[BHS Etree] ADMIN: BHS Redesign Community Letter, June 2016

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Wed Jun 29 13:37:41 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow,
sampasarow at berkeley.net

June 29, 2016

Dear Berkeley High School, Longfellow, Willard, and King Middle School
Families,

Although the 2016-17 school year has come to a close, I want to provide
one final update on the BHS redesign efforts that have been underway
since the beginning of this school year.

First, I’d like to say THANK YOU! to all the parents, guardians, and
families who came out over the last six weeks to one or more of the nine
family workshops we held at Berkeley High, and at each of our three
middle schools, to learn about and give us feedback on the ideas we are
working on to redesign Berkeley High School. We received extremely
useful feedback that has helped us understand what is important to our
families, as well as great questions that we will be working to answer
more fully as the work progresses. (When school resumes after summer,
please keep an eye out for answers to some of the frequently asked
questions!)

I also want to extend a public appreciation to the BHS Teacher Co-Leads
of the Design Team, Tamara Friedman and Hasmig Minassian, who have
worked tirelessly this whole year to shepherd this well-organized and
inclusive process. I have been thoroughly impressed by their leadership
as well as the commitment and energy of the entire Design Team of
teachers, administrators, staff, students, and parents who have all had
a part in this group effort.

*BHS Redesign Proposal*

After studying and developing several proposals based on the research of
effective high schools, the Design Team gathered input from the Berkeley
High staff and from a multitude of student clubs and parent groups.
Since then, our staff and Design Team have coalesced around one
particular redesign proposal with several key elements that aims to
provide excellent educations for /all/ Berkeley High students.

Though some of the changes being considered are specific to the high
school program for 9th grade students, a few of the elements would need
to be implemented school-wide. For example, if we decide to change our
current six period day to a modified block schedule (students not
meeting with every class every day), then this would need to be
implemented at all grade levels in the 2017-18 school year.
Additionally, this redesigned schedule would provide every 9th and 10th
grade student with an advisory class.

For more details about the essential elements of the BHS redesign
proposal, please take a look at the updated BHS webpage on the redesign:
http://bhs.berkeleyschools.net/bhs-school-redesign-process/

The redesign proposal, and the research and thinking behind the redesign
elements, were presented and discussed at a recent School Board Study
Session. The session is archived on youtube and can be viewed online
here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg4CgKM2qDw

*Next Steps*

We are now in the process of conducting a thorough analysis of our
budget and current resource allocations in order to determine how we
might be able to pay for the redesign proposal. I will be working with
members of my administrative team and district budget analysts over the
summer to examine the fiscal trade-offs that would be required to fund
the redesign. My hope is to make a formal presentation to the
superintendent and school board on the status of the redesign in September.

In addition to the varied benefits for our students, the redesign of
Berkeley High School is also intended to create structures that better
support our teachers. We will be in close communication with Berkeley
Federation of Teachers (BFT - the union representing Berkeley teachers)
and the school district around how this redesign would impact the
current BUSD/BFT contract and what the timeline would be for addressing
BFT/BUSD negotiations, should the proposal get approval from the Board.

We’re looking forward to continuing our outreach efforts as soon as
school resumes, and we will keep you informed of any new developments
and opportunities to learn more.

As I have mentioned in prior communications both by email and in the
family workshops, we have been making steady improvements in teaching
and learning and in creating a positive school culture, and this path
toward excellence for all students will continue, whether or not we are
able to implement these structural changes in 2017-18.

Thank you for your support as we work together to make Berkeley High
School the best it can be for all students.

GO JACKETS!

Sam Pasarow

Principal

___________________________

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(/The request must be sent from the email address that is
subscribed to the list/.)

To _subscribe _to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net> with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*