[BHS Etree] ADMIN: Post-Election Statement

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Nov 16 11:51:20 PST 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow,
sampasarow at berkeley.net

Dear Berkeley High Families, Staff, and Students,

We, the administration of Berkeley High School, are writing to share with
you our commitment to making this school a place where all students are
safe and included, where differing experiences, backgrounds and viewpoints
are welcome, and where we challenge and disagree with ideas, not with one
another. On our campus, there has been a lot of hurt and anger while
students, staff, and families grapple with the presidential election
result. While our peaceful walkout, ensuing class discussions, and
activities have largely been a unifying force, there are at least a few
instances where divisions and hurt feelings have resulted from students
holding differing views and sharing them in a way that led to more hurt and
anger as a result. We each have an important role to play in ensuring that
BHS remains a school community for all students.

We want to make it clear that while students - and all of us - enjoy our
First Amendment rights to free speech, we are aware that around the
country, this right is being twisted into hateful words and actions. At
Berkeley High School, we commit to investigating any and all reports of
hateful speech, with the intent to support students who disagree in being
able to hold a dialogue in which all can be heard. When and if that speech
crosses into territory that merits possible consequences or further
administrative action, we will pursue it as necessary.

Many students report feeling depressed, unable to focus in class, and
worried for their families’ futures. We ask that you pay close attention to
the needs of your students, with increased attention and care for our
Muslim, Jewish, LGBTQIA, female, immigrant, Latino, African American,
Dreamer or any other students who may feel increasingly targeted or unsafe
in our current political climate. Moreover, we reaffirm the City of
Berkeley's sanctuary status for Dreamers and remind everyone that we will
not allow ICE on BHS campus. At the same time, we know that there are also
many students who desire nothing more than to return to “normal” teaching
and learning. Knowing how to hold all these needs in one safe place is one
of the biggest challenges you are likely to face in these days ahead, and
we are so thankful for your care for and support of our students as you do
that.

Our legacy here at Berkeley High School has long been one of inclusion,
celebration of diverse points of view, and a place where each person can
find something they value and can be a part of. Students are the holders of
this legacy, poised to model for our nation what thoughtful disagreement
across differences looks like, what listening from the heart looks like,
what activism looks like, and what unity looks like. We are proud of you.
We will protect you and support you. Each of us has a role in this
community to ensure that the legacy of BHS remain strong.

In solidarity,

The Berkeley High School Administrative Team

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

one word only in the subject line: *unsubscribe *(The request must be sent
from the email address that is subscribed to the list.)  If that does not
work, you can use the following URL, either included at the very bottom of
each individual message, or by typing it in the address bar yourself:
http://lists.lmi.net/mailman/options/bhs/put-your-email@address.here

To *subscribe* to the etree, send an email to bhs-join at lmi.net with one
word only in the subject line: *subscribe*