[BHS Etree] ADMIN: New Members of the BHS Administrative Team for the 2016/2017 School Year

BHS Etree bhs at lists.lmi.net
Thu Jun 16 18:00:31 PDT 2016

PLEASE do not reply to this email, contact Sam Pasarow,
sampasarow at berkeley.net

Hello Berkeley High Families,

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to let you know about
some staffing changes on the Berkeley High Administration for the
upcoming 2016/2017 school year.

​We are welcoming two Vice Principals and a Dean of Students to the
team. Please find below their bios and if/when you get a chance, please
welcome them to our vibrant school community.

It's been a great year and for families with 12th graders, I cannot wait
for tomorrow's graduation. Thanks for your attention, and,

GO JACKETS!

Sam

***

*Shannon Fierro - Vice Principal *

Shannon's educational background includes a bachelor's degree in French
from Dickinson College, a master's degree in French Studies from New
York University, and a master's degree in Education from Harvard
University. While obtaining her degrees in French, she studied abroad in
Toulouse and Paris.

Her work experience includes working presently as a Director of
Instructional Coaching for Aspire Public Schools; and previously as
Supervisor of Formative Assessment for San Francisco Unified School
District, assistant principal in New York, and as a teacher of French,
English as a second Language, Spanish and Drama.

One of her references states, "Shannon is a caring and thoughtful person
who has a way of making everyone with whom she works feel supported and
inspired. She is skilled at promoting a collegial environment that
values collaboration with teachers, principals and central office
colleagues. She is an engaged and insightful contributor during weekly
meetings and broader organizational vision setting sessions."

Another reference writes, "Recognizing Shannon's skills, I asked her to
mentor new teachers and supervise the special education department. She
approached these new tasks with intensity, professionalism, and a
commitment to excellence. She quickly educated herself on the complex
special education system, made contacts throughout the district, and
restructured the program to better serve our ever increasing special
education population. She has then been consulted by other schools and
district administrators to advise on program design."

*Tamara Friedman - Vice Principal *

Tamara's educational background includes a bachelor's degree in
Spanish from Georgetown University, a master's degree in education from
Stanford University, and a master's in school administration from Cal.

She has served as an educator in various capacities. She has served as a
Spanish and English Language Development teacher at Berkeley High School
since 1994, professional development lead teacher at Berkeley High
School for the past 3 years, and for two years as an adjunct professor
at the University of San Francisco. Tamara is also a National Board
Certified teacher.

One of her references writes, Tamara Friedman is not only a leader.
She's a leader of leaders. I've watched her co-facilitate meetings with
the teacher leaders at Berkeley High School for two years.Tamara is
focused and determined to achieved our school-wide goals, but she
carries herself with extraordinary emotional intelligence. She can be
agenda driven, and also caring and flexible. I can go on and on about
Tamara's leadership accomplishments at Berkeley High School. She's
already an extraordinary educator. She'll continue to be as she grows
into new responsibilities as school administrator. I give her my
highest, most enthusiastic recommendation for an administrative position
in our district."

Please welcome Tamara to our administrative team and let her know how
you can support her as she transitions to her new role.

*Kiernan Rok - Dean of Students *

Kiernan's educational background includes a bachelor's degree from
Bard College in political studies, human rights and Latin America
studies and a master's degree in special education from San Francisco
State University. His educational experience includes approximately 10
years of service as a general education and special education teacher
and 2 years of administrative experience as assistant principal in
Oakland Unified School District. While in Oakland, he was trained in
restorative justice practices and received the Teaching Excellence Award.

One of Kiernan's references writes, "Kiernan's leadership skills,
interpersonal communication skills, and outstanding
teaching practices have a reputation campus-wide. Although he is the 8th
grade administrator, he is the first person anyone on staff goes to when
faced with a challenge at school...He is flexible, compassionate, open
to feedback, and reflective.  There is not a decision he makes without
first giving considerable thought as to the purpose and intended
outcome...Kiernan inspires educators to grow and meet the challenges of
teaching. He holds the students with whom he works and the adults
with whom he leads, to a high standard, but provides support to help us
all achieve that standard. He can hold firm boundaries while also
empowering those involved. Kiernan empowers students to make choices
that help them develop confidence, independence and accountability.  He
partners with families and builds strong relationships with parents. His
genuine nature balanced with his wealth of knowledge about teaching and
leading others makes him the most inspiring and effective administrator
I have ever had the pleasure of working with."

--

Sam Pasarow

Principal

Marguerite Fa-Kaji, Catherine Ference and Dylan Kaufman are the
parent-volunteer facilitators of the Etree; please direct any questions
about the Etree to them at bhs-owner at lmi.net <mailto:bhs-owner at lmi.net>.

BHS etree archives: http://lists.lmi.net/pipermail/bhs/

<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>with one word only in the subject line:
*unsubscribe *(/T//he request must be sent from the email address that
is subscribed to the list/.)

To _subscribe _to the etree, send an email to bhs-request at lmi.net
<mailto:bhs-request at lmi.net>with one word only in the subject line:
*subscribe*