[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, March 1 (Wed.)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Mar 1 19:29:58 PST 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office, by Felicia
Phillips _*feliciaphillips at berkeley.net
<mailto:feliciaphillips at berkeley.net>*__._ For those of you who do not
hear the announcements where you are during second period, or if you
would like to read them each day, you can find them in the
Daily Bulletin section of Powerschool.

*Morning Sports Report
*
Tonight the girls varsity basketball team travels to Brentwood to take
on Heritage High School in the semifinals of the NCS Division I
Championship. Go Jackets!

For a recap of winter sports playoff action, including photo galleries,
visit the BHS page on MaxPreps.com.
________________________________

*Special Library Schedule*

There will be special library hours on Thursday, March 2. We will open
at 8:00 a.m. and close at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday. We apologize for the
inconvenience.
______________________________

*This Week's Study & Time Management Tip*

On page 83 of your BHS student organizer, you will find a photo of a
ceramic object created by CAS sophomore Chelsea Brodt. And on page 85
you will find the following tip: Your family, teachers or counselor can
help you manage your tasks.*
*____________________________

*Hip Hop Studies Class for 2017-2018*

Hip Hop Studies and Black Gold courses are having an information session
on Tuesday and Wednesday at lunch in room C-219 for those curious
hip-hop heads on campus. Email Mr. V. for more information.
_______________________________

*Upcoming AP Course Information Meetings*

Students interested in learning more about AP Chemistry should come to
room G-215 during Thursday Mar. 02. There will be AP Biology information
sessions in room G-212 during lunchtime on Thursday and Friday, March 2
and March 3. Please note: you do not need to attend these information
sessions in order to sign up for these AP classes.
________________________________

*Protecting Transgender Students
*
Below is a joint statement from BUSD School Board President Ty Alper and
BUSD Superintendent Dr. Donald Evans:

Last week the President issued an order rescinding federal protections
for transgender students in our nation’s public schools. Our community
should know that this order will have no impact in the Berkeley Unified
School District (BUSD). We are committed to protecting all students,
including transgender students, from discrimination, bullying, and
harassment. In 2013, our School Board passed one of the first policies
in the state to protect transgender students. Moreover, transgender
students in California have the right under state law to use restrooms
and locker rooms that align with their gender identity. State law also
expressly prohibits discrimination in schools on the basis of gender
identity.

We will protect and provide equal rights to our transgender students
whether federal law requires us to or not. We are deeply concerned about
the students in other states who may not be protected, but the federal
order will have no effect in the Berkeley public schools.

Here at Berkeley High School, we have identified several locations for
non-gendered bathrooms and area awaiting installation of proper signage.
We will update everyone as soon as these bathrooms are available to
students.
________________________________
*
Registration for Advanced Placement Exams*

Students currently enrolled in AP classes who intend to take the AP
exams in May, 2017, can register for the exams online beginning Monday,
March 6 at 8 a.m. Registration closes Monday, March 20 at 11:59 p.m. The
fee per exam is $110. Students enrolled in the free/reduced lunch
programs pay $5 per exam. Participation in the lunch program must be
verified by picking up a form in the College and Career Center, having
it signed by the cafeteria manager, and delivering the signed form to
Ms. Williams in C106. Register early as from March 18 through March 20,
there is an additional late fee of $15 per exam. The online website is
www.TotalRegistration.com/AP/050290
<http://www.TotalRegistration.com/AP/050290>. Payment may be made by
credit or debit card.
________________________________

*Join the Jacket Newspaper Staff for 2017-2018*

Join the Jacket newspaper! We are currently looking to hire new staff
for the Business and Copy-Editing Teams. Apps for both positions can be
found on berkeleyhighjacket.com/applications
<http://berkeleyhighjacket.com/applications> and are due on March 17th
________________________________
*
PromProposal 2017*

Do you want free tickets for prom? Are you promposing to your date?
Well, sign-up for the promposal contest where you can win free tickets!
You can sign up with Ms. Jacobs in CCC before or during school.

Guidelines are: -Your promposal does not have to occur on campus but
make sure you record and send it to morgangrace at students.berkeley.net
<mailto:morgangrace at students.berkeley.net>. Contest ends March 20th. May
the best promposal win!

________________________________

*This Week's Lunch Menu*

Week of February 28
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
Salad bar and fresh fruit are offered daily.

Crispy Tacos with Beans, Rice & Toppings,

or

Pizza - Pepperoni or Cheese
Hamburger or Veggie Patty with Cole Slaw

or

Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Moroccan Carrot Salad
Enchilada with Three Bean Salad and Rice

or

Stir Fry Chicken or Edamame & Veggie Lo Mein
Buffalo Chicken or Veggie Wrap

or

Jerk Chicken or Tofu with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Nachos with Beans & Rice

or

Pizza - Pepperoni or Cheese--

____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement /la Política de No
Discriminación:http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<mailto:bhs-leave at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.)If that does not work, you can use the following
URL, either included at the very bottom of each individual message, or
by typing it in the address bar
yourself:http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/put-your-email@address.here

To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to bhs-join at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-join at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: