[BHS Etree] ADMIN: All-School Parent Meeting Sept 28 (Wed.)

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Tue Sep 27 16:57:36 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow,
sampasarow at berkeley.net <mailto:sampasarow at berkeley.net>

Dear Parents and Guardians,

I hope to see you tomorrow evening,* Wednesday, September 28 at 6:30
* at the Berkeley High School library.

At this meeting, any parents and guardians who are interested in serving
on the committees outlined below will be able to introduce themselves to
the community as part of the evening meeting. We’ll start elections that
night and conclude by September 30th so we can be up and running with
our committees in October.

Thank you to those of you who have nominated yourselves to be on one of
our committees. We would like to have equal representation from all of
our learning communities, if you are interested but haven't yet
nominated yourself, we still welcome your application here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdKv5wF8RKq-EDIz77OttaHPGI_xKKorozaJk4QVOI1JOtItA/viewform>.

Wednesday's meeting will address the following items:

  * Reflecting on successes & challenges from the 15/16 school year
  * Our key focus areas in 16/17
  * Introducing new members of the BHS administration
  * BHS Committee Candidate speeches

Part of building a strong school community includes the participation of
parents and guardians in school committees, so that we can make sound
decisions on how to use resources in support of the many programs and
initiatives at Berkeley High. Please see the attached flyer
<https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5b76ulyMWzsWlJhTTNPdlZ4bW8> for a
description of the committees (information also included below):

  * BHS School Site Council (SSC)
  * BHS BSEP Site Committee
  * District BSEP Planning and Oversight (P&O) Committee
  *

I hope to see you tomorrow evening at 6:30 pm.

Sam Pasarow

Principal

*BHS PTSA*

The Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) at Berkeley High is
committed to providing collaborative opportunities for members of the
school community to work together to change things for the better.
Attend the September PTSA meeting to find out more, vote and volunteer.
The most effective committees - the ones that have the most positive
impact on both school climate and student achievement - are diverse and
representative of the whole community. Bring your unique perspective to
one of these groups of parent leaders, who work with students, teachers,
staff and administrators to strengthen the school for all.

Contact: Orlando Williams orlandow at ymail.com <mailto:orlandow at ymail.com>

**

*School Site Council (SSC)*

This elected committee reviews Berkeley High’s educational programs and
student achievement data, and supports the development and updating of
the school-wide Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA), which is
part of the accreditation process at the high school. In addition to
monitoring the Plan, the SSC approves the School Safety and the BSEP
Site Plans. Meets once (sometimes twice) a month on a Tuesday from 4:00
to 6:00 pm.

Contact: Jana Jandra janajandra at berkeley.net
<mailto:janajandra at berkeley.net>

**

*BHS BSEP Site Committee*

Parents elected to this committee have a role in allocating site funds
that come from the local Berkeley Schools Excellence Program (BSEP)
Measure A. The committee reviews the programs that currently receive
funding and considers proposals for funding new programs that support
student  achievement and school goals. Meets once (sometimes twice) a
month on a Monday, 4:30-6:30 pm.

Contact: Jana Jandra janajandra at berkeley.net
<mailto:janajandra at berkeley.net>

**

*ELAC (English Learner Advisory Committee)*

This committee advises school staff on programs and services for English
Learners, and makes recommendations to the SGC regarding funds used to
improve the achievement of English language learners. At many sites,
this group is also responsible for instituting cultural events and
broadening community outreach.

Contact: Tamara Friedman tamarafriedman at berkeley.net
<mailto:tamarafriedman at berkeley.net>

**

*DELAC (District English Learner Advisory Committee)*

Each school’s ELAC has the opportunity to elect at least one member to
the DELAC, which advises the district on programs and services for
English Learners. DELAC members also represent English Learner students
and families in the plans to expend state funds under the new Local
Control Funding Formula.

Contact: Ann Marie Callegari anncallegari at berkeley.net
<mailto:anncallegari at berkeley.net>

**

*BSEP P&O (Planning & Oversight) Committee*

If you are interested in how BSEP dollars are spent district-wide,
become one of your school’s BSEP Planning & Oversight (P&O) Committee
members. Learn how BSEP keeps class sizes smaller, supports our teachers
and, through this Measure, provides for school libraries, music and
visual arts programs, technology and a site-determined wish list.

Contact: Valerie Tay valerietay at berkeley.net
<mailto:valerietay at berkeley.net>

**

*BAF (Berkeley High School Athletic Fund)*

For many students, athletics is the reason they attend school every day.
If you are passionate about supporting sports at BHS, join this group of
volunteers who do everything from mentoring athletes to fundraising and
stuffing envelopes. The volunteers come from all walks of life and
welcome new members at their monthly meetings.

Contact: Betsy Foster**betsyfoster at mindspring.com
<mailto:betsyfoster at mindspring.com>

**

*BHSDG (Berkeley High School Development Group)*

Founded in 1991, this group of parent volunteers has taken on the
fundraising role of a PTA by forming a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation,
and works to “support and strengthen the educational experience of all
BHS students by raising and distributing funds to enhance academic and
other projects.” Meetings are once a month and are open to all.

Contact: Co-Presidents Christine Staples & Jennifer Villeneuve
info at bhsdg.org <mailto:info at bhsdg.org>

**

*PAC (Parent Advisory Committee)*

The PAC is a forum for parents to provide input for the school
district's plan for state funds under the new Local Control Funding
Formula. These funds are allocated by the state in a formula which
counts each district's proportion of English Learners, students who
qualify for free and reduced price meals, and foster children. The role
of the PAC is to review and comment on a Local Control and
Accountability Plan (LCAP).

Contact Pat Saddler patriciasaddler at berkeley.net
<mailto:patriciasaddler at berkeley.net>

/In addition to the committees listed, here are some key resources:/

**

*Parent Resource Center*

BHS Main Building, 2nd Floor

Contact: Irma Parker irmaparker at berkeley.net
<mailto:irmaparker at berkeley.net>

**

*Parent Volunteer Office*

Contact: Lisa Sibony lisasibony at berkeley.net
<mailto:lisasibony at berkeley.net>

**

*BHS E-Tree Volunteers*

BHS-owner at lmi.net <mailto:BHS-owner at lmi.net>

**

*Parents of Children of African Descent (PCAD)*

Contact: Laura Babitt lbabitt at yahoo.com <mailto:lbabitt at yahoo.com>

**

*Chicano Latino Academic Social Success (CLASS)*

Contact: Lupe Gallegos lupeg at berkeley.edu <mailto:lupeg at berkeley.edu>

_____________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list.)
To _subscribe_ to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*