you can move directly into college-level courses upon enrollment at these schools. (Please note: The SBA is not a college admissions test, and SBA scores are not connected to the admissions process for CSUs or community colleges.)
________________________________
BHS Safety Committee Panel - May 23
On Tuesday, May 23, from 4:30 pm until 6:00 pm, the BHS Safety Committee will host a panel entitled, "Ensuring a Healthy Non-Toxic Learning Environment at BHS". The featured panelists are experts in the areas of indoor environmental quality, seismic safety, and school facilities. Students, staff and parents are invited to attend.
________________________________
Student Club Workshop
HELLO CLUB LEADERS & STAFF SPONSORS!!! Thank you for all of your efforts to make campus life more enjoyable for our community. We are coming to the end of another school year and your club should be planning the transition to the next set of leaders. Please have your new set of leaders attend the club workshop event on Tuesday, May 23 at lunch. During the workshop, we will address many of the financial issues, club constitutions and registration forms. Our goal is to be as clear as possible with the legal guidelines so that you can run your club as smoothly as possible. Please RSVP with Mr. V for the Tuesday lunchtime Student Club Leaders workshop with Mr. V!
________________________________
College Panel for 9th Graders
Attention 9th Graders!! Are you curious about what your senior year may look like? Have questions about the college application process? Come to the 9th & 10th Grade College Panel to hear from current BHS Seniors on the college process they just went through!This takes place on Wednesday, May 24, during 3rd period in the College & Career Center. You MUST have your 3rd period teacher sign a permission slip to attend. See Ms. Jacobs in the CCC before school or during lunch for a permission slip!!
________________________________
BHS Activism Fair
Students and Staff - Want to learn more about or get involved with the causes you care about! Come to the BHS Activism Fair on Wednesday, May 24 at lunch, 4th, 5th and 6th period at the M-Gym basketball courts! Several outside organizations and student clubs will be there to offer opportunities and inspire you for summer ACTION.
________________________________
Senior Awards Night
On Wednesday evening, May 24, at 6:30 pm in the Little Theater, we will celebrate the Class of 2017 at Senior Awards Night. We will recognize Seniors who have earned scholarships, the Seal of Biliteracy and other awards. This event is sponsored by the College & Career Center and the BHS Counseling Department. For more information, please see Ms. Aguas in the CCC or Mr. Rodriguez in the Counseling Center.
________________________________
Jacket Pride Spring Spirit Week
Fellow Yellowjackets: Your ASB student leadership team is sponsoring Jacket Pride Week May 30 - June 2! Every day next week, you will have opportunities to show school spirit by participating in the theme days and fun activities at lunch. Jacket Pride Week ends on Friday with assemblies in the Donahue Gym. Check out the red and gold flyers around campus or the posters in the Food Court for more details. We're ready to get Bad & Buzzy during Jacket Pride Week!
________________________________
Morning Announcements Schedule
There will be no morning announcements on Tuesday, May 23, Wednesday, May 24, and Tuesday, May 30, due to SBA testing. Please log in to PowerSchool and click on the Daily Bulletin link to stay up to date with important information on the days when there are no morning announcements.
________________________________
NO SCHOOL on Monday, May 29
All Berkeley Unified School District campuses and offices will be close on Monday, May 29, in observance of the Memorial Day holiday. Classes will resume on Tuesday, May 30, the first day of our Spring Spirit Week.
________________________________
This Week's Lunch Menu
Week of May 22
Salad bar and fresh fruit are offered daily.

Monday
Soft Tacos with Beans and Rice
or
Pizza - Pepperoni or Cheese

Tuesday
Roast Pork Creole Wrap with Cucumber Salad
or
Hamburger or Veggie Patty with Cole Slaw

Wednesday
Hot & Sour Drums with Kale with Coconut Vinaigrette
or
Mac & Cheese with Fresh Vegetables

Thursday
Burrito with Arugula Salad
or
BBQ Chicken or Tofu with Cornbread

Friday
Nachos with Beans and Rice
or
Pizza - Pepperoni or Cheese

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net<mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/
BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación: http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy