[BHS Etree] EVENTS: Screening & Discussion of SOLD at Little Theater, Mar. 16 (Thu)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Mon Mar 13 13:01:29 PDT 2017

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Claire Eccles,
claireeccles at students.berkeley.net

On March 16th at the Berkeley High Little Theater, BIHS seniors Claire
Eccles and Marit Frost will be hosting a showing of SOLD, a movie that
illustrates the brutality of child trafficking, which affects millions of
children around the globe every year. There will also be guest speakers,
including a survivor of trafficking from the SHADE project to give a
presentation before the movie, and Alameda County DA Nancy O’Malley, who
will speak about the implications of child trafficking in our own community.

We will be charging adults admission ($5 minimum) so that we can make a
donation to local organizations fighting child trafficking. The event will
start at 2:20 and will take a 15-minute break at 3:30, to allow students to
leave if they would not like to stay for the movie. In all, it will run
until around 5:15. We will also have health center counselors at the
showing as it could be emotionally triggering for some viewers.

Movie Synopsis (as found on the official website) - A young girl, Lakshmi,
leaves her home in a quiet village in the Nepali Himalayas in the
expectation of a job in big city India. However, upon her arrival in
Kolkata, she soon realizes she has been trafficked into a prison brothel,
where she must struggle daily to survive against impossible odds. US
photographer (Gillian Anderson) hears her desperate cries for help and
enlists the help of a local NGO, to spearhead a dangerous mission to rescue
her. Finally, Lakshmi must risk everything for freedom. SOLD is a testament
to the resilience of the human spirit and a clarion call to action.

SOLD is directed by Academy and Emmy award-winner Jeffrey D. Brown,
executive produced by two-time Academy Award winner Emma Thompson, produced
by Jane Charles, co-produced by Katie Mustard, and written by Joseph Kwong
and Jeffrey D. Brown.

A preview of the movie can be found on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruazVETP0w

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.)  If that does not
work, you can use the following URL, either included at the very bottom of
each individual message, or by typing it in the address bar yourself:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/put-your-email@address.here

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-join at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*