[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Inauguration Day at BHS

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Jan 18 22:11:28 PST 2017

Dear Parents and Families,

Many of you have heard about protests planned for Friday, January 20,
Inauguration Day. There are various groups across the Bay Area planning
actions that day, and over the weekend. You may have heard on the news
about a flyer from a local group that has stated that Berkeley High
students should walk out of class on Friday and that schools should be
shut down that day.

We are not closing school on Friday, and our expectation is that
students will be present on campus that day, discussing and learning. We
believe that students should be involved in school activities this
Friday - both for on-campus civic engagement and for important review
and instruction for finals next week. Students who leave campus during
school time will receive an unexcused absence, as per California Ed
Code, as we cannot excuse absences for non-school sponsored off-campus
activities.

We do, however, support our students in taking an active interest in
civic engagement. There are plans for on-campus activities that enable
students to understand and address civic issues within the educational
environment. Many teachers are planning relevant lessons on Friday, and
student leaders and staff are planning noon-time activities that day to
provide opportunities for students to talk about the inauguration and
the role of citizens in our democracy. These activities will include a
letter-writing campaign to state and federal leaders, as well as
creation of a list of goals that are important to our students for the
new President to consider.

A coalition of Berkeley High student leadership groups also plans to
hold a voluntary, student-led assembly on campus in early February
entitled ‘Moving Forward,’ focused on positive activism and engagement
in the political process. We also understand that many students, family
and staff members will be attending the Women’s March on Saturday,
January 21st, or have other plans for civic and community action.

The 2016 presidential election has stirred up strong feelings among
students, staff members and families. We want our students to know they
are supported by their families, schools and community through this
challenging time in our nation’s history, and one of the ways we support
them is through providing opportunities for learning about history, our
government, and the many forms of civic engagement that have moved our
country forward.

Our primary commitment on Friday, and every day, is to keep students
safe. As we said on November 9, we feel it is our responsibility to
notify parents that our control over proceedings out in the community,
and our ability to supervise students off campus diminishes as the day
goes on, as the size of events like these grow, and as other groups join
in. We will have student safety foremost in our priorities, and will
also communicate with families and community about any activities of
note. In the meantime, we hope you will talk to your students about your
priorities for the day and ensure they are in communication with you
about their activities.

Thank you for your time and attention to this message,

Erin Schweng, on behalf of the BHS Administrative Team

--

Vice Principal, Berkeley High School

Berkeley Unified School District
(510) 644-4566

D-159

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

BUSD Non-Discrimination Statement /la Política de No
Discriminación:http://bit.ly/BUSDNDPolicy

<mailto:bhs-leave at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.)If that does not work, you can use the following
URL, either included at the very bottom of each individual message, or
by typing it in the address bar
yourself:http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/put-your-email@address.here

To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to bhs-join at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-join at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line: