[BHS Etree] BULLETIN: Student Daily Bulletin, Feb. 16 (Thu)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Feb 16 15:17:05 PST 2017

Announcements are put together in the BHS Main Office, by Felicia Phillips
feliciaphillips at berkeley.net. For those of you who do not hear the
announcements where you are during second period, or if you would like to
read them each day, you can find them in the Daily Bulletin section of
Powerschool.

*A Message from the BHS Administrative Team *
Students, we want to acknowledge that today, across our country, people are
choosing to take national action by participating in a Day Without
Immigrants boycott. We here at BHS do stand as allies with our immigrant
students and staff, and we encourage those of you who are not immigrants to
stand together with those who are. You can do this by listening, asking how
people are feeling about recent national events, and letting them know that
you are a safe person to talk with. We as a school will be continuing to
work on plans and a protocol to keep students safe in the event of any
Immigrations and Customs Enforcement activity in Berkeley. We were aware of
the worries yesterday spreading on social media regarding ICE activity in
the area, and we want to promise that we will investigate any rumors
immediately and let you know if there is any real cause for concern. We
stand with you, and we stand together.

________________________________

*NO SCHOOL on February 17 and 20 *
All Berkeley Unified School District schools and offices will be closed on
Friday, February, 17, for Lincoln's Birthday Holiday and on Monday,
February 20 for Presidents' Day. Classes will resume on Tuesday February 21.
_____________________________

*SENIORS: Final Date for Senior Portraits*

Seniors: If you haven't taken your senior portrait for the yearbook, you
have exactly one more opportunity to be included. Our school photographer
will be on campus Thursday, February 16, and you can schedule an
appointment online. Go to www.abcschoolportraits.com and click on
Portraits. There is no charge to be photographed for the yearbook only.
_______________________________

*Reminders from the BHS Safety Team *
Here are a few reminders from the safety team: our expectation is that
students will leave the Campus Green and M Building areas immediately after
6th period has ended. Students should proceed to Bridge, the CCC,
teacher-led tutorials, the library the courtyard, or off campus. We will
clear the entire campus at 3:45. Thank you for your cooperation as we work
to ensure a safe campus for all students and staff.
_______________________________

*Have You Used Your BHS Organizer Lately? *
On page 79 in your BHS Handbook (also known as the Organizer), you will
find a drawing from AHA senior Justin Owens as well as the following study
& time management tip: Organize your information in a way that works for
you. For more helpful tips and more great artwork from BHS students and
alumni, open your organizer today!
________________________________

*Talent Show Auditions *
"Hello", Jackets! Get in "Formation" for the annual Talent Show auditions.
Don't get "Stressed Out"! Bring your instruments, voice, talents and maybe
your "Coloring Book" to try out for the St. Patrick's Day Talent Show. Be
the next performer to send your "Cranes in the Sky" by signing up for an
audition outside the Leadership Office.
________________________________

*SENIORS: Community College Options*

Seniors: Are you curious about the community college pathway? Come to the
College & Career Center on Thursday during 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th period to
learn more about the community college application process, costs, studying
abroad, transferring to a 4-year institution, and more. To attend, you must
get a pass signed by your teacher; passes are available in the CCC.
________________________________

*COLLEGE/CAREER: Black College Expo Information Session *
Do you want to learn more about this weekend's Black College Expo in
Oakland? A representative from the Expo will be on campus Wednesday,
February 15, 2017 during lunch in the CCC. Students who attend the
lunchtime info session will hear more about historically black colleges and
universities, including college life, financial aid, scholarships and
internships. Students who attend the info session will receive a free
ticket to the Black College Expo on Saturday, February 18, 2017 from 9-5 at
Laney College.

Bring your lunch - come right after 3rd period - don't be late!
Morning Sports Report

Congratulations to the Boys and Girls Varsity Soccer teams on their WINS in
the first round of NCS playoffs!

The boys team defeated Granada at home and will host Foothill in the NCS
quarterfinals at Jacket Stadium on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. The girls
team upset Foothill following a tie during regulation play and 11 rounds of
penalty kicks. Their quarterfinals game will be on the road in San Ramon on
Saturday night at 7:00 pm against California High School.

In other sports action, the boys and girls varsity basketball teams lost to
Castro Valley.

Finally, the seniors on the girls basketball team will be honored on Friday
night before the Bishop O'Dowd game. Please come out and celebrate their
achievements on and off the court!

________________________________

*Love & Respect Pledge*

Do you have 5 minutes to take action for compassion? SHIFT (Sexual Health
Information for Teens) and BHS Stop Harassing will be out on the Campus
Green today with tips on how to be an ally and treats for those who sign
our "Love Is Respect" pledge. Remember, Berkeley High: We are the heroes
we've been waiting for.

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement / la Política de No Discriminación:
http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.)  If that does not
work, you can use the following URL, either included at the very bottom of
each individual message, or by typing it in the address bar yourself:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/put-your-email@address.here

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-join at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*